Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824100
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Feral Fix 308
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gelandangan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

@Vince & Popgun.

I am not actually blaming the seller in the first place. I am willing to work it out with them. It does take about 1 hour to drive from where I am to them, but I am willing to came in person to talk and solve the problems amicably. I even planned to purchase a larger, way more expensive RCBS Rock Chucker from them on the same day. The problems are, fisrtly, in Australia, the retailer are responsible in returning the item sold by them to the distributor/importer/manufacturer should there are problem under warranty (believe me I know. I am a retailer myself) . Secondly, here I am coming from far away, trying to explain my problem, and straight away, after the "I got a problem with this press...", they throw "we are not responsible for them". Never even they open the box and see what the problems are, nor did they suggest for any other alternative solution.

Yes, they may make less profit than other resellers, but, it is not my fault they do that. Taking less profit is not a cause for them to behave bad towards a customer. Mad Mad Mad

AAARGGGHHH!!!! Now my mood is ruined. I re live the day. Mad Mad Mad

Be back later Smile

Gelan

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

To match the accuracy of the load you can get real close by weighing the bullet and measuring the velocity. Using a bullet of that weight and a powder that safely generates the same velocity you should be close to the same accuracy - even if the bullet and powder are different. you may have to adjust the load a bit up or down but you should be close to the accuracy that you want.
I would just start from zero and start working up loads - I enjoy the process, it keeps me interested in the loading process.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Horsley Park Gelan. I have been dealing with them on and off for the past 30 years and have nothing but praise for them. However, having said that you well have encountered someone having a bad day.

What Popgun said is also totally correct. The gunshop is not obliged to honour the manufacturers warranty, although some do. I agree with Popgun...email Lee, outline the problem and see if they will send you a new part. Alternatively, get onto the importer/agent and put it to them. Whichever way, I will be surprised if you are ignored.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
popgun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

Quote::
coz in the box it said LIFETIME WARRANTY

We all want to blame the store we purchased the product from when something goes wrong. But, in this case the product warranty is from the manufacturer, as is usually the case, not the retailer. Few retailers can afford to honor all the manufacturers warranties themselves. It would be nice but it just does not work that way. We often hear the same complaint about MidwayUSA, Lock Stock & Barrel, Midsouth Shooters Supply and others but the responsibility for honoring warranty work rests with the manufacturer.
If you are down under I see your problem in that shipping to the factory would be at your expense and not cheap. In the case of Lee products it would be cheaper for you to buy a replacement than pay the shipping. You can see why the retailer does not want to represent you in a product failure.
Send an email to Lee and see if they will simply ship the part to you. Worth a try.
info @ leeprecision.com

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
gelandangan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

@Sniper
I been shooting since 1984 and reloading since 1995 when a mate sold me his dillon square deal to reload .38/.357 pistol. It soon joined with .45 conversion kit. Then in 2002 at a local gun swap show I acquire a lyman turret for $50. For it I got dies for .223, .243,.308 and two wildcats (a.32 and the 300 whisper). I mostly load for my .243 because i used it a lot for plinking and whatnots. I acquired 6000 rounds of Norico 223 FMJ loads for $360 back in 1997 and still using them, so I never load for 223 before. Then I got lucky with the Feral Fix for my 308 before I even unpack and set up for my .308 dies.
So in all, I reloaded over 10000 rounds of .38/.357 and about 5000 .45ACP. But in rifle cartridges, I have only do about 500 of .243. I have loaded about 150 in the .32 wildcat and about 100 for my .300 whisper.
Oh yeah, I also own a few Lee Loader hammer reloading tools and made a few functional loads out ot them.

It seems that my most loaded ammo is by far the .38/.375 and the .45ACP pistol rounds, but then again, in the range every weekend, it is too easy to let go of 200 - 300 rounds in a practice comps.
I use my rifle mostly for hunting and the main spieces are pigs and goats.
So there.. I am a novice. I seek wisdom Oh Wise Master...

@Vince,
I have had pretty bad experience with Horseley park in the past. I bought a Lee start up loading kit, broke the lever in the first case sizing because apparently the casting has a large air bubble on it so it is weakened, brought it back coz in the box it said LIFETIME WARRANTY. And lo and behold, the Horsleypark idiots do not want to even listen to me nor willing to sent the set back to lee under warranty. They even have the gall to ask me to pay restocking fee for me to return it to them. I called consumer attairs and got the trouble straighten out. This is back quite a few years ago before I started to reload for my rifles. I say.. never again.

@ Bushy and Shipster
I think I may have to sacrifice a few more pistol shooting comps days to do the load testing for my new 308 replica Feral FIx...

Oh well.. I could think of worse things to do.. like mowing the lown... OUCH!!! Yes dear.. I'll do it first thing this sunday.. Yes dear, before I go to the range.. Ouch!! could you stop smacking me witht eh new ironing board!!

SorryIgottogonow
Gelan

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Shipster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

Well, Bushmaster besides being a avid hunter I also compete in USPSA IPSC pistol and Multi-gun matches. Since I'm limited to hunting for only a few weeks out of the year I spend the rest of my trigger time competing. The term mike is a missed target and since I don't like missing the term nomikes was born.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

Where did you come up with "nomikes" anyway. Just curious.

Mike

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Shipster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

gelandangan there is some things you can do to shorten the process. First you can identify the brass which brand was used, by pulling the bullet you MAY be able to identify the bullets manufacture, and weigh the bullet and to get the weight. The primer maybe difficult but then again it may not. After accumulating what you can use a loading manual to find suitable powders to begin your testing. As stated you may or may not be able to duplicate what you had, BUT you should have fun trying. I know I would.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

Oooh....I want to go....Free sausage sizzle...

Sounds like you are in for a real operation there Gelandangan. Just think of all the fun you are going to have testing all the different types of powders, bullets, cases and primers until you find the combination that works.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...

Last edited by Bushmaster on Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:40 am; edited 2 times in total
sniper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

Gelan;

Would you please answer a few questions for me?

How long have you been shooting and/or reloading?

What calibers do you regularly shoot/reload for?

At what game? Size, species, etc.

Even if that one load works fine in your rifle, there are certainly others that will work as well. Treat yourself to a sampling of factory loads, and test them in your rifle, even if you find more of your good one.
The .308 is a most forgiving caliber, and will probably shoot well with a few other loads.

To echo Popgun and Vince, NEVER try to identify a powder by physical apearance. It is a safety thing!
Bullets are hard, too. The visual difference between 30 cal. 150 and 165 gr. spitzers is very small.
Once more, I commend to you the careful reading of a good reloading manual, particularly the several chapters which deal with basic "how to." The Lyman books haven't changed that section in years!

That is also a safety thing, which is the main thing when dabbling in a hazardous activity like reloading or shooting. Be careful and safe!
gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

Dimitri, I tried the Hog Stopper, it does not do it on the accuracy test.

Popgun, I think you are right. I should just built up the accuracy by slow reloads.

being lazy, I was looking for a shortcut...

Gelan

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

gelandangan, how are you mate?

Listen to what Popgun has said....go back and read it over and over to make sure you understand it. DO NOT under any circumstances try to duplicate a load by visual identification of the powder.....you WILL destroy your rifle, and probably yourself. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Mate, Raytrade is in Dandenong South in Victoria...I will PM you contact details for them. Drop them a line and ask them about the rounds you are looking for, they will be able to tell you if they are still available or if there is a replacement and where you could find them.

Alternatively give them a ring at Horsley Park Gun Shop, David should be able to help you out with something.

Horsley Park Gun Shop

Finally, develop a load to suit your rifle. Its a lot of fun and very satisfying when it all comes together. Yell if you need a hand mate.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
1895ss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

Popgun is right, you would be best to work up your own load using powder that works best in your gun, recomended for that caliber. I'm sure something out there would work as well. There may be a little trial and error as per accuracy but that's what reloading is all about and that's why we reload.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

You are right Popgun. My mistake. Sad

Dimitri

popgun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Feral Fix 308 Reply with quote

Quote::
I ment find the powder by elimiation by figuring out what powders are avalible and a safe charge would be equal to a equivilant ADI powder.

Again, you can not identify a powder by its shape, size, color, or anything else. There are powders that are not available to the public for reloading that many factory rounds use for components. Also, Powders are discontinued all the time, changed, etc. etc. You might as well hold a lighted stick of dynamite in your hand while attempting to identify and use a powder used in a factory round. I refer you to the safety sections of any reloading manual. While there go to the caliber, in this case 308, and look for the most accurate powder tested for a particular bullet weight. That is the place to start.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2