Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Food for long term storage?
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

Vince...Be careful which websites you go to. A lot of them want you to spend a lot of money, which isn't necessary. A lot of what they tell you will not work over the long run because they have never been there. and I love their "experts" too. Yes I do. I've lived on dehydrated foods for a week when on horse back in the Cascades or Rockies. At the end of those 6 days I might kill for one bean from a pork & bean can.

eeyouelder...And what do you do when you run out of gas and you can not replenish or get more gas for that generator?

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
BigBlue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

Canned prepared food has one great plus, most of it doesn't need cooking.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

What, BigBlue?? You can't build a fire? I hate cold beans or cold spam. How 'bout you?

How you going to protect yer stash? Those "city folk" like Pumpkinslinger will be poundin at your door wanting a free hand out... Very Happy

Where's Suz??

Last edited by Bushmaster on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
eeyouelder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

Hello Bushmaster,

If I would have run out of gas, that is a luxury that would have been gone. We used the generator sparsely in order to stretch out the gasoline. The twenty cords of maple that I had, was enough to keep the fire going and keep the house warm. Drinking water was another problem, the twenty gallons in the reserve we had, was not enough, so we had to melt snow and boil the water. A large pail of water on the stove allowed us to wash but we did not have the luxury of a shower until I hooked up a pail with a shower head and would hang up that pail on the ceiling aver the shower. That was good enough for a qwick wash every two days (water shortage). The toilet was a big headache but a plastic bag in a 5 gallon pail solved it temporarily. We also had some old oil lamps and a deck of card to help pass the time. I also had to shovel the roof of its four feet of snow, and use the chainsaw to clear the few trees that came down.
A fun time was had by all.

Last edited by eeyouelder on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

Interesting post.
So far its raised more questions than pumpkins gotten answers.
You guys are a country of 300 million odd people.
200 million of those live hand to mouth in the cities with never more than 5 days food in the house.
This isnt the 1800's any more and 95% of people couldn't grow, hunt or fish enough food to sustain themselves let alone a family of 4 to 6.
So unless you have a year or mores supply of non perishable food, (work out how much that actually is and get a shock), a good hidden water supply, clothes and the means to mend them, medical and hygiene products, and the knowledge to use them and a very low well defended profile the migrating grasshoppers will take what you have.
Gasoline these days has a shelf life of 3 months, diesel not much better. natural gas or LPG can be used but needs quite large or quite a lot of storage tanks to maintain a years supply especially if you are also using it for refrigeration. ( More space)
Also remember when the lights go out and your place has lights due to your generator, you are a target.
You grow food out side, you are a target.
You look reasonably well fed amongst the starving horde, you are a target.
Work out what you need for 1 person for a year, look at how much space that requires, multply by 6 for 4 people ( allow for spoilage, rats etc) very few here would have the room or the resources to swing this and keep it maintained.
Back to Pumpkins query, canned foods with as new a manufacturing date as possible, freeze dried foods, vacuum sealed food (grains, dried fruits, beef jerky, beans etc) will all store well if kept dry and in the dark.
Dont forget variety eating the same thing every day will wear on you pretty quick, especially in a stressful situation like the one everyone seems to be thinking of.
On the other hand the US has an obesity problem so it will take on average 45 days for people to start dropping from starvation after the system shuts down........

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

Now we're get there...

Info for dhc4ever. Gasoline has a much longer shelf life than you stated. It will last over a year if stablized and recirculated. Diesel fuel has an indefinate shelf life is aerated by recirculating it. The idea of diesel fuel is to keep the flash point high (100 to 130 degrees F) and air will do just that.

Thought for a while I was going to have to get paranoid about this.

Where's Suz?

Last edited by Bushmaster on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
eeyouelder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

During that crisis, my wife and I were the only people left in our neighbourhood. Everyone abandoned their house and went to the government emergency shelters were they were taken care of. Upon their return home many found that the water pipes had frozen and that the basement was flooded. They also had a lot of claims for lost food, trees fallen on the house, break and enter etc. We survived and had no insurance claims and were thankful for the experience. Since then we are prepared for the next storm if ever it comes.
The fact that I trap in a remote area for two months of the year allowed me to face that situation with a positive attitude.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

eeyouelder...You were tested...Now move up to one year.

We are talkin' complete failure of the whole system and you are on your own.

Where's Suz?

eeyouelder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

You are right Bushmaster. I was tested and now I have more confidence in myself and how we can try to survive. I feel that I am better prepared than the mass of my next door neighbours
There is an article on that ice storm at the following site if you are interested:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...rm_of_1998
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

Went through an ice storm here in Missouri (Ozarks) in 2007/8. Prooved to be very interesting. Still got the horses fed. Cooked on a Coleman stove. Had 50 gallons of water in my pressure tank and used a coleman lantern at night. No power for a week. Not a problem or hardship there.

What are you going to do when people are knockin' at your door lookin' for handouts and you know this is going to be a long while before infrastructure is up and running?

Suzanne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

What!What!What! Sheeeesh Bushkatooter!! Ok I wasn't real willing to chime in here, sort of a self preservation thing that every one has to work out for himself. But I will tell you that everything you need (I said need) is right outside your door, not in your pantry, refrigerator or local grocery store. Unless you're like me and need some meds to get you to tomorrow. I lived on tortillas and oat meal for months at a time when we didn't have any money, we picked cactus fruit and ate lots of stuff we scrounged in the desert including lizards and snakes, rabbits and bugs. We had lots of water and electricity but not much else. I never worry about food. There's so much wasted food here it's embarrasing. If you put yourself in survival mode and forget about getting something from neighbors for a while, you'll learn what you need and what you can get by without. I've eaten horse feed, mesquite beans, cracked corn for chickens we used to make corn meal after grinding it up. Don't waste your energy looking for stuff, sit back and relax and enjoy the ride. The world is your oyster, live in a place where there's edibles and water and it's vacation time again. Live in a big city and stay there by yourself helpless and starving unless you're into dumpster diving (like everyone else would be). My grandparents lived through the depression and didn't even know it happened, they lived a farming life which included some hardships but also lived into very old age. Stop worring about "what ifs" and live your happly life. Move away from disaster prone situations because you're only setting yourself up for another disaster. Ok you got me started....BushM.

Dried this and that will get you through if you have lots of water and don't mind being hungry. Bread making is a great thing to learn too. I've got a sour-dough bread (you don't need yeast to make sour-dough bread) that you can put any sort of nuts, dried ground beans and corn, sugar, eggs,dried fruit and other nutrients in and probably live on that for quite a while. The thing with bread is it's filling and satisfying to your hunger cravings. Makes great pancakes, sweet rolls and lot's of hearty filling stuff. Surprisingly easy to make too.

What are you going to do when people are knockin' at your door lookin' for handouts and you know this is going to be a long while before infrastructure is up and running?

Run to Bushy's house!!! (bring a gun tho) That's something nobody should be without.

eeyouelder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

In case of a major event (the big one), from my experience gathered during the ice storm, I think that most of my neighbours, who are not outdoors types, will leave and go to government shelters and look for handouts there. Than when there is a knock at the door I will have to take a hard decision as to what I should do ......help people in a desperate situation or lock and load.
If it is a situation, were enough time is available, enough forewarning that the SHTF situation is coming, than I will get in the truck and go to the trapping camp. There I can live of the land if the need arises.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

Well... Some good info here and Bushy makes excellent points on long term survival.

However what I meant to ask about, and didn't make clear, was stuff like this for getting through a hurricane and the aftermath, etc.

www.wisefoodsupply.com...orage.html

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

Getting through natural disasters is easy. The hard part is geting through a major shut down. You know...The proverbial brown stuff hitting the resistence of a strong man made breeze.

I'm married to a Morman. I'm known to haer church as "Brother non member". Storms are small stuff for them.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Food for long term storage? Reply with quote

Bring all yer ammunition to Suz. You'll need it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 2 of 4