No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread.
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Reply with quote

Made a couple changes to my tactical Govt. Model. Swapped grips and added a lamp. The Slimtec grip panels are really nice for CC but, a little thin and slick for general use, esp when it got hot out.

Anyway's, this thing is still mostly all Colt. It rattles, has a stock barrel etc, yet, it's very accurate. I like to watch the snobs cringe when I shake it...then knock the center out of the SEB eye triangle @10y. Why 10y? Anything farther and you should be seeking cover. Or a rifle. I made it for night fighting/QCB. No target trigger here, it's 5# plus w/ 1mm of take up. Last thing you want is a "magazine" light trigger when yer pulse is pounding and adrenaline is flowing. Runs on six McCormick and six Wilson Elite 8 round mags. This is not a pretty gun, it's a fighter. It's been there, eats everything I feed it, thousands of rounds later, I'm stil proud of it. It's a one off for sure. Enjoy!!!

All Colt. Except as follows:
Dehorned and shotpeened. Pport lowered and flared.
Wilson: GS & Lock, trigger and hammer.
Novak: rail, sights w/ Triji inserts.
Mil-Tac G-10 tactical flat bottom grips..man are these sweet.
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Reply with quote

stovepipe wrote:
the shorter mag is a great idea. im not wild about a 25rd long 10rd mag...

Here is a magazine comparison. I used Krylon Camo paint to match my olive-drab furniture. Worked great!

10 vs 25 round magazine comparison.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.32 KB
 Viewed:  5398 Time(s)

10 vs 25 round magazine comparison.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

Oh, here is where I got them.

www.alliedarmory.com/p...Short.html

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

once again, yer lookin out fer me. those are just the ticket, thanks man. gonna order me up a few asap. dig the OD magpul goodies too. nice touch.

you likey my nightfighter? man it feels good in the hand now...gotta reduced hardball load w/ x-treme 230gr CPRN & W231 that saves wear on it and shoots a treat. oooo-that was post 1911, how appropriate! Laughing
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

stovepipe wrote:
you likey my nightfighter? ..... oooo-that was post 1911, how appropriate!

Definitely a good looking rig!! One of these days I'll get me a 1911, too! Missed the significance of the post - great fate!

stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

ended up calling s&w to order them mags. only ones that had them. got 2 comin for 49$ delivered. cant wait. i dont like the blocked long mag, too clunky and hard to load more than 6 round w/o the assist button- for some reason my long mag has no assist button on the side. them short ones are just the ticket and will really tidy up the package and be much easier to carry on my belt in the field. mucho thanks mr. slim on the tip!

field stripped it last night and was gonna swab the bore and get it ready to break in....ejector blade is in the way of the rod. Mad i dont like bore snakes for real cleaning but have one for my 22's so i started it and it in and got stuck. aint strong eniugh to yank it thruogh. had to wait for my roomie to get home to help pull it back out the breech, didnt want to break the leader off, wow was it tight. i think my snake is is still too new for this rifle. might need some breakin in or a cycle or two in the washer. got it hanging with a weight on the end to stretch it out some. i ended up going in from the muzzle then adding the loop jag when the rod came through the chamber then pulled it back out the muzzle. kind of a pain and slow but whatever works.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

the hang a weight from the end of the snake trick worked. pulls through with the correct resistance. now a quicky clean between sessions or before the trip home will be a snap. couple more weeks and we'll be ready to sight it and run it in. plus my short mags, sling and riser 'll be here by then too. cant wait to go bush kickin with my new M&P. yippee!
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

stovepipe wrote:
was gonna swab the bore and get it ready to break in....ejector blade is in the way of the rod.

It is tight, but I have no problem running my cleaning rod from the breech side. It only catches the edge of the rim and doesn't intefere with the bore. If yours truely blocks the bore, this sounds like a configuration change on later models.

stovepipe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

on mine itll skew it enough that id rather go in thru the muzzle with an empty rod then attch a pistol brush/jag and pull through. that with a snake should get me cleaned up. takes a while....i double checked the bolt and stuff and everything is true and ok so. i think ya may be correct on the newer ones having a diff ejector blade. my bud has an older one and im going to compare them when i get a chance.

i just wanna go out and get it dirty...*snivel*
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

stovey there is something really cool about a rattler...
my old single barrel baikal has a loose forestock that rattles so Ive tapped it up/put a wire tie on it. the end is sawn off and ported with a power drill but look out anything under 50 yards is in a powerfull lot of trouble if Im shooting it.I call it a workhorse not a plurry show pony.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
my old single barrel baikal has a loose forestock that rattles so Ive tapped it up/put a wire tie on it. the end is sawn off and ported with a power drill...

I gotta see a pic of that monster Elvis...git the Box Brownie out mate.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

he makes a great point. lots of long noses out there buying into the fancy firearm club miss the point and sometimes need a reminder that others shoot was well or better with trunk-guns and service weapons, much to their chagrin... Razz theres nothing wrong with premium shooters but....some think its an excuse for beign less than neighborly. and i wanna see a pic of that beast!
Arizona Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Reply with quote

No doubt about it, over/unders are the sexiest shotguns around. Have fun with it.

My next gun, if I can afford it will likely be a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag or an S & W .460.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

i was very impressed with the 460 i shot. i think it was a 4". recoil was minimal due to s&w design and excellent engineering. the blast was off the charts though, wow. talk about a pressure wave. it was fun to shoot double-action.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

got my riser on last night. with mbus's flipped up they are centered in the dot tube. slings on too. 2 ten rd mags from sw was 47$ instead of 49, woot! also got an leo deal on some more mccormick black mags. cant wait to have some fun doing two-gun drills in the sim-house. weeee!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 20 of 44