Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824051
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

A good rifle for daughter?
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlo7mm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

So I am pretty sure I have made up my mind on this but I thought I would like to hear everyones suggestions. So I am going to be mentoring my daughter this next year during Spring Turkey and during deer season. I am going to her a rifle that would be a good beginner rifle. I have some ideas of what I may purchase but I am looking at entry level, light weight and inexpensive. I am thinking I am going to go with a .243, she is only 9 and I have a gun that would work okay but thought I would like something that would do the job well and not knock her around. I am also going to get her a 20 gauge for turkey hunting. Anyway any thoughts you may have would be helpful.

PS I am absolutly not getting a Remington model 770.
Aloysius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

In my opinion the 7x57 is much better for a starter than a .243 Win. The 7 mm Mauser doesn't kick harder and it's always better to have enough gun for a start. Kicking is not only a matter of energy, it's also the shape of the stock and the angle of the cartridge shoulder.

Same thing for shot: what's nocking harder, 1 Oz in a cal 20 or 1 Oz in cal 12? Why not take a cal 12 and load your amno yourself using black powder or Pyrodex?
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

I got my kids a 20 gauge NEF single-shot when they were about that age. Even the reduced 20-gauge loads knocked both of them on their butts. the problem was when I got a gun light enough for them to handle, the kick was too much. I ended up getting them a .410 and they loved it. The pellets have the same energy (and killing power) as the bigger gauges, there are just fewer of them. Aloys' idea has merit also if you reload ... and ... a 12-guage in NEF is lighter and easier to handle than the .410 (I just remembered I shortened the .410 NEF barrel to make it easier for them to handle).

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Oh! I used a .243 with my kids to use. It worked out, ok. Many of the manufactures have a shorten stock and barrel for their youth models. One of the things I had to do was use a light scope on top. I originally had a Simmons 44 Mag 4-12x but it made the gun too top heavy making the gun harder for them to handle. When I switch back to an old Tasco 3-9x with a smaller than normal objective, it made an improvement that even I noticed.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Model 7 Remington in .243 Win with a straight 4X scope !!!

More than enough energy to take whitetails..........caliber is meaningless with a bad shot, teach the girl where to place the bullet and all will be good !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
tlo7mm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Well here is the deal, I cannot set her up with a .410 as we are not legal to hunt Turkey with them here although I wish we were because I love em and it would be better for the kids. I figure I can put a h3ll of a sissy pad on the gun. I am thinking of a Rossi Trifecta (.243/20/.22 single shots) in a youth model or a New England arms Handirifle compact in .243. I was also thinking maybe a 7mm-08 but was concerned that it would be to much for a fire time rifle. I will tell you though this is the girl that when she was 8 said she wanted to shoot a "little gun" that I was shooting. This "little gun" I was shooting was a Glock 40 acp. I told her I would let her but I was going to help. The guy that the gun belonged to decided he would help her with it. She wanted to pull the gun close to her to try and pull the trigger, We kept telling her that she needed to keep her arms extended out when she fired it (to be honest I was going to help her hold it but the guy that was helping her decide to let her do it on her own). As she got ready to fire she pulled the gun in slightly and the recoil caused the slide to hit her in the forehead. She immidiatly dropped the gun in shock. She was totally stunned but was not crying. Infact she seemed to take it pretty well until she realized blood was running down her face. Again she did not cry but she did kind of wimper and had a really scared look on her face. I got the blood cleaned up and had her put some pressure on the wound. After about 20 minute of looking at a book and sitting in my van she was back out there shooting again, this time it was a Ruger 22 charger. She decided that she didn't want to stop shooting and I had to drag her away from out shooting range. Honestly it scared the h3ll out of me as I thought I was going to have to take her to the ER to get stitches but she pulled through just fine and has an interesting story and a trophy scar to prove it lol.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Take a look at this >> www.huntingnut.com/ind...cle&sid=59

I'd also look at the T/C Contender or Encore. One frame with several barrels could cover everything.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

.308 and load it down to 7.62x39 type loads no kick no fuss and load it back up later. great selegtion of rifles to choose from and easy to resell. why not a bushmaster 7.62x39.
can you get baikals??? my 10yr old has a .410 single I have a 12ga single and bro in law a 7.62x39mm. the plan is my boy can move up caliber when the time is right. I cut back the stock and built up the pistol grip the wee gun works great now. the price is better than other options and carrying it uncocked it is very safe but quick n easy to get into action.

tlo7mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

I appriciate the suggestions, I was actually looking more for make info rather then caliber as I have pretty much decided to go with a .243. I had thought possibly setting her up with a Rossi Trifecta or an New England Arms Handi rifle compact, however I would rather have something that is a repeater. I did look at Weatherby's Vangaurd youth model as it has an adjustable stock. I am also looking at possibly getting a Savage axis youth however its really longer than what I want to get her.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
cherry8080
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

you are a good Dad.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .243 Win tlo7mm, and its not a bad rifle. Plenty accurate...more accurate than me...and it has enough weight to help absorb a bit of the .243 recoil.

A question I must ask...is you daughter a total newbie to shooting, or does she have the rudiments down pat already?

If she is a total newbie, then I would very strongly advocate something simple like a .22 rimfire (both of you will get a heap of fun from it later) in order that she can learn the basics of shooting...the IMPORTANT basics...like firearm SAFETY, how to aim, how to fire a shot (not as easy as simply squeezing the trigger), the target zone on various animals...and there are any number of other lessons that you can incorporate to give her a well rounded knowledge of our sport. Rimfire ammo is also very cheap...more bang for your buck, and every shot she fires will improve her shooting capabilities. It is so easy to fire 100 rounds of rimfire, and it won't break the bank.

Additionally, and also importantly, a .22 rimfire has no recoil. The last thing you want to do is give her a firearm that is loud and recoils a bit...there is a pretty good chance she will develop a flinch that will take a long time to loose.

If she is already a shooter, then I think you could do a lot worse than consider the Weatherby Vanguard. Reasonably cheap, accurate and robust. Having said that mate...I think the vast majority of rifles are well made and will fill the bill.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Aloysius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

You have to do what you think you should do, but Elvis gave a very good suggestion and I can also recommend the Baikals. Take a single shot in 308 Win (alltough they also have it in .243 Win) or, when you want a very fast repeater, go for a double barrel in 45-70, then you even have your second shot without repeating. Both can be loaded reduced till they don't kick anymore + think about your heritage. You Americans already have so little history, so why not caress such a pure american round as the 45 Government? And in my opinion the 30/30 Win would also come into the competition alltough it's not so versatile as the 308 or the 45-70.
And while you're looking at the Baikals, maybe you can also have a look at their mixed (alltough I myself prefer Brno for this). Maybe that rifle is a little too heavy, but weight helps to save the shoulder.

But as Vince suggested: an airrifle and/or a .22 are the best starters.
gelandangan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Both my girls (they are now 16 and 13 yrs old) got a 22lr as soon as they are capable of lifting it to aim (I think it was about 9 years old).
They are to lift and aim them (empty chamber) for a year before they shoot with it.
That brought a lot of anticipation and enthusiasm from both of them to go hunting and try their rifles.

Their first shots are out of an old Lithgow Slazenger 22LR single shot.

Now the older one graduated to a 223 Ruger 77MKIICR and the younger one is on H&R 45LC single shot.

I am blessed to have happy doughters that love to go hunting with me.. until they found boys that is (soon) ..
Oh well.. I enjoy their company while it last.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Make sure you take the boyfriends out hunting with you too Gelan...trust me, there is a method to my "madness".

Taking the boyfriends out will do two things mate...first, you will introduce young city guys to the bush and hunting, hopefully swelling the ranks of future hunters...secondly, and probably most importantly, the young guys will get the message that Dad has standards that they are expected to comply with in regards to his daughters. It worked for me when I took my daughter's boyfriend to the pistol range. His intentions became quite apparent when he stopped visiting.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
gelandangan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A good rifle for daughter? Reply with quote

Vince, I would have posted this in the "joke" section if it is not true.

I actually do the "Gun Cleaning" technique on the boys visit..
Instead of being intimidated, the boy actually got really interested (to my guns that is)..
Took the boy to the range and he is working on his parents to join the club..

-------------

Viz:

Boy visit the house, and starts his moves at Gelan's daughter..

Gelan watching with his beady eyes and say " Humph!!"
Got up, get the guns and cleaning kit, and place them on a visible table.

Boy give a quick peek and, " WOWisthatarealgun?", as he got up and walked away from bewildered daughter of Gelan's.
"letmesee letmesee... WOW, itsitheavy? canitouchem? WOW, wotchadoing? canihelpya?"..

Gelan "......"

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 4