HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: Pavel
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 12456

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 52
BOT: 4
Total: 56
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Forums
03: Forums
04: Forums
05: Forums
06: Home
07: Home
08: Home
09: Forums
10: Photo Albums
11: Forums
12: PointBlank Ballistics
13: Home
14: Forums
15: Photo Albums
16: Forums
17: Home
18: Forums
19: Forums
20: Forums
21: Home
22: Forums
23: Forums
24: Forums
25: Forums
26: Forums
27: Forums
28: Forums
29: Forums
30: Forums
31: Forums
32: Home
33: Home
34: Forums
35: Forums
36: Home
37: Forums
38: Forums
39: Forums
40: Forums
41: Forums
42: Forums
43: Forums
44: Forums
45: Home
46: Your Account
47: Forums
48: Forums
49: Home
50: Forums
51: Home
52: Forums
  BOT:
01: Forums
02: Your Account
03: Photo Albums
04: Home

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 302
 Pictures: 2369
  · Views: 294692
  · Votes: 1299
  · Comments: 86
 

Support our Advertisers

The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread.
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
tcknight
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Oct 09, 2009
Posts: 327
Location: Arkansas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Reply with quote

Marlin Model 39A

I have my dad's which was given to him by my mom in 1939. It still shoots like a target rifle. My eyes have gotten to where I can't shoot open sights very effectively any more and DO NOT want to drill and tap the oldster.

So, I will have to shell out the $$ and get a new one.

I hate when that happens. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 6971
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

are you allowed to use the magic lazer beems where you hunt???
they are half the price of a reasonable scope and may do the trick for you especially in poor light.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7084
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Reply with quote

tcknight wrote:
I can't shoot open sights very effectively any more and DO NOT want to drill and tap the oldster.

tc, I knocked out my rear sight and inserted a dovetail piece with a threaded hole. I mounted a weaver rail and scout scope. It has worked out well.



marlin_39a_velocity_vs_barrel_length_set-up.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.26 KB
 Viewed:  3545 Time(s)

marlin_39a_velocity_vs_barrel_length_set-up.jpg


_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
tcknight
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Oct 09, 2009
Posts: 327
Location: Arkansas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Reply with quote

So, the one screw is enough to hold it in place and on target? What a great idea!

Cool photo btw slim. So what ammo does yours like best? I have heard the new ones like the hotter loads now days. My old gun hates them. Shoots em all over the place. Does pretty well with CCI High Velocity HP though so thats what I use.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7084
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Reply with quote

tcknight wrote:
So, the one screw is enough to hold it in place and on target?

It is much better and more secure than the stock rail mount that goes on top of the receiver. The stock rail is only held on by 2 screws that are not very far apart and that is all that keeps rail in alignment. My stock rail would not provide a reliable mount. This has worked out well and the curve in the bottom of the rail mates with the curve of the barrel. I'm going to use bedding adhesive (with release on the barrel side) to make the fit perfect when I get the barrel recrowned and finished. This has held up very well and I have used the same set-up on my .45-70 Rolling Block with low power loads (one 8-32 screw holding down the rail that is shaped to mate with the barrel). Maybe I should do an article on how to do this.

My Marlin 39A did ok with any ammo but not spectacular with any specific ammo. CCI Blaser was probably the best. That works well in all my .22s. Now that I'm shortening it from 24" to 19.25", I'll have to try to see what the new configuration likes.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7084
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

Oh, I bought my 39A in 1997 so its 13 years old. For as long as Marlin has been making this model, that should make it a new one.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 13066
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

TC...I have a single shot that is most likely a Browning made in Belgium(blow back eject) that I tried every conceivable brand and type of ammo in before I found what it liked best. Groups were all over the place and massive.

There was also a little bit of damage starting to show on the bolt because of the power of the "blow back"...it was slamming into the bolt stop way too hard. I came to the conclusion that the bolt is not supposed to slam open and stay locked back on firing. The inertia also cause the treads on the bolt knob to fail and the bolt knob actually flew off under "recoil". Took some work to repair that I tell ya.

I have found that most of the older rimfire rifles thrive on a diet of standard velocity Long Rifle loads, and in the case of my rifle, it shoots as close to a one hole five shot group as you will ever see at 25m using Remington Sub-Sonics. Also, on "blow back" now, the bolt doesn't slam back but still ejects the case nicely.
The bolt knob stays in place on the back of the bolt now and not sitting between me lookin' gear! wtf Mad

Do your Dad's heirloom a favour and drop down to sub-sonics. The accuracy will improve, the wear and tear will diminish and it will do the same job over a similar distance on rabbit sized game as the high velocity rounds. Doing this will ensure that you can hand down the rifle to your young fella, and he to his, with it in great condition.

Cheers, Vince



browning .22 single shot 25m_medium.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.41 KB
 Viewed:  3506 Time(s)

browning .22 single shot 25m_medium.jpg


_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7084
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

great target, Vince! If I had one like that it would be hanging in the workshop!

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 13066
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
great target, Vince! If I had one like that it would be hanging in the workshop!

Thanks Slim. The target actually hangs on the side of my gun cabinet where I keep my current "zeroing" targets so I have something to refer back to if needed.

Cheers, Vince

_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
tcknight
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Oct 09, 2009
Posts: 327
Location: Arkansas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Reply with quote

Good advice Vince.

My dad shot regular .22 longs in it. I don't think you can buy those anymore. When I was talking about high velocity, that is what we used to call the hot loads in the 60's. They sold .22 as short, long, Long Rifle High Power, and Long Rifle High Velocity. The High Velocity were in the 1200 fps class. I'm using my 1969 nomenclature in a 2011 world. Embarassed

The new high velocity rounds, and the ones my rifle can't handle is the Blazers, Stingers and Wildcats at 1600 fps. Point being that internet talk is reporting that the NEW Model 39A's like this faster ammo.

Mine likes the slower. It throws the fast stuff in groups larger than a dinner plate. So, I agree with ya 100%.

That is some target. I disagree with you Slim. If I had a target like that, it would immediately be on the Internet. Hence.... Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
tcknight
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Oct 09, 2009
Posts: 327
Location: Arkansas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
tc, I knocked out my rear sight and inserted a dovetail piece with a threaded hole. I mounted a weaver rail and scout scope. It has worked out well.

Slim, give me some idea where and what to buy.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 7084
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

tc, I used a Weaver 92A top mount base and machined it to accept a threaded dovetails from Express Sights that has their office here in FW. You can see the threaded dove tail in this parts view.

www.cabelas.com/produc...cout+mount

I still had to do some handwork on the bottom of the top mount with a file to get the clearance for the threaded dovetail. I have an extra. PM with your address and you can give it a try. The scope sits a tad high for me and I may look for an alternative. It should at least get you started for now.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 13066
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' threa Reply with quote

tcknight wrote:
slimjim wrote:
tc, I knocked out my rear sight and inserted a dovetail piece with a threaded hole. I mounted a weaver rail and scout scope. It has worked out well.

Slim, give me some idea where and what to buy.

I had a scout around one of my local gun shops and found a sight mount that you can screw to the top of your round receiver. I see no reason at all why you could not use a mount like this using the method that Slim suggested...in fact I reckon it would be damn near perfect.

The mount is a piece of steel shaped with a concave curved bottom and a 3/8" dovetail on the top. You cut it to the size you want and fix it to your rifle in the manner you want. I wouldn't be overly difficult to make a dovetail piece that would fit the curve nicely mate.

Also, have a look at Warne Mounts...might be able to use something from them. Better again, check out XS Sight Systems. I have their mount on my Mod 94 Winchester for the red dot sight.

XS Sight Systems

Cheers, Vince

(What looks like rust ain't, so don't pay out on me guys...its oil that has thickened and dried around the sight base. Its surprising, and scary, how the flash brings out all the little bits of fluff and lint. Looking at the rifle, it looks spotless. Embarassed )



img_9177_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.66 KB
 Viewed:  3473 Time(s)

img_9177_small.jpg


img_9187_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.42 KB
 Viewed:  3473 Time(s)

img_9187_small.jpg


_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 6971
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

great photos and a great target Vince.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 13066
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: The official never ending 'what's my next new gun' thread. Reply with quote

Thanks Elvis.

I'm hoping the pics show enough to TC of the sight mount I found over here so that he can either find something similar or get something made. I believe that they are custom made by a retired guy on a milling machine. It only cost me about $12 too, which I thought was excellent given that it is hand made.

Cheers, Vince

_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 18 of 44
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42, 43, 44  Next



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Advertisements
 


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by Dizfunkshunal :.