Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Misfire and deactivating primers
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

And you're right Chet except that J0422 made a comment on using WD-40 on firearms and warned about the damage that it would do to the stock and I just chimmed in to warn all that WD-40 was a bad product when used for jobs that it was not intended for...Didn't realize that it would get a life of it's own....

I will sure try to have a good day...You wouldn't happen to know of any good Fariers would you???

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
coyotehunter_1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

Bushmaster... You done good! Laughing

Cheers

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

Hold that thought...My wife still plans to move me to the Ozaks...In a couple of years...Only have 2yrs 9mo to 65 and 10...

roklok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

I dont know if I totally agree on the anti-WD40 feeling. It is a poor rust preventative and is hard on stocks.I never wipe my guns down with it using a good gun oil or paste wax to do rust prevention dutys. However I have been using it for 15 years on my muzzleloader locks with no ill effects.I wash my locks in hot soapy water with a toothbrush, pat dry and then liberally spray entire lock with WD-40 which displaces remaining water (thats what the WD stands for). I then thoroughly wipe dry lock and apply thin film of bore butter.Its worked great for me for a long time. I have never observed any varnish or buildup of residue like I have with some thicker oils.Just my opinion.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

Roklok...Yup...That is correct...That's what I said above. If you use WD-40 make sure that you wipe it dry and apply a good gun oil...Yup...I did say that...Do not leave it on your guns all by itself...It was not designed to be a preservitive. Just a penetrent...

Now I must get off this tyrade as Our Great Moderator believes we are off subject.

Ooh... Good evening Coyotehunter_1

roklok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

I just tried to fire the aforementioned misfired round again,twice,and got only clicks.The primer was indented very deeply.I then pulled the bullet,dumped powder, deprimed and smashed the primer with a hammer. It exploded loud enough to make my ears ring. So the bottom line is I am still not certain what went wrong.Faulty primer? Debris between firing pin and primer? Or an excited hunter who did not close bolt completely causing a weak strike which upset primer components so subsequent trys did not ignite primer. I was hoping to figure out just what went wrong but I guess I'll never know.
Boone
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

Hi,
A couple of years back I had similiar problems with primers, wouldn't ignite. I first thought it was a firing pin problem, but later had same problem with different caliber and rifle and the only thing in common was the primers. I just chalked it up to a bad batch of primers and didn't use any more of them. Has anyone else had this problem and what could I have done wrong?
Please email me if you have any ideas. My email address is: danboone132 @ yahoo.com

Have a good day,

d. boone

sniper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

This is good information! Thanks, guys.

Gunwriters for years stated as fact that to deactivate primers, squirt them with some sort of oil, and deprime. If I remember right, WD 40 was the substance of choice, and it would even deactivate a primer if sprayed on the outside of the case. It reportedly worked fine back then.

Apparently, the "old wisdom" is no longer correct. I "deactivated" a round about a month ago, then deprimed it, using that method. Now I know better. Apparently, primers aren't as "fragile" as they used to be, or something, and that is good.

What was the temperature when your rifle/ammo malfunctioned? It sounds like you had either a super tough primer cup or a light firing pin strike, most likely the lattter. Could the bolt lubricant have thickened from the cold, causing a light strike, or could some dirt have worked its way into mechanism after the first shot, keeping the firing pin from striking with full force, then being knocked away for the third shot? Field stripping the bolt, or spraying it with cleaner, then lightly lubricating couldn't hurt.

Roklok: "Short stroking" a bolt action will create all sorts of interesting problems, but not a light firing pin strike. The rifle is either cocked, or not. If you were using factory ammo, or primers from the same lot in your cartridges, and the others work satisfactorily, chances are, it is a rifle problem.
mpf270
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

A few years ago I had trouble with CCI primers. I’d been using them for 20 some years when every primer type for every caliber for every gun had misfires. About 1 or 2 out of 20. I talked to CCI and they said to send them a bad one. I never did that, but have used Winchesters ever since without one failure.

WD 40 “is” made for use on guns. If you look at WD40’s web sight you will see numerous uses on guns. It has a solvent for penetration and cleaning along with a lubricant. The WD stands for Water Displacement, and 40 is the number of tries it took to get the formula correct. So I don’t see how it can trap water. In fact, it used to be popular with professional mechanics for getting water out of distributor caps and ignition wires.

Having, said that I don’t use it for guns. I did years ago but found after long storage times it got tacky. I’m sure this isn't good for the actions and triggers.
1895ss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

Welcome aboard mpf270, stick around. Smile I think we'll hear more about the WD40 now though, right after Bushy gets home from work. Shocked Very Happy

Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

Someone delete that! Shocked 1895 good work in spoting it! Cheers

Bushmaster is gonna have a feild day once he gets online Very Happy

Someone delete all mention of WD-40, Very Happy Doesnt Bushmaster have a thread just about WD-40 and its effect on guns ?? Confused

Dimitri

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

Mpf270..I am a Master mechanic that took his apprenticship in 1959 through 1962 in a Euorpean Auto shop in Coos Bay, Oregon when all we had were point ignition...And I will promise you we DID NOT use WD-40 to clean out or dewater distributer caps or ignition systems. WD-40 will wipe out (burn) points in a heart beat to a crispy blue color...I really don't care what they say on the can. It is the Finest penitration oil on the market except for Liquid Wrench and Marvel Mysery Oil. The last place I would use it is on a gun except if I had a rusty screw to remove. I now work as a manager of an overhaul and repair shop for the US Navy and am a Marine and Industrial Diesel master machenic.

Yes Dimitri...There is a string that deals specificaly with WD-40 and you are toooo late in getting this deleted. Very Happy Very Happy

By The Way mpf270 Welcome to the site. You and your ideas are most welcome here. Sit a spell, pour a beer and and join in... Very Happy

1895ss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Misfire and deactivating primers Reply with quote

How was work today Bushy? Did you use any WD40 today..........??????????? :rofl2 Hiding

I still maintain that the best way to deactivate primers is to remove them and with eye protection etc. wack them with a hammer. Done. That said, one should never have many to dispose of anyway. Shocked

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 2