· Views: 824080
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

The mini-me of ARs
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chambered221

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

TC, When it comes to AR's the sky is the limit !!!

At one time the 5.56 was about the only player in town. Now you can get a variety of short action calibers, pistol cartridges, and .22 rimfires.
You can choose from M4's (close quarter battle weapon), a standard issue style, High Power competition models, Varmint rigs, or full custom deals that you can easily spend 3 grand. A basic set up without the frills can be had for just under a grand.

IMO Rock River Arms is the way to go if you just want to buy a top quality complete rifle.
www.rockriverarms.com/

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
tcknight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

Thanks SlimJim. Gives me something to read.
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

wtf I gives ya sumtin to looky at !!! I sees how a I rate !!! Sad

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

Botachdefense.com sale on Smith-Wesson-M-P15-22

Here is a great sale on the 22LR for those that would be interested (includes shipping).
tcknight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
:wtf: I gives ya sumtin to looky at !!! I sees how a I rate !!! Sad

Sorry bout that Chambered. I had already signed off. Crying or Very sad

BUT, this is just what I wanted to see. Very Happy I've seen a Rock River Arms on one of the hunting shows and was intrigued. I think I'll go take a look. What chambering do you recommend? I don't suppose they are chambering for any of the truly great rounds like .243 and the Fireballs?

One thing I wonder though. The scope is pretty high off the line of fire and the stock does not have a cheekpiece, so, do you find it difficult to quickly obtain sight picture? That's my main concern.

Thank ya for the recommend-a-tation. Very Happy
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

tcknight wrote:
The scope is pretty high off the line of fire and the stock does not have a cheekpiece, so, do you find it difficult to quickly obtain sight picture? That's my main concern.

Optimum scope height comes with rings/mounts that place the scope centerline 1.5 inches above the flat-top. Many of the AR-specific scopes like ACOG have this height built into the optics/mounting system. Here are some example of AR Scope Rings. Many scopes don't fit on the flat-top and need a base that extends beyond the flat-top base. The Burris PEPR scope mount is a good example and is shown later in the link above.

I have no difficulty getting quick sight picture. Many of the collapsable stocks have extra width to make a more comfortable check weld. I don't have a problem with the mil-std butt stock.
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

I'm installing a Simmons 4-12x 44 on my AR-22 this weekend. I'll post some pictures.
chambered221

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

TC, I don't think RRA offers anything other than the standard AR chamberings.

Here's a Remington offering;
www.remington.com/prod...-r-25.aspx

Custom uppers are also available in other short action cartridges as well. The .204 Ruger is a popular choice among varmint hunters.
I'm not aware of any fireball models, keep in mind your working with a semi and you need a cartridge that will feed correctly for the size of the action.

My suggestion on caliber is get one of each !!! Very Happy

As far as scopes goes....stick with a flat top or removable carry handle and you'll have no trouble.

~George Washington
tcknight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

Hey, I LIKE the one of each claliber idea! Very Happy
aznative

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

In the AR, the 6.8 SPC is now a fairly common chambering. You can also get a 6mm WOA which is just a necked down 6.8 case. I'm fairly sure White Oak Armament makes both, and he does great work.

There is also the 6mm turbo which is the 6.5 grendel necked down to 6mm and then you have to fireform the brass.

This is by no way a complete listing of possible calibers. If you go too weird you may end up with feeding problems with the magazine lips not being formed right.

slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

Back to AR22s, here is the rifle with a Simmons 4-12x. My check rests on the butt stock and not on the buffer tube. The eye relief on this Simmons is not quite 3 inches. It was ok on my .243 but is insufficient for my .308 or .270 so just started using it on 22LRs when I sold the .243. This scope has the advantage of adjustable parallax for my sight-in ranges of 35 to 50 yards. Since most targets/game are small, the 4 power lower magnification works ok. I also use the red-dot sight to practice carbine action shooting.

slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

I had my first two malfunctions with the AR22. It was a cold day with temps a tick above freezing. One jam was with Ely Match ammo. It has been shooting 3/4-inch groups for me at 50 yards but on this day, the bullets were stringing vertically, stretching the group size to 1.8" vertically. I think the cold was affecting the powder's performance and one of the rounds just didn't have enough juice to blow back the bolt.

Jam number two was not related to the round but the how the magazine loads. I've seen occasionally where the top bullet when inserted will get its rim behind the bullet below it. A typical sign of this is the bullet will not ride nose high in the magazine. I usually correct the loaded bullet to get the rim in front of the bullet below it and ensure the nose of the bullet rides high. This time I let it go just to see what would happen - jam it did. Below is what to look for.

I'm really getting some great training with this rifle without the expense of shooting expensive ammo.

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

Sort of in keeping with the intent of this thread...

Yesterday I picked up the SIG 522, which is their .22 LR version of their 5.56 military style rifle. I had a Millett red dot on hand and they matched up well. I shot it some today, mostly on plates, and had a blast!! I'll try shooting some groups next time I get to the range.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger, that is one beautiful gun. Do you have a matching SIG in 5.56?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: The mini-me of ARs Reply with quote

Slim, I'm afraid the SIG 556 will have to wait awhile. It was about 3.5x as expensive as the .22 LR. It has replaced the AR on my wish list though.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 3