· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Scopes with BDC Reticles for Centerfire Rifles
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Scopes with BDC Reticles for Centerfire Rifles Reply with quote

Here are some of the results with my .270 and my Mil-Dot reticle. The two shots at 550 yards are closer than they first appear. My spotter called my first shot just off the top so I moved my aim point 8 inches lower (1/2 a pizza box). If I hadn't done that, the shots would have been within 2 inches of each other (BTW its 51 gr of IMR 4350 not 59). This is why I said I don't feel disadvantaged because I'm using the Mil-Dot reticle to offset for bullet drop at longer ranges.

I still need more practice as the winds were pretty light that day (3 mph). As I gain confidence, I will start working at longer ranges (if I can find a place to shoot that far). Plus I need that range finder for Christmas.

Oh, this was the first time I had shot at pizza boxes. My friend brought them and they worked well for setting up targets out on his land in the clearings available.

Last edited by slimjim on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
woods

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Scopes with BDC Reticles for Centerfire Rifles Reply with quote

Hey slimjim, good shooting. A lot of shooters don't get to shoot much at the longer distances and don't realize that just because you can shoot 1/2" at 100 yards doesn't mean you can shoot 3" at 600 yards.

Here's a tip for long range shooting to help you see where your shots are hitting. I make my own targets out of 30x40 poster board I get at Office Max, clear plastic carpet mask and black paint. You can see the bullet holes through your scope out to 600 yards most of the time. It is like a home made Shoot-N-C

The clear carpet mask is sticky on one side and sticks to the poster board and the cheap black paint (don't use good paint, it sticks too much and won't flake off) flakes off and shows the white underneath. The targets are durable and you just take the can of spray paint out to the target and paint the bullet holes and it is good as new

It really helps when you can see what you are doing.

JASmith
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Scopes with BDC Reticles for Centerfire Rifles Reply with quote

Check out shootersnotes.com/ for some illustrations of Mil-Dot reticles and the size of the target. The illustrations can be used as a visual reference for where to place the dots -- most of us don't like to reset the zero. Can get a direct correlation between apparent size of target and where the reticle has to be placed.
Handloader

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Scopes with BDC Reticles for Centerfire Rifles Reply with quote

SlimJim: I appaud your actual field testing. I believe practice and familiarity with the firearm, load and scope are critical aspects to achieving accurate results. Thanks for the photos and information.

The challenge for the long distance shooter is controlling the variables. Things such as wind, elevation, temperature, humidity and heart rate change the point of impact. Enough to miss an 8" killing zone at 400, 500, 600 yards. And, that is shooting from a solid bench with front and rear rests. This can be achieved with lots of rounds, a great rifle and the ability to use it, but, is beyond the ability of casual shooters, even with the best of equipment.

TV shows that feature long distance hunting imply that it is something relatively easy to do. They show magnificent kills at extended ranges, but, they don't show the missed shots or the wounded shots. More critically, they imply a technological shortcut to acquisition of skill. And, finally, there is the question of ethics. Right?
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Scopes with BDC Reticles for Centerfire Rifles Reply with quote

Handloader wrote:
, finally, there is the question of ethics. Right?

Handloader, that is an excellent question. Any harvesting of game should be done in a safe and human manner. This article on BDC reticles was intended to only address the performance charactoristics of the different manufacturers' BDC reticles and was ment as a side bar to the article above it which addresses using a scope with a duplex reticle to shoot accurately at longer ranges.

Bullet Drop Compensation with Duplex Reticles

In that article, I address the aspects I considered for shooting at longer ranges and the steps I took to prepare myself and my rifles. These steps are applicable to any shooter who is thinking of extending their range, regardless of scope type. At the end of the article, I specifically address taking the long range shot, the difficulties involved, how its the first bullet down range that counts, and there is no substitute for practice (even with the best technology). In the article I talk about the responsibilities of a human kill but I didn't use the word Ethics. I probably should have.

Since I have started practicing to learn how to shoot at longer ranges and learn where my personal (ethical) limits are, I've changed out my rifles and only the Tikka remains because of its consistent performance, both in small group sizes and consistent points of impact regardless of the day I shoot it. The other two rifles were not able to do that so they are gone.

As the range increase, the the margin for error decreases. I'm still learning just how far that is for me and my rifle.

Last edited by slimjim on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Scopes with BDC Reticles for Centerfire Rifles Reply with quote

Keep up the great work Slim. Searching the limits of yourself and your rifles is a great part of our sport...and it doesn't have to be at long range.

I have found that my .243 shoots well beyond my limits...and for a humane kill I must be ethical and stay within my limits.

Good luck with your research mate...its fascinating to follow...and you have given me a couple of ideas that may allow me to extend my limits a little.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Scopes with BDC Reticles for Centerfire Rifles Reply with quote

For those with Mil-Dot reticles, I just posted a seperate topic with a suggestion on how a Mil-Dot scope can be used for BDC with as much effectiveness as these specifically design BDC reticles.

Bullet Drop Compensation w/ Mil-Dot Reticles: an Alternative
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Scopes with BDC Reticles for Centerfire Rifles Reply with quote

Nikon just added the capability to tune their BDC reticle for your load. It does the same as the .xls file I posted but is slicker and has a good graphical interface. You have to sign-up to use their web application.

Check it out!

www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
eaglesnester
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Scopes with BDC Reticles for Centerfire Rifles Reply with quote

I have a Leupold 6.5X20 Tactical with TMR cross hairs. Have shot at 400 meters using the built in hold points and I found them to be accurate with 300WSM 175gr Burgers. 400 meters is a long long ways out there. The target I was using was a steel plate 1/4" by 7.5X11". At 400 meters you could hardly see the target with the naked eye. I do believe that is about as far as I want to shoot anything. I think 500 meters is insane and 600 meters is only for the well trained professional shooter. Thats just my opinion your milage may vary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 2