Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hunting Knifes
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

What type of hunting knife do you use. Im thinking of getting a 2 or 3 blade folding knife for hunting. Right now I carry two fixed blades a Colt Gut Hook and a Schrade sharp finger. Im setting up a new hunting vest and want cut back on some weight / space so a multi blade knife would fit the bill but one of the blades has gotta be a gut hook I love um Very Happy . Was curious what you all use.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

For carrying with me while walking,
I use an old Muella (el cheapo spanish knife) I have been using for the last 14 years.
It has a very short blade 100mm (4 inch) with a "never been used" gut hook Very Happy

In the camp I have a slightly longer knife (another el cheapo) that I use to quarter and butcher.

I generally do not like a folding knife, due to the fact that I do not trust the joint and worried about the "blade lock".
However, I do carry a SOG Paratool with me everywhere.. and I mean everywhere.. including to weddings and business functions Very Happy
Never leave home without it for years.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

My 3" CRKT Drifter has been up a few birds butt's and normally carry that for the small stuff. Got it as a gift last year from the neighbor! It's the perfect size for field guttin' small birds, almost too big actually. Roosters get the paramedic shears left over from SAR days I keep in the truck.

I need some edumacating on the big game technique's and tools I'm sorry to say. Embarassed Them's some cool lookin' cultery for the big critters to be sure!
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

After a little experimentation I use a Buck "Zipper" on deer. Mine has the gut hook and rubber handle. I was impressed with how much better it worked than the Shrade I had been using.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
wiersy111

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

I carry a Buck 119 and a Gerber Mutli pliers for field work. I have tried smaller knifes and lock blades but always found things I couldn't do easily. With the Big Buck knife I can split the brisket all the way to the chin with no effort. I like a good heavy knife for the field. I am bias though as I worked as a skinner in a packing house for 6 or 7 years.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
Pitt55

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

I seached alot of years for a do all knife and I'm as close as I've ever been. I use a Gerber Gator Grip with a guthook for gutting and skinning. I also use a Gerber folding saw to take care of the pelvis and legs. Then back to the knife for buthering. Did a whole deer from field to freezer and never touched the blade to a stone. I am impressed with Gerber.
Don

Suzanne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

I have a Kershaw blade trader. It has one handle and 3 blades sorry no gut hook but I've never used a gut hook anyway. It weighs 6 3/4 oz and fits nicely in my back pocket. There's a skinning blade a fillet blade and a crosscut saw. I actually have two sets because someone gave me one and so I can take both along and don't have to change handles and blades, just get em set up for what I need to do and go at it.

Suz

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

Well Joe, many years ago, on your advice mate, I went for a Buck Omni Hunter (12 pt)...never looked back. Takes a magnificent edge and is a great skinner.

Apart from that, I have a CRKT Mo 'Skeeter, a Leatherman Super Tool 200 that, like Gelan, goes everywhere with me...also a very old Spanish steel fixed blade that I restored and a couple of folders, of different sizes, that I choose from depending on the job at hand.

One thing I have no shortage of is knives. In fact I have almost finished making another one that I will show at a later date.

Cheers, Vince

img_8202_vga.jpg
 Description:
Buck Omni Hunter 12 pt and a Spanish carbon steel bladed knife I restored.

These are my "go too" knives
 Filesize:  78.21 KB
 Viewed:  12522 Time(s)

img_8202_vga.jpg

img_8203_vga.jpg
 Description:
three bladed stainless folder and CRKT folding Mo 'Skeeter
 Filesize:  81.42 KB

img_8203_vga.jpg

img_8204_vga.jpg
 Description:
Two cheap folders 3" and 4"
(John-Benzen Chicago)
 Filesize:  80.27 KB

img_8204_vga.jpg

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

Suzanne wrote:
I have a Kershaw blade trader. It has one handle and 3 blades sorry no gut hook but I've never used a gut hook anyway. It weighs 6 3/4 oz and fits nicely in my back pocket. There's a skinning blade a fillet blade and a crosscut saw. I actually have two sets because someone gave me one and so I can take both along and don't have to change handles and blades, just get em set up for what I need to do and go at it.

Suz

I have seen those advertised with a gut hook blade. How easy are the blades to change. I just want to use this knife for dressing the deer in the field. I use a gut hook for most of the chore but I prefer a straight blade for ( lack of a better way of putting it) cutting out the anus the gut hook makes that chore more difficult so thats why I was thinking of a folding knife it would be quick and easy to change.
joe

P E T A
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

I saw this knife in a magazine the "Swing Blade" it has two blades and I looked it up on line it's not a gut hook but looks like it will do just as good I may end up ordering this knife. Check out the video.
www.outdooredge.com/pr...prod_ID=39

P E T A
Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

This is how I skin a deer. I use a buck 110 knife. www.youtube.com/watch?v=nneTTeoPDYU

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

Two Buck knives, one Old Timer, one Gerber and a Navy electrician's knife.

I use the Buck "Personal" when hunting and the "Special" for rumpin' around the mountains when not hunting.

picture 061 (small).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.39 KB
 Viewed:  12430 Time(s)

picture 061 (small).jpg

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Aloysius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

So little custom knives? Only Vince and he makes only his own knives?
Most of the time I use a knives in D2, ATS34 or niobium.
Maybe I'll ask Filip Deleeuw ( filipdeleeuw @ gmail.com ) to put some pictures of his custom hunting "Deviant Blades" here. It could give some of you just the push to try it yourself or you just want to draw your most wanted knife and ask him a decent price to produce it?
And no, I'm not earning anything more for this than a nice 'thank you' from him. It's just that I think he's worth it.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

And over the years I have found that my Buck knives have served me well and probably will continue to serve me well in the future. I've been using these two knives for a long time. I bought the "Special" when I was 18 and found that it was too big for field dressing animals, but just right for survival purposes. The "Personal" works great for field dressing and just adiquate for other jobs around the woods.

The "fancy custom" knives are just too expensive to accidently lose out there and don't do any better job then the "regular" knives. About all they do is feed egos...

Just my [notso] humble opinion.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Aloysius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting Knifes Reply with quote

A good user doesn't have to be expensive.
I'm hunting for about 30 years now, have been using lots of knives (and still have most of them in my possession). I also didn't want those fancy expensive custom things you're afraid to use.
But a few years back a knifemaker just gave me a custom knife and ask me to use it. I was even alowed to make some minor changes to adapt it to my needs. That knife changed my way of thinking. Now my knives have to work harder, have to stay sharper and even when I misuse them, they are not alowed let me down.
Now I'm getting convinced that for me that step to custom knives is only an intermediate to making my own. And still I'm not thinking "fancy" but only "performance". A good blade should always do better than expected.

But your statement about "feeding egos"... I like it and will try to lock it in my memory (although I get the feeling my harddisk is decreasing every day...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 9