Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Crop Damage !!!
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

I'm a bit over 95 miles south of Leonard Wood.

You do realize that the ticks are alive and well down here at this time of year and the pigs are great hosts for them...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
PaulS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

In Washington - the State, not that other place - agro folks can shoot any animal that is taking cash crops. No permit needed that I know of.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
wiersy111

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

I suppose there is a daily limit on ticks with a special permit. We've got ticks to but its the mosquito's that are the real problem around here.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
chambered221

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

I’ve been back to the property a couple of times now, the deer and turkey definitely love them their beans !!!

The farmer has someone coming from the state to give the final approval sometime in the next few days. I’m expecting the go ahead sometime around the beginning of next week. Very Happy

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
chambered221

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

I got the go ahead today, the permits have been issued !!! Very Happy

Now who has a walk-in cooler I can use ??? Shocked

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
stovepipe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

Lucky dog...
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

Damn! Good hunting. Enjoy...And STOP grinnin'... wtf

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
chambered221

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

~George Washington
wiersy111

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

That's it, just rub it in. Good luck.
Shoot straight and shoot often.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
chambered221

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

wtf Hunting in a bean field has turned out to be more of a challenge than I originally thought it would be !!!

I typically hunt in wooded areas where shooting is less than 100 yards.
Last night I had deer well past 300 yards to the east and deer well past 400 yards to the west.

It’s not that I have an issue with shooting that far, I’m just not set up of it !!! (Working on that real quick)
Hey Deer Sniper, I need ya to lend me one of them their 1,000 yard deer getters and a shooting bench!!! Very Happy

~George Washington
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

Hey Chambered....all ya need is a simple hide mate. Stick it in the middle of the bean field, set yourself up on a nice comfy seat wiv a rest, then have at the buggers mate.

Enjoy your culling mate...make each shot count...ya lucky stiff.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
chambered221

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

Trying to work some of that out now Vince!!!
Part of the problem is the walk in to where we hunt. It’s too far to carry the picnic table and sandbags. Laughing

~George Washington
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

Looks like you'll just have to buy a "beanfield gun". www.jarrettrifles.com/...field.html

I've looked longingly at the Remington Sendero IIs in .264 Win Mag for a long range rifle.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
chambered221

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

Kenny definitely knows how to build them!!! He also knows who to sell them to!!!

Right now I’m limiting myself to a max of about 350 yards so my Model Seven will work just fine. Actually with a better rest set up I wouldn’t hesitate using it out to about 450-475 yards.

The neat thing about hunting like this is the ability to sit and access the situation before taking a shot. Woods hunting when the pressure is on doesn’t usually give you much time for doing that.

~George Washington
WileyWapiti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Crop Damage !!! Reply with quote

This is a great thread - sorry I am jumping on it so late Chambered - crop damage is a pretty cruddy deal and it really helps if you have an oversupportive game & fish dept. In NW Colorado - we are somewhat hit and miss and it all depends on who you talk to. The ranchers & farmers play hell keeping the elk out of their stacked hay come the thick of winter - it is nothing to see where a rancher has spread out feed for his cattle and then to see 30-50 head of elk lined up at the buffet as well. Game & Fish (DOW) supplies gate pieces to assist and also in some cases they will open up 1st come, 1st served mini-seasons for antlerless elk to assist with the crop damage - usually in the Jan-Feb time frame.

I am for the farmer/rancher every time...that is one of the few remaining occupations in this great nation and others that a family really has ownership of making it or breaking it based on mother nature - those great people break their backs every day to keep ahead of the curve - and then to have uninvited guests come and take that away - good man for helping a buddy out with the problem!

Missouri hogs......Fort Leonard Wood.......Bushy - that brings back a terrible memory so I will share. I went to basic training down there over 20 years ago and I remember having to pull guard duty out at one of the training sites late one night - it was a portly young man and me armed with rubber M-16's and we had exactly one yard light for the whole area...it was around midnight or so and I remember seeing something make a shadow and it was moving rather quickly, the portly young man and myself made a heroic b-line for the cover over one of the picnic tables and hurried up onto the roof there - a wild sow had us treed so to speak - she would not move so we stayed up there until we were relieved - the relief truck pulled up around 3 am and they just sat there for about 10 minutes with all of them howling as they were laughing so hard seeing a couple of America's finest cornered and scared by a hog - it eventually left and we eventually were able to regain our pride. Good times...yeah, take a couple of those suckers out for me - I am not a fan for obvious reasons!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 2 of 6