· Views: 824173
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

The Long Road ...
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

So I finally assembled my rifle completely.

So I picked up a Envoy back in January from a member of another web forum.

So I bought for 90$ (plus tax and shipping) a couple of Parker Hale scope mounts. And since they use special rings that I was unable to find I made my own rings:

Also made the rings so they have a lock washer in place hidden from view to remove the need to use loc-tite or similar thread locking compounds.

I got them anodized for 150$ (including private courier charges and taxes):

Then I also had Ellwood Epps in Orillia install my Parker Hale mounts onto the rifle (cost something cheap like 65$ and they had it ready in under 3 weeks):

So I installed the scope:

Then as luck would have it, joking on the board about wanting to buy a Parker Hale PH5E/4 to match netted me one from a member named Alan on another board! Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

On a related note, the number Parker Hale stamped on the PH5E/4 base and sight assemble that Alan sent me, so people wont mis-match the 2 pieces happened to be the serial number of my rifle minus the "E" part. Very Happy

So I had the rear sight, but the screw (although correct I am not complaining Wink ) that Alan had was not meant to be used with the Parker Hale Scope mounts, I contacted Evans Obsolete Screws and I ordered for a mere 35$ the screws to secure the rear sight. He had a vague idea what I was after and he came through. His long screw to attach through the scope mount was alittle longer but nothing some filing couldn't deal with. Additionally its better longer then shorter as we can't put back metal. Wink

He had the screws here in a week after I had ordered them! Very Happy

So attached both the scope and the rear sight the left side of the rifle looks something like this:

I am using the sight that was originally installed on the Envoy. But the scope rings that I made about .200" too tall are prefect in this application. Only on the lowest power setting (3x) on my Trijicon Accupoint scope do I barely see the front sight otherwise on the (4x) magnification I keep the scope at I don't see it at all.

As for accessories:

I put together a cleaning/repair kit:

All the typical stuff needed to clean a rifle (Hoppes Elite as my cleaner) but with a spare 7.62mm extractor, extractor spring and Firing Pin Spring as well in the kit.

And I custom ordered a 53" Long case from Marksman Supplies to hold the rifle which is in the mail system but he sent me a couple of pictures to confirm that is what I wanted:

He charged me 10$ to add the pocket to hold the bolt above his price for the case, and he didn't charge me any extra for the extra length of the case! Very Happy

And last but not least, I loaded up my first 10 rounds of ammunition to see how they shoot in this rifle (more then likely in September when I get back from Europe).

Does all of this make me a bubba? Surprised

Dimitri

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

Nothin wrong with bein a bubba Toothless . Lookin good D. lookin forward to hear how it shoots Very Happy

Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
fnuser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

That serial # thing is awesome. Is that the same Epps that created the Epps magnums mentioned by Ackley in his handbook?

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

Yes that is the same store that Ellwood Epps started before creating the 303 Epps. Smile

Dimitri

gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

Just carry on Mr D.
You would find that the longer the road to completion, the more immensely satisfying project.

I own many rifles in different calibers, they all shoots well.
But the wildcats I have are always a WIP.
Yeah..!! Very Happy Very Happy

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

This is not a wildcat Geland, simply 7.62x51mm NATO. Smile

The gun shop I brought it to to have the mounts installed makes wildcats based on the 303 British called the 303 Epps. Smile

Dimitri

fnuser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

is wip work in progress? Thanks for the correction D It's been awhile since that read are there a few others w dif bullet dias?

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

Possibly not too sure but they have all been wildcats based on the 303 Epps. Smile

Dimitri

fnuser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

I didn't realize anyone from that book was still in the biz. He must have been a whippersnapper back then. the last edition was something like "62 . 40+ years since he was internationally famous.

fnuser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

HMMM, what chamber does that ross have in it now?

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

I believe Ellwood Epps has passed away before the new century, with a very long life at a old age.

Dimitri

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

My Ross project (unrelated to this one), will have a 303 Chamber, but at the same time I'm hoping to find a used 280 Ross instead for my 276 Enfield project. Smile

Dimitri

gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
This is not a wildcat Geland, simply 7.62x51mm NATO. Smile

Dimitri
Sorry I didn't make it clear D. I meant MY long project is Wildcats, yours may be anything else including wildcats.

fnuser wrote:

is wip work in progress?
Yep. Work In Progress..
the long and sometime lonely road..
Just like what we do in the bush tracking animals.
Mate.. it is BLISS!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

And I got the case today:

The bolt pocket not only fits the bolt but my Field book to keep notes on the rifle in it. Very Happy

Dimitri

Handloader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Long Road ... Reply with quote

Dimitri: what is your assessment of the Trijicon scope?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2