Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Reloading components
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Boleo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reloading components Reply with quote

I managed to get four bricks of primers and two cans of powder last evening at a local gun shop. The shelves are about bare and resupply is in question. Ammo is flying off the shelves. Most of the large supply houses are out of primers. Guess folks do not trust what lies ahead in the political arena. Take care...
Joe
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

Just came from a gun show. There seemed to be plenty of powder and some primers. I couldn't find regular small pistol primers, although they had SP magnums. I saw more ARs there than I have in a while, average starting prices around $1100. Most dealers had decent selections of guns, about as good as ever.

Last week I got some primers at a local shop. They said that it seemed that supply was catching up to demand.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
robfromaz1977

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

I hope supply catches up with demand soon. Makes an uneasy feeling seeing all the shelves bare in my local sporting goods shop.
Handloader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

Since BO's election, demand for components has soared by a factor of 3 or 4. There is a sense of hysteria manifesting itself with buying levels that border on hoarding. Whether this is paranoia or justified, the fact is that reloaders have created their own shortages.

Our normal sales of powder, for example, equal around 100 to 125 lbs per week. This week we got 200+ lbs and that was sold within three days. When we reorder, we see higher levels of backorders or cancellations, however, we receive a fairly high percentage of primers and powder, with the exception of small rifle primers.

At some point these buying habits will result in a saturation of supply on the consumer level, buying and stocking patterns will return to normal and we can breath easier. Unless, of course, the leftist Congress does something radical in terms of taxation levels on firearms, components and ammo.

Perhaps a lesson is to be learned as we humans tend to repeat our patterns of behavior. What if food became scarce? How long will the local markets have anything on their shelves? And, now that it is plentiful, how many of us are stocking enough food to last an emergency shortage of 30 to 60 days? Food supplies and food storage may be a more critical aspect of the future than ammo itself. IMO. And, what about water and water purification?

I hear customers talk about heading to the wilderness and living a sustainable life off the land. They envision heading out with a .22 or other chambered firearms and killing rabbits, deer, antelope, etc. Right, along with thousands of others? Self sufficiency in our society is mythical and in most cases absurd, but, proper preparation now can be a boon while there is time to act.
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

The shops I visit are low on just about everything. Primers (especially small rifle) are in shot supply, or on backorder and with no definite delivery date. Powder selection is limited and the entire stock is on the shelves; there are a lot of empty spaces. I believe it is a good thing to be prepared so get what you need when you can. All the best...
Gil

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

The only thing that I can't find is Power Pistol Powder, that I use for my 9mms.
On that, I can always substitute with 231, but I do like P.P. better.

Eric

NRA Life Member
codybrown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

I'm trying to find 16 pounds of Varget for my hoarding purposes, but nobody has any. I would prefer to buy it from the same person that I'm buying another 16 pounds of IMR4004SSC

chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

Hey cody !!! I see Ruger has a new chambering in their target rifles !!! The 6.5 Creedmoor.......... Poke Nuts Howdy

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

We had a local gun show last week, The crowd was so big they had to quit letting people in !!!

At one point it was a min. 2hr wait to get in.

One of the ammo dealers reported having his best show ever in 20 years.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
codybrown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Hey cody !!! I see Ruger has a new chambering in their target rifles !!! The 6.5 Creedmoor.......... Poke Nuts Howdy

I actually just ordered a Remington SPS tactical in .308 for my gun purchasing splurge. Any extra money I have had has been put towards reloading components, and I'm looking at ordering about $600 worth of stuff Surprised Hopefully I will now have enough to last me a couple of years under the new regimen Sad

lesterg3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

Went supply shopping today.

Tried a new place Sportsman's Warehouse in Columbia. Their shelves were almost bare, but I managed to get 1 brick of WLRM for $29.99, 500 WSPM at $2.99 a 100. Small pistol was the worst, I got 200 Federal 100 at $2.99 a 100, and as a last resort I got 300 Federal Match grade GM100M at $3.79 a hundred.

Very little powder, and none that I wanted, and got the last 2 boxes of Barnes .270 130 grain TSXBT at $33.99, and the last box of Barnes 7MM Mar 150 gr TSXBT.

Then drove a 100 miles to Carolina Sportsman they had a good quantity of powder. I got Hodgdon Titegroup 4 pounds at $21.99 a pound, and 2 pounds of IMR 4831 at $26.99 a pound, but did not have the H4350 I was looking for, maybe at the gun show this weekend.

They also had a good quantity of Winchester brass on had. For local guys the store is in Rock Hill on Hanes Mill Rd., phone number is (803) 366-3466.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
PaulS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

SPAM bot alert!

You can't sell what we can't see... but the google bots are going to love all that spider web.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

I think somebody messed with the wrong web site...

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

Wow! I went back to the start of this thread and saw that in 2009 I posted that ARs were starting around $1100! Now they are under $500. I think at the last gun show (this past Sat) powder was $27-30/pound and primers about the same for 1k.

English Mike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reloading components Reply with quote

2,000 CCI large rifle primers just cost me the equivalent of $54/1,000 & powder's $68/lb (both including 20% tax).
Saw a shiny new AR in Cabelas for $395 whilst over in NM three weeks back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2