Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824076
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Slow powders in 45 acp
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rescuemedic
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmmmm, Think I'll try some 4895 in my wifes 9mm....... rm
rescuemedic
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

Well, I guess Elmer Keith did hop up the 44 spl, and in a Colt, no less...... rm
stovepipe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

ElyBoy wrote:
OK--I have another idea for Dallan--I last suggested a "World is going to end so I'm suicidal" Forum

NOW I will suggest a "Let's reload to blow ourselves up" forum.

Over the past couple of weeks, the IQ of HuntingNut has somehow dropped by a bunch of points.
anss--welcome to this fine forum.

Please go to the post on this same forum that says beginners luck and look up my last post, but put YOUR name instead of Stovepipes name on it.

If you'd have read my first post, you'd have caught the irony in the title and the final line.

Luck is the residue of your efforts.
damianss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

ElyBoy wrote:
I grew up with the type of people who Handloader mentioned on one of his posts.
I lived just a few miles North of Camp Perry.
My Dad built two rifles that won there.
His best friend was Major Bob Alexander who won Pistol Championships at Perry for many years, and took me under his wing on how to reload, along with Dad and his other buddies.
One of my shooters in my Pistol League shot for the US Marine shooting team in the '60's.

Nothing personal anss, but I would like to see your discharge papers also.
I have a hard time believing that the Military has gone to hell that fast in so few years.

I just returned from the range with a shooting partner, because we are in the process of testing some new .41mag. LSWC bullets that she is in the process of working up.
Tonight I will reload 50 bullets at the starting load of 7.8gr of Unique powder with the just made 215gr LSWC.
Tomorrow, we will shoot and test for hardness etc.
It is a slow process for shooters who know what they are doing.

Eric

First off i know that working up loads is a slow process i dont just start adding this or that or hey ill try this and just go hog wild with it either.
Secondly i would still have been in the military had i not got wounded seems they dont want soldiers with only one lung any more so you know i dont feel the need to show you any discharge papers nor am i going to. you ask me for my credentials i give them and all i get is still a bunch of Sh*t about it. Come on this forum is a joke. NOt everyone here is gelandangan, thanks again for your reply to my post but the rest of you can go study your little manuals-- which you get the data right out of there and call that working it up? come on anyone can read a manual and say well im gonna start at the starting load and go from there.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

Reinventing the wheel by making it heavier, less efficient and less safe just doesn't seem like something I want to try. I kinda figure that the folks who MAKE the powders know what they are doing when they recommend certain powders for certain cartridges.

People here reacted to a concern for YOUR safety but if you want to take the "Hey y'all, watch this..." route and then belittle us for trying to be safe so be it.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
damianss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
Reinventing the wheel by making it heavier, less efficient and less safe just doesn't seem like something I want to try. I kinda figure that the folks who MAKE the powders know what they are doing when they recommend certain powders for certain cartridges.

People here reacted to a concern for YOUR safety but if you want to take the "Hey y'all, watch this..." route and then belittle us for trying to be safe so be it.

Ok back to my first question has anyone tried this and what were your results. never said anything about hey i have found the most efficient round, the most accurate etc. and as far as safety 14.5 Kpsi is way below sammi spec for 45 acp and we all know pressure is what blows up things so yeah i think that load may just be safer than a factory cor bon thats pushing 20Kpsi.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

I have an idea Damianss. Go to www.thehighroad.org and post this mixing of powders on the "Handloading and Reloading" section and get their reaction...I promise not to interfer while you are there... Smile

Oh...By The Way Damianss. Please do return here and let us know how you fared. I also don't want to chase you away from here either. Your views are of some interest to most on here. Just don't take it sooo seriously. Sure we will critisize some of your technics, but you have to remember we have a few young'ens on here and we don't want them getting hurt doing something that they might not understand.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
gelandangan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

damianss,

Again I reiterate, I am a wildcat shooter.. I have gone through many derisions from friends about my so called "new" caliber.
Well, the proof of the pudding is.... uhm we are not talking about food.

Best way to quiet all this skeptics is to show them that you are genuine, instead of pouring out sh!t.
In my short experience I found that usually the ones who brag about something that is untrue, would get hypo when asked for proof.

Here I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Of course you are certain that your load is safe, but to be certain, you got to have the pressure measurement jig.
You told us that you are using piezo gauges for pressure measurement and I thought goodie, someone is doing what I am doing.
We could now discuss this in the level of university science instead of backyard butchery.

So, damianss, when asked for the picture of the jig, you said that your camera is 35mm, no problem with that either.
Just to be in the right page, without having to have a digital camera, or a scanner, or a picture taking mobile phone etc. please help us by answering the following

what program did you use for your gauge enumeration?
Who wrote it?
what formula does it use to enumerate the pressure off the gauges?
What type of gauge did you use? What make? model? axis of propagation?
What is the gauge resistance at 24C?
what is the gauge factor at 50%RH?
how many layer does the gage has?
How many humps did you see on your pressure curve while burning a duplex load??
where did you attach the gauge to?
and finally by what mean does the gauge attached to your firearms?

Now I can tell you that googling would find most of the answer for those questions, but being a user of such jig, I can also say that there were many mistakes on the descriptions on those pages.
Unless you really use one, there are some question that you would not be able to answer.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

Holly Crap G-Man

Now I know why I use the books.

Everything that you said, went so far over my old bald head that I couldn't see it. wtf Confused Shocked

Think I'll start reading my New Lyman Handloading book.

Can't be too careful ya know. Very Happy Very Happy

Eric Wink Wink Wink

NRA Life Member
1895ss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

Well in my opinion if you are mixing powders, "stay away from me on the firing line" and I also think you're Insane ! Do you have a death wish???? One of the rules of reloading is "not to mix powders" ... right?

Hey I have an idea .......... does any one want to join me? I have about 10 or 12 different powders in my reloading supplies and maybe we could mix them together and work up a new load for my 45-70................. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .. Surprised Shocked wtf Confused Laughing Aaaaaah I'm kidding Smile

damianss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
damianss,

Again I reiterate, I am a wildcat shooter.. I have gone through many derisions from friends about my so called "new" caliber.
Well, the proof of the pudding is.... uhm we are not talking about food.

Best way to quiet all this skeptics is to show them that you are genuine, instead of pouring out sh!t.
In my short experience I found that usually the ones who brag about something that is untrue, would get hypo when asked for proof.

Here I am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Of course you are certain that your load is safe, but to be certain, you got to have the pressure measurement jig.
You told us that you are using piezo gauges for pressure measurement and I thought goodie, someone is doing what I am doing.
We could now discuss this in the level of university science instead of backyard butchery.

So, damianss, when asked for the picture of the jig, you said that your camera is 35mm, no problem with that either.
Just to be in the right page, without having to have a digital camera, or a scanner, or a picture taking mobile phone etc. please help us by answering the following

what program did you use for your gauge enumeration?
Who wrote it?
what formula does it use to enumerate the pressure off the gauges?
What type of gauge did you use? What make? model? axis of propagation?
What is the gauge resistance at 24C?
what is the gauge factor at 50%RH?
how many layer does the gage has?
How many humps did you see on your pressure curve while burning a duplex load??
where did you attach the gauge to?
and finally by what mean does the gauge attached to your firearms?

Now I can tell you that googling would find most of the answer for those questions, but being a user of such jig, I can also say that there were many mistakes on the descriptions on those pages.
Unless you really use one, there are some question that you would not be able to answer.
here is what i use they are cheap and pretty accurate.http://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm
damianss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

oh and also it doesnt have multiple humps on the graph using duplex powders.lets take for instance the 45-70 load what i use is 14 grains of the fast powder and 40 grains of the slow powder. now lets say i load just with the slow powder with 54 grains i get about 26kpsi max and a long extended hump comes up relatively slow and tapers down relatively slow. The barrel is filled with a lot of unburnt powder. now with the duplex load i swap 14 grains of powder doing it 1 grain at a time checking the pressure each shot till i get max peak pressure im trying to acheive that being 40kpsi for my gun.
what happens to the hump is the curve moves to the left and gets a steeper incline but still tapers off slow. so the pressure goes up fast but maintains at that pressure for a longer period. I havent been able to get that duplication from any one powder in this cartridge.
gelandangan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

Well damianss

just by stating the above I know that your previous claims are full of sh!t.

So go back to your corner and bug someone else.

Get!

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

Like I said Vince...I just gotta meet this guy, Gelandangan... wtf

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
ElyBoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow powders in 45 acp Reply with quote

Bushy,

I have had the pleasure of knowing and spending time in the outdoors with several Aussies, and they are all much alike.

I will share my campfire with any of them.

Great bunch of folks, who don't put up with folks that are full of crap.

Eric

NRA Life Member
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 4 of 5