Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

How much do you pay for powder?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

I just bought IMR4895 and IMR4350 and paid $19.00 a pound. How much is it in your areas? Just curious, thanks. All the best...
Gil

Aceoky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Sounds pretty close......around here it averages about $20 per lb, perhaps a bit more or less, but that's close usually FWIW

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Gil...Don't you have gun shows in your area? Here in Ventura, ca I save as much as $6.00 a lb...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Bushmaster,
We have gun shows, but I have never done very well at those functions. They tend to be small shows, with limited offerings and high prices. All the best...
Gil

SakoL61R

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

$17-20/lb. here in Ga. for H, IMR and RL flavors at the local stores. Wish I could find some Vihtavouri around here.....

The gun shows used to have a good supply and variety here. Went to one last month, paid "entry fees" for the wife and I and walked out without a thing Sad . Entry fees woulda paid the hazmat fee on the VV N140 I was looking for....
Sako
squirrelbait

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Just bought some LiL-Gun for 17.20. Most of the stuff, I use several are in the 18 to 20 here in NH
Handloader

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Wholesale prices on gun powder have risen noticeably in the past two months. Some are predicting major increases within the next six months, but, I don't know on what they base their predictions.

Local regulations have caused expeditures for powder magazines for even small quantities on hand.

Evenso, most 1 lb cannister powder is in the $18 to $20.50 range in the Phoenix metro area with about $1 per pound savings in rural areas.
Flint54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Seems like the prices are fairly much the same, I pay @ $17 - $21 a pound depending on the make and the #. Popular powders that are regularly stocked run in the $18 - $19 range and those that are not run in the $20 - $21 range. Sometimes I'll find one that I use in the $16 - $17 range and if so I'll get it even though I don't need it at the time. I still have powder from many years ago that I have no problem with.

If I could only find 2 - 3 others that use the same powders I do then I would buy it by the mixed case and split the price with the others. That way you can get it in the $13 - $14 range even with the Hazmat charge. Cool
JO422

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Around here in MN most powders are running about $17.00-$20.00 Lb. I just ordered some Accurate 2230C from Powder Valley and it's really cheap, $65.00 for 8 LBS. Add $20.00 for Hazmat fees and it's still a little over $10.00 lb. I know that this is some surplus or downloaded powder (what ever you call it), but I've been using it a few years and it relly works well for .308 and .223 ammo.

Powder Valley is a good company to deal with, it allows you to ship other powder or primers in one package to avoid further Hazmat Charges as long as the package doesn't get too big. There was a mistake on my order and they shipped out the primers that I wanted at no charge and let me keep the other 1000 primers that were a mistake Very Happy . I suppose that it didn't pay to have them shipped back, but you still have to give them an A+ for customer service. I'll sure buy from them again. Very Happy
yooperchuck
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Hi all, I am new to this forum and been reloading for about four months now. I purchased a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit. I reload for a Remington BDL Varmit Special .308........and am loving this new hobby !!!! Recently purchased a pount of BLC-2 for $23.00.
popgun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Hi,
Welcome to the forum's and to reloading. Powder prices do seem to be creeping up a little and I hope it is not a trend. A good way to save is to buy in greater quantity but try some more powders before buying in 8 lb jugs. BL-C2 is a good powder but does tend to be a little dirty burning. The advantage of 8 lb jugs is that you don't have to rework you loads as often like when buying in 1 lb. containers. But worry about that later when you have tried the other powders.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Flint54

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Cool Welcome to the site, stick around and join in the Happy Group. Glad to have you here. Cool
yotebuster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Very Happy Just picked up a 1 lb container of Varget at $19.99. Price hasn't changed much in a while. Good stuff.
Yotebuster
sniper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Gil...Don't you have gun shows in your area? Here in Ventura, ca I save as much as $6.00 a lb...

Hey, Bushmaster: Where in Ventura are you? I proposed to my wife in the park just south of the Catholic Church downtown. Best thing I ever did! But that was a couple of lifetimes ago. We used to shoot in the Santa Clara River bottom near the Santa Paula Airport, till some jerks started shooting at the airplanes on final.
BLASERMAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How much do you pay for powder? Reply with quote

I find most powder is between $15 and $20 a lb.
I have some Hercules Bulleye 3 lbs in one pound cans anyone in the Baltimore MD area need the powder $12 a pound. It's left over from
A shop that I closed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 3