Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Fox meets his maker pics.
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knifeboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

This fox was shot with a 300 Ultra Mag. Sako @ 225 yards. I dont suggest you shoot them with a 300 Ultr Mag. if you want to keep the pelts, but it sure keeps um from limping away.
I didnt shoot the critter (although I wish I did) these pics were sent to me from another guy.
I do have a 300 Ultra Mag, so If I ever get the chance I will shoot a yote or fox with it.

www.huntingnut.com/mod...l_Fox2.JPG

www.huntingnut.com/mod...%20mag.JPG
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

Howdy. Thats a little hard on them. I shot one last year with a 150gr partition in 308 and thought it wouldn't tear him up boy was i wrong blew him about 7 ft and almost cut him in two. Not as bad as that one

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
calsibley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

I don't know if it's the caliber, the bullet used or where we hit them, maybe all three. I've hit woodchuck with my .22-250 and almost turned them completely inside out. It's really gory, but sometimes it happens that way. The next shot may be just a pinprick, kill the chuck just as dead but without the mess. Go figure! Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
Crackshot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

I bought a Savage 112BVSS heavy Varmint rig in 25/06 and WOW! what a mess it made of things, sold and bought 223, alot easyer on me and the pelts.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

Dam*!! Isn't that like shootin' a rat with a .50 BMG??? Won't be makin' a fur bola or colar out of that....

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
BLASERMAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

KNOW WHAT I SAY----- GETER DUN
robfromaz1977

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

I got a 300 Ultra Mag and would probably not shoot a fox with it. I shot young coyote with my 30-06 using a 165 grain Sierra and it did almost as much damage as that pic of the fox. Not much left to clean up.
longwalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

This is why someone invented solids. Pokes a nice hole.

I use a 223 with 55 grain soft points or a 52 grain hollow point. The hollow points do a nice job as long as the target is out there a ways. I shot a badger at about 200 yards. On impact it sounded like slapping a steak against a counter top. One small hole going in. Flipped him over and that was that.

If I had to reach out and touch someone I would reach for my 25-06. This would preclude any thought of use of the pelt.

If I were trying to save pelts I would go with a 22 hornet. Just about as flat as the 223 much quieter and a little less smack. I have one, I just haven't killed much with it yet.

longwalker
robfromaz1977

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

I would agree with the solids for not damaging pelts but here in AZ it is not legal to use them for hunting.
POP!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

KNIFE:

What was the load used? Evil or Very Mad

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

robfromaz1977 wrote:
I would agree with the solids for not damaging pelts but here in AZ it is not legal to use them for hunting.

I bought some solid .224's years ago to try in my .22-250. They were really cheap and I figured they'd be ok brush buster's for Jackrabbits... well I loaded some up and went to my target practice area to try'em out and lo and behold there was a mangy squirrel sitting on a granite rock when I pulled up. I eased out of the truck and took a careful shot hitting it squarely. Well I went over to look at it to see what kind of damage a 3500fps FMJ did to a squirrel.

Pencil sized hole going in, pencil sized hole going out... what was amazing through is ALL of the lungs and the heart were sucked right out the exit hole leaving the squirrel hollow in the middle. It was the darnest thing. I never did shoot another critter with'em but it was a interesting result on the one i did.

-DallanC
Coyote_Hunter_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

I've shot coyotes with a .22LR, .22-250 (Nosler 40g BT; Speer and Hornady 52g BTHPs; and 55g FMJs); .257 Roberts (Hornady 75g V-Max); 7mm Mag (160g Barnes XLC); .375Win (Hornady 220g); and 240g .44 Mag.

The conclusion I've come to is its hard to tell what will happen. The .22LRs were just plain unreliable. The one 55g FMJ I tried was unreliable as it put the coyote down but did not kill it - that job went to a .22LR from my pistol. The 160g XLC @ 3000fps dropped one like a stone and I never did find an entrance or exit wound, but the next one was hit in the backbone and torn up pretty badly. The 220g Hornady was moving relatively slowly @ 2230fps and, while instantly effective, didn't do much damage to the hide.

The 40g BT’s at 4050fps have done the least and most visible damage. By least I’m talking about entrance holes that are hard to find, with no exit. And by most I’m talking about softball size exit wounds. The 52g BTHP’s are cheap and effective and are what I use now for the most part.

This morning I dumped another coyote (#60) with the .257 Roberts and a 75g V-Max at 3609fps. The entrance hole on the shoulder was marked by a streak of blood but there was no exit. 307 lasered yards and it dropped like a stone.

I don’t save the hide so I really don’t care as long as they go quickly.

POP!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

POP!! wrote:
KNIFE:

What was the load used? Evil or Very Mad

?????????????

LittleMagnum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

I bet it didn't yell-ip much after the hit ?
GanG
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fox meets his maker pics. Reply with quote

Nice job

this one is the aussie version, 22-250 - 40gr Vmax @ 4150 fps mv at approx 150 mtrs

entry
exit

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 1 of 2