Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820723
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

Having a bit of a surf around the net I came across this website. An interesting read.

Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
gelandangan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

Thats strange ..

My H&R 410 also shoots 45LC
here it says not to do because its unsafe..

Maybe my gun is 45LC that also shoots 410.. then its safer.

But, the receiver is SG1 unhardened type and that means its only good for shotgun ammos, not metallic center fire.

So?? I am not sure what to do with this H&R..

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

And then you have the opposite problem...Quite a few years ago I overheard a trade being conducted in a gun shop. It seems that this gentleman's favorite rifle no longer had ammunition made for it. The gun shop owner was in the process of trading him and "being kind" by allowing him $50 trade on the new rifle. The old rifle? A .244 Remington. The new one? A 6mm Remington! Since I had a pretty good idea where this was going, I just couldn't stay out of it.
I asked the guy what he used his rifle for. "Groundhogs." was the reply.
"Do you hunt deer with it?" I asked.
"Nope, just groundhogs."
"Do you reload?"
"Nope...I don't have the time or interest." he responded.
I then proceeded to convince him that the 6mm Remington cartridges that were in abundance on the dealer's shelves were exactly the same cartridge as his beloved .244 and would work very well as long as he stayed with varmint-weight loads.
He thanked me, had some rather strong words with the owner and left. I, of course, was immediately considered an unwanted presence in that store from that day forward. Not a great loss to me since I try to deal with honest people when possible!

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

SingleShotLover, you did well! There are times when I've had to bite my tongue over “gun shop bullistics” but they didn’t involve safety or ripping someone off. A few times I’ve waited until the clerk walked away and then threw my 2 cents in. I’ve been amazed at some things that I was told with a straight face. “Full metal jackets will RUIN the bore of that rifle!” And that was from a gun smith!

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

Good job SSL...I'm not so sure that I could have done any better...I probably would have used much less tact... Very Happy

Gun shop owners are somewhat simular to used car salesmen...In it for the buck. One must be weary when dealing with any person in the business of selling and buying. I've had the same experience as Pumpkinslinger and handled it the same manor...

You know...Looking over that list I noted some that probably wouldn't even chamber or were too obvious to be loaded into a particular firearm in the first place. Those that would need to be weeded out of the gene pool anyway... Very Happy

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Duce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

you know owning and shooting weapons all my life I have never tought or tried to chamber a round in a pistol or rifle with a round ( bullet ) other than what the rifle calls for or is chambered for. I kind of know what the results may be! I guess my father taught me well, think before you do something............
tracker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

Sometime when Keetowah is here, she can tell you the same story. We were in a gun shop/sporting goods store in Bozeman and she was asking me about rifles and I asked this kid behind the counter to show me a .308. He handed me a 7mm and she asked me the difference. I said, well the 7mm is a good caliber too, but a little smaller than the .308. The kid behind the counter said "bigger" I said "excuse me?" He says "7 mm is bigger than .308." I handed him the rifle back and turned around and started walking away. Keetowah asked why and I said, "this kid should be flipping burgers for a living, don't buy firearms from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about"

gelandangan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

tracker wrote:
Sometime when Keetowah is here, she can tell you the same story. We were in a gun shop/sporting goods store in Bozeman and she was asking me about rifles and I asked this kid behind the counter to show me a .308. He handed me a 7mm and she asked me the difference. I said, well the 7mm is a good caliber too, but a little smaller than the .308. The kid behind the counter said "bigger" I said "excuse me?" He says "7 mm is bigger than .308." I handed him the rifle back and turned around and started walking away. Keetowah asked why and I said, "this kid should be flipping burgers for a living, don't buy firearms from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about"

Hehe.. but the kid do his math right.. 7 IS bigger than 0.308 - 22.7273 times (2272.7273%) bigger Very Happy

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

Read the next post

Last edited by TRBLSHTR on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

TRBLSHTR wrote:
:lol:Much of what that link say's is true but some is way off in lalaland!look up the .300 savage and notice that it say's under do not shoot-338 win mag,the cartridge base is too large for the bolt face and the shoulder is too large to hardly enter the chamber let alone close the bolt with the 338! wtf
Handloader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

Bullshit flows both ways at gunstores IME&O. While it is inexcuseable for a store owner to misrepresent facts, often customers will chip in with their uninformed opinions as well. Sometimes, customers can't resist subjective statements about firearms they have never owned ("Glocks are terrible because . . . , What you really should buy is a . . . . 'cuz I have one and love it.")

In any sales situation, control of the sale has to be maintained and sometimes a direct rebuff to an overly enthused and misinformed customer is as much in order as a rebuff to any sales person that is misinforming or misguiding a potential buyer. And, yes, ejection from the store is always a recourse.

Worse is the customer overhearing another customer trying to get a purchase price on a gun he has brought in to sell and offering a higher amount. Not only is that unethical, but, it is also illegal. If the store's offer is rejected, following the guy out and conducting business outside the store is fine, but, never in the store.
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

Handloader: That is very true. Thankfully there are good gun shop owners and operators too. I can think of many times where I have seen shop owners do their best to educate a buyer who refuses to listen. I have seen shop owners refuse to sell ammunition to a buyer who simply refused to believe that .44 Magnum ammo shouldn't be used in his old English "Bulldog" pistol even though it fit (the cylinder was bored straight through and .44 Mag ammo did fit). I watched the news for several days after that incident waiting for a hospital report.

I have also seen shop owners try to explain that .38 Super ammo shouldn't be used in a 1902 Colt .38 ACP, .300 Magnum ammo isn't the same as .300 Savage, .303 British isn't the same as .303 Savage and the list goes on.

The problem with some shops today is that many of the "chain" stores are merely hiring warm bodies to fill positions rather than those that actually know what they are talking about or even making sure that they are educated enough to serve once hired. Many of these work on a semi-commission basis and of course are going to push the high-dollar items. I am much more comfortable dealing with old, established shops that are often passed down through a family. Besides, those old shops are where the most interesting guns are found; acquired through years of trading.

The burden also falls on the potential buyer, as you noted, to be educated enough to know what they want and why. Far too many buyers go into a shop looking for a "Lugar" (not even smart enough to spell it right), a .454 Weatherby Magnum double rifle (I swear...I heard it asked for because he read about one in a book where obviously the author was as clueless as he was) or a 42" barreled shotgun "cause they reach farther and hit harder". And then there are the just plain certifiable that want all of the deadliest firearms imaginable...full-auto of course...for vaguely insane reasons usually having to do with an anarchist viewpoint, that make you feel like you need a shower just by being in the same room.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Reply with quote

I was recently admonished in a local shop (by a shop employee) for having a preference for a non "carbon" length AR15. Supposedly, the "carbon" length version is better, "cause the US ARMY is using 'em in Iraq"...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1