Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

duck could surprise you
Topics related to waterfowl hunting
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Waterfowl Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
longwalker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

For those that don't like Duck try this. Separate the breats an remove the skin. Cut the breast up in to small cubes. Dredge them in dry "shore lunch" mixture.

In a pot of hot oil cook them until about medium. I prefer rare but you be the judge. Most excellant snack food and a perfect dinner food if you have enough.

The legs and thighs are usually pretty tough. Cut them up so you have separate legs and thighs. Season them with your favorite spices. It doesn't really matter what. Place the seasoned parts in a glass dish, cover them with plastic wrap and place a heavy weight on them. Place them in the refridgerator for at least one day.

Drain off the liquid, and pat dry. The final objective is to have the meat cooked completely and be as tender as possible. I cover the parts with oil but you can use broth or whatever. Place the dish in the over at 250 degrees for about 4 hours.

You will find the parts very tender not greasy at all. and full of the flavor you are looking for. Again this makes great snack food of a mail dish.
Of course you will need five or six ducks to make this work but it is well worth the effort.

longwalker
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

Hey, its a duck recipe that doesnt include a block of wood or shoe leather...

ROFL

I quit duck hunting because I just couldnt stand eating the mud gobblers any more... and I dont like shooting them for no purpose (I did taxidermy for a short time with them that was fun).

I'll concider trying to eat another one using this recipe maybe some day.

My brother says he has good luck maranading them in Italian Salad Dressing... he says I really need to give it a try and I always respond "no I really dont" Evil Devil

Geese or Swan is terrific eating but ducks... ugh. Glad YOU like them however! Wave

-DallanC
ghall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

I just take them to the Chineese and let them cook 'em. Invite everyone that I can think of and eat 'em up then they are gone until next year. Sometimes it takes three dinner's but it's not too bad.

tbox61

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

Dallan,
With this post and the Jerky post, a forum for recipes might be a good idea!

Tim

RPM1031

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

Dallan,
Did you try soaking them in brine for awhile then marinating them? All else fails grind it with some pork fat for some good sausage or as stated make jerky. Most guys out here prefer ducks to geese. It depends a lot on what they have been eating.

robfromaz1977

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
Hey, its a duck recipe that doesnt include a block of wood or shoe leather...

ROFL

Sounds like a carp recipe. I have never ate duck or even hunted them. I have allways heard they are pretty fowl, no pun intended. I do know a guy that thinks ducks are better eating than deer! Go figure.
ghall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

I cook them in the microwave on a peice of cardboard. After it's done, I throw away the duck and eat the cardboard.

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

ghall wrote:
I cook them in the microwave on a peice of cardboard. After it's done, I throw away the duck and eat the cardboard.
Howdy (LOL) That sounds like the best recipe yet Very Happy Very Happy

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
RPM1031

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

shrpshtrjoe, Is that anyway for someone from MD to talk? That's almost as bad as talking against crabs in that state. Very Happy

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

Sorry i couldn't help it Laughing Laughing Now crabs are another story Laughing Laughing

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

I guess it depends on where the ducks spent the summer. I know of areas where they live on good seed, flooded grain and corn fields... those might be pretty tasty. But most of the ducks we get here lived on swamp mud and grass and taste like it.

I love Goose and Swan, and have actually tried alot of different duck recipes but nothing ever turned out good enough to make me want to go hunt them for a meal.

Sounds like the eastern ducks might be better tasting than the stuff we have out here.

-DallanC
medic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

Preasure cook the breasts for around 30 min. in water and a few bay leaves dump water and bay leaves and let cool. take a fork and shread put in vegetable soup, or barbecue sandwichs. pretty good Smile
Flint54

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

Wave Here is another Great way to prepare DUCK!

Use a small covered roaster, I have one that was my Great Grandmother's.
The roaster is large enough for a very large chicken, duck, pheasant etc.

Skin and remove all traces of fat from the duck, soak in 2 cups OJ & 2 cups apple juice. Soak overnight.

Remove the duck from the juice and fill the body cavity with sections of apple, oranges and onions. Layer the bottom of the roaster with onions and place the duck in the roaster.

Bake at 400F for 20miutes and reduce heat to 325F for # of minutes per pound as listed for a chicken. The last 20 - 30 minutes baste the duck with the following glaze every 5 - 8 minutes.

Glaze: Take @ 4 cups OJ and place in a sauce pan, once heated to a high simmer add 3/4 stick of margerine, 4 table spoons of lime juice and 4 table spoons of lemmon juice. Reduce this mixture to 1/3 - 1/4 and add 3/4 cup of appricot preserves. BTW, stir this very often in the later stages or it will burn. Once the preserves are fully combined with the reduction the galze is ready to be put on the duck, Timing can be fun!!!

Note - This glaze is also great on grilled fish on the BBQ.

Have fun with this and try it, My wife and others in her family HATE DUCK. I made this and they asked what it was, it melts in your mouth. They went wild over it and I have to make it every time I go with her back to Michigan. Cool Shocked Cool Shocked Cool
RPM1031

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

Dallan, Sounds like the snow geese that come through here. They get heavy in south Jersey. They look like a huge moving white sheet in a field when they get thick. They eat to the roots and pull them up destroy the food source for other water fowl.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: duck could surprise you Reply with quote

Snowies are a rare thing here in Utah. I've seen a few from time to time but its pretty rare. I see 10x more pelicans for some reason than snowies. I've never killed a snow goose, and not for a lack of trying either.

-DallanC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Waterfowl Hunting
Page 1 of 1