Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Howdy. I just picked up another property for Hunting but there are caliber restrictions for center fire rifles and my 308 is out Sad but a 30-30 is aloud. I have a old savage 30-30 bolt that my buddy has had for the past 5 or 6 years so I went and got it back. I'm gonna do some hand loads for it. I was thinking on trying 150 grain Nosler B-Ts. I have had problems with them staying together on shoulder shots with my 308 at about 2800fps. With the 30-30 I should be around 2200 -2300 fps I would think it would hold together a little better at that speed. I think I'm gonna use varget. I don't have much time till the opener so load development will be rather quick. Any thoughts on this bullet for a 30-30. I have some 130gr Hornady spire points I was thinking about as well.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
GUTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea. I wish I could help but my .30.30 is a lever.
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Hey Joe,
As I've stated befor I love them Nosler Ballistic tips. But as evryone pretty much knows they are not for shoulder shooting. Because of their construction I would think they would still give you trouble on the shoulder even at the slower speed. A rapid expander on bone is a bad combination no matter how you look at it.
If you can stay off the shoulder, It would make a great combination. Ballistic tips are able to expand at velocities lower than a typical bullet is capable of. That would work great at the 30-30 vel.
skb2706

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Curious why a .308 would not be allowed but a 30-30 is ok ? A 30-30 in a bolt gun shooting SP bullets is a much more lethal weapon than the old Model 94, open sights and RN bullets.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Joe...In regards to your .30-30 bolt action problem...I am not sure how they will do in your bolt action, but I have had real good results with Sierra 150 grain SPT Pro Hunters, 32 to 33 grains of W-748 in my Winchester mod 94. Of course I chamber load each one and back them up with FNSP in the tubular magazine. I don't know how much time you have, but just a thought.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
terry264

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

skb2706 wrote:
Curious why a .308 would not be allowed but a 30-30 is ok ? A 30-30 in a bolt gun shooting SP bullets is a much more lethal weapon than the old Model 94, open sights and RN bullets.
Shocked

Joe, was wondering also, why the .308 would not be legal and the old 30-30 would be, since they both shoot .308 dia. bullets and produce over 1200 ft./lbs. energy at the muzzle. Some special area regulation or something? Confused
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

terry264 wrote:

Joe, was wondering also, why the .308 would not be legal and the old 30-30 would be, since they both shoot .308 dia. bullets and produce over 1200 ft./lbs. energy at the muzzle. Some special area regulation or something? Confused

This is private property A (air port ) I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the specific calibers they allow. I don't want to make waves so I haven't questioned it. There was two pages of rules as well they don't want us to gut the deer on the property for fear of buzzards interfearing with the air planes. Some of the rules I don't realy agree with but I will abide by them Smile it's a small price to pay for a decent place to hunt. My buddys son got me in only 7 people are hunting it. Thanks for the replys guy's.
Joe

P E T A
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Joe...In regards to your .30-30 bolt action problem...I am not sure how they will do in your bolt action, but I have had real good results with Sierra 150 grain SPT Pro Hunters, 32 to 33 grains of W-748 in my Winchester mod 94. Of course I chamber load each one and back them up with FNSP in the tubular magazine. I don't know how much time you have, but just a thought.

Thanks Bushmaster. I will keep that recipe and try it after deer season. I'm trying to use what I have on my bench ( I'm cheap Very Happy ) and I'm just running out of time before the season. Thanks for the recipe Very Happy .
Joe

P E T A
terry264

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Good deal Joe, airports around here are loaded with big game all around them. One of the best places around to hunt. Brother has an old Savage 340 that he painted black (his stealth gun, ha) with an old K-4 Weaver on it. Has accounted for lots of deer. Don't have any spec's. handy for pointed bullets as far as c.o.a.length is concerned but if they feed up out of the clip I would imagine it would be fine, as long as they don't bump the throat, well, you know all that. Maybe try the new leverolution loads for that rifle. Good luck, Terry.
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

I ended up loading up 130gr Hornady spire points gonna try them out this weekend. The B-Ts didn't want to feed real well in the Savage 340 not quite sure why but the 130s fed fine. Didn't want any issues in the stand, and I think the 130s should do very well at around 2400fps. I shot a couple doe's a few years back with the 130s in the 308 and they did fine.
Joe

P E T A
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Gidday Joe. Been watching this one mate...like Bushy my 30.30 is a Mod 94 lever gun.

I used to shoot 165 gn Spire Points (Sierra from memory) in my 10" barrelled 30.30 Contender for IHMSA and they were quite accurate, albeit at pistol velocities...might be worth a try.

Give some thought to those bullets designed for the 30.30 in lever guns. I use Winchester 150gn PPFN in my Mod 94 and they are not only accurate, but also have laid claim to many thousands of deer over the years. No reason at all why they wouldn't function, and produce the goods, in a bolt gun. Only real difference is the method of loading the rifle.

I load them using 34 gn of AR2208 (Varget) and it is a nice comfortable load that, as I say, is reasonably accurate out of my Mod 94.

Good luck with your hunt mate, and good shooting.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Shot this at the range today Shocked . 130gr Hornady Spire point, 34 grains of Varget, Rem cases, CCI 200 lg rifle primers at 75 yards. Not to bad for a fast work up and a old worn out 30-30 Savage 340 with a straight 4 power scope Very Happy

Joe

P E T A
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Joe...Is that a Fillipiano paso or an American dime?? Very Happy

Not to shabby...Even if it was a paso... Smile

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Gidday Joe, seems you are pretty close to the mark with your load mate.

I am assuming that the coin is about 1/2 inch in diameter (not familiar with your coins)? If so that makes your group well under MOA. More than accurate enough for deer hunting with a 30.30 mate. Well done.

Time now to "bring home the venison". Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Balistic Tips for the 30-30 ? Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Gidday Joe, seems you are pretty close to the mark with your load mate.

I am assuming that the coin is about 1/2 inch in diameter (not familiar with your coins)? If so that makes your group well under MOA. More than accurate enough for deer hunting with a 30.30 mate. Well done.

Time now to "bring home the venison". Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Howdy Vince Very Happy . It's a Quarter, the group is about 3/4 inch. I was pretty Happy with it. I will work on it during the off season I will probably put a variable scope on it maybe a 2-7 power.
Joe

P E T A
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 1