Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

New version is coming or not?
Help / Support / How-to's / Discussion related to PointBlank Software and External Ballistics in general
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » PointBlank Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lince

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

Please, could somebody give to me some forecast about new version?.
Basically my problem is that I'm waiting for european units (e.g. meters per second instead of feet per second).
Thanks in advance.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

This thread has taken a pretty negative turn so before it gets too out of hand, I'm deleting all but the original post, which is a valid question. Somehow I missed seeing this post when it was first made, but now that I have seen it, I'll respond.

PointBlank v2.0 is coming. It is 10x as complicated as the previous version due to trying to maintain both metric and SAE support in the same program as well as adding in all of the new "goodies" and features it desperately needed. In retrospect I should have maybe made 2 different versions, but that would have meant the SAE completing first and people still waiting for the metric version.

Regardless, the status of it right now is that I'm working on the conversion of v1.8a databases to v2.0. This is extremely complicated due to fundamental differences in how the different versions data is stored. In the new version loads are grouped according to a specific firearm. In the old version, loads exist by themselves, or attached to a firearm. This requires in the conversion, an interactive menu system to allow the user to create firearms during the import process, and attach the load to that firearm.

Beyond that I still need to tackle printing. Its alot more complicated than v1.8 because there are alot more ways a user may want his data printed.

The core of pointblank did come together fairly quickly, but then problems in my life have prevented me to work on it in recient. My job required a tremendous amount of time, working 14-18 hours is not uncommon. Because this isnt a paying hobby, its one that unfortunately has to take a backseat to my paying job. Also, 3 weeks ago I started a new job with a different company, hopefully it will free up my time and I can finish up v2.0.

Sorry for the delay, I know people love v1.8 and are eagerly awaiting v2.0.

Finally, Just to remind people, abusive or rude posts are not allowed to take care when posting you dont cross that line.

-DallanC
lince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

DallanC,
Thanks for your detailed reply. As you can imagine, my intention when writing this question was not oriented to put some pressure on the development of the 2.0 release, but only to get some info about the expectations or forecast for the new version.
Of course I know that this is a hobby software, and I haven't any right to ask to you to put more effort than you can get.
On the other way, I take this moment to say that my intention in this portal is to have some expericence from other hunters/reloaders in a very friendly way, so that's the reason I didn't take any time to increase the tone of the replies. Hope that most of the readers will take it in the same way.
Again, thanks for your excellent work and the time you're using to maintain and administer this forum. I hope that 2.0 will come soon (but please, everybody understand me in the right way: don't feel pressed and nobody understands that I'm trying to press.... current version is so good that the promised goodies are getting me to be very impatient!).
Best regards,
Lince.
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

You are fine. You had a valid question well worth asking. The thread started to drift to a point I wanted to bring it back on track and answer the question. I'm working on the software again and hopefully I can get the importing system completed soon.

-DallanC
fatbob
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

I just downloaded v1.8 and its a fine piece of kit, thank you.

Remember people, this is for FREE, there are no schedules or agendas.
WildHorse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

Who could bad mouth a FREE program as nice and as helpful as this?
You hang in there DallanC, I think you're doing a great job.
Remember, work comes first. then play time afterwards.

Thanks for all that you do and have done.

fireball 3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

Hi ther DallanC. I want to take this time, if it's ok, to tell you that I can appreciate the effort it takes to write a program. My son is a programmer. after watching him pullout hairs sometimes. I can feel for ya. As for me , I have a load data program for backup till you get the v2. up an' running. So don't stress too much my friend. You've had alot on your plate lately. So kick back an' punt if you have to.I'll see it when you're satisfied with it.
Salute Dave in Ca.

Tim_T
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

Hi Folks
I just wanted to say that DallanC has done a fine job on the PointBlank program. AND IT'S FREE! If anyone out there doesn't like the program - don't use it and write your own program.
DallanC, if you're accepting any requests for an update, is it possible for the window size to be made fullscreen, with the text to increase in size proportionally? I'm at that age where fine print is getting harder to define and stubbornness won't allow me to use reading glasses. Plus, I'd like to see the trajectory charts fullscreen.
While I know nothing about writing a program, I do know that you've managed to cram alot of versatility into Pointblank. I was thinking that the suggestions I made, would very well be of benefit to a lot of other people.
All the Best,
Tim in Yellowknife
84jeepj10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

Would it be possible to make the v2.0 to where long time or new inexperienced users could choose to run in either a simplified 'classic' view or new 'everything and the kitchen sink' view? So those of us who want the power of the v2 but the siplicity of the previous can have it? Or too much to ask too late?

res45

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

WildHorse wrote:
Who could bad mouth a FREE program as nice and as helpful as this?

People who think they deserve something just because they want it and then turn around and criticize it if they don't like it and have never payed one red cent for it. I appreciate all the effort put into it myself and it is very handy and helpful to me. If you don't appreciate someones efforts to create a free program and your that impatient then make it yourself. Thank You
Dirty Harry
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

res45 wrote:

People who think they deserve something just because they want it and then turn around and criticize it if they don't like it and have never payed one red cent for it. I appreciate all the effort put into it myself and it is very handy and helpful to me. If you don't appreciate someones efforts to create a free program and your that impatient then make it yourself. Thank You

I haven't read anything but praise and accolades for Dallan and his efforts. Where is the "badmouthing/impatience" and/or "criticism"?
Just curious.
res45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
This thread has taken a pretty negative turn so before it gets too out of hand, I'm deleting all but the original post, which is a valid question. Somehow I missed seeing this post when it was first made, but now that I have seen it, I'll respond.
-DallanC

He deleted all of that but the original post. I,m just making a statement about all those who do that sort of thing certainly not about Dallan.

Last edited by res45 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

Oh for Pete Sake...DallanC...Charge them for it...Then let them complain...For crying out loud!!!

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
jeepgc
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

Dallan

Is there any chance you'll release the V2.0 without the conversion? I've written database software and have some idea of how difficult that is. I'm sure most of us would be happy to enter our own info.

Ron
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New version is coming or not? Reply with quote

The importing / conversion process is almost done... it was painful to make it work cleanly and user friendly. Luckily this should be something users do only once.

Once info is loaded up, its really slick and easy to manage loads in a nice tree view. You expand the tree to view the firearms, and within each firearm is a loads tree, showing you everything for a given firearm. You can have multiple firearms of the same caliber (ie: RemM700 .243, Tikka .243 etc etc), each with their own loads.

After that I have to do printing and the "target" feature and it should be done. I regret a couple internal design directions I made though that has cost me time overall. I should have subclassed the textboxes and made them manage metric / sae conversions themselves instead of translating it all over the place. Ah well.

-DallanC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » PointBlank Software
Page 1 of 2