· Votes: 1302
  · Comments: 85

Support our Advertisers

What Rifle Cal. would you get?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glockman55

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting a rifle barrel for my T/C Encore, but can't decide which cal. to go with. I'm be using it mainly for medium sized game, Deer, Black Bear, Antelope. (I have a Savage 7mm. mag already,( a heavy gun to tote around all day on some hunts) and when I compare bullet ballistics I keep coming back to the 7 mag. I kind a wanted to go a little lighter like .270, of .280. or 308, I've seen the .270 at work out west, great cal. flat shooting. Being the Encore is a lighter gun I was wondering about recoil. That would affect long range shots, with me pulling the trigger. I can take the punch but I have a tendency to flinch a little on the larger magnums. What's your favorite Cal.?
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

Well a 7Mag can be handloaded easily down to .280 performance for general purpose shooting, and back up to 7mag performance for the few occasions when you need the extra "oomph". Very versatile caliber, 7mm's are my favorite bullets.

So yea... 7 mag handloaded.

-DallanC
Grant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

I have both the 270 and the 7mm and luv em both. Either one does the job for me hunting anything I go after. Deer, moose, bear, either will take them down effectively at any range I feel comfortable shooting at. If you do want a lighter pack gun, can't go wrong with that 270.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!
rrogacki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

The .270 is a great caliber and my favorite for deer. The 30.06 is pretty decent too. I can't complain about either of them.

Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

It depends since you listed some fine caliber choices and I have most of them. My preference is the .280 Remington. Can't go wrong on any of the cartridges under consideration. All the best...
Gil

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

I'd suggest you go into every gunshop no matter how small or remote in the area and see what calibers they commonly stock both around where you live and where you hunt.

That should cut back on the calibers you should think about because if you forget your ammo then you can always run to the store to buy some for the hunt. Cool

Dimitri

Arron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

If a store that is supposed to be in the businesss of firearms and does not carry .270 and .308 then they probably are getting ready to close! The .280 might be a touch more difficult to find, I do not look for it as no one I know has one. I would tend to think that the .308 might be worth a serious look as it will give you a bit more rifling to work with being a short action cartridge and make more use of the length in a T/C. And it is an extremely versitile round.
glockman55

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

Yes 308 is a good Cal. I used to own one, I'm not too worried about availability, If I go some where that finding a store is a problem, I'll take enough ammo with me. I JUST WANT A FLAT SHOOTING ROUND THAT WILL STIL HAVE SOME KNOCK DOWN POWER AT 300+ YARDS. And my 7mag will do that, but I want to try a different cal.

Thanks for the advice.
tracker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

If you want something different than that 7, I'd say .30 cal, either the .308 or 30-06 will serve you well and I don't think you'll find a gun shop in North America that doesn't carry factory loads from every major manufacturer. Don't know what the black bears are like where you are glockman but they definitely ain't medium game where I hunt. Very Happy

glockman55

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

Medium game, Bear I think not..I'd use my 7 mag on Black Bear..
Grant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

glockman55 wrote:
Medium game, Bear I think not..I'd use my 7 mag on Black Bear..

Funny thing, I've never taken a bear with my 7mm. All the bears I've taken have been with a 303 British. Just that I seem to decide to take a bear, or see a great bear, while packing my 303.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!
Arizona Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

What about a 7mm-08? Seems that is pretty popular in TC's, and you can stay with 7 mm bullets.
glockman55

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

There are a lot of good cal. out there that will easily take Black Bear, it's just a preference thing, and what your comfortable shooting. I love my 7 mag. and the 7mm-08 was one of my many choices. too many to choose from. I guess I look at the ballistic charts way too much. Thanks for all the advice...Keep it coming. Very Happy

Glock
Shipster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

If your wanting something light but still want some power the one I've grown attached to is a short action chambered in 270WSM the 300WSM would be my second choice again on a short action rifle like the Browning stalker would be hard to beat.

glockman55

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What Rifle Cal. would you get? Reply with quote

Shipster wrote:
If your wanting something light but still want some power the one I've grown attached to is a short action chambered in 270WSM the 300WSM would be my second choice again on a short action rifle like the Browning stalker would be hard to beat.

Yes the 270WSM has some impressive ballistics, but I was looking for a barrel for my Encore and that cal. wasn't offered. None of the short magnums were. I have a 7mm. mag, savage mod.116, and a 30/30 Mod. 94, and a Win. Mod.100, 308, I was thinking about a 270, 280, something lighter but still has some flat shooting long range with a little less kick. The Encore would be a nice light rifle to carry all day, on some of the hunts I go on.
Welcome Shipster.
Glock
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 3