· Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Bore Sighters
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brabus
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Bore Sighters Reply with quote

What laser bore sighters do you guys recommend? I'm looking for something not too expensive, but that'll work decently. Seems the "laser bullets" would be more accurate as they sit flush in the chamber instead of the ones you stick down the barrel (chance of it sitting uneven in there), but of course I could be completely wrong about that. Which ones have you had good success with? Seems like a good idea to use one of these and not go through a box of ammo just to sight your scope in. Thanks for the help.
rrogacki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bore Sighters Reply with quote

Brabus,
I use the Aimshot laser bore sighter. It comes ready to fit a .223, but for other calibers, a caliber specific arbor must be purchased. The arbors are sort of like a slip on case. Midway has the Aimshot and the arbors for a wide selection of calibers, but you can get it alot cheaper from other sources.

I found that it does a nice job of sighting in a rifle provided that I do it when the sun is going down or it is solidly overcast. Also it is best to have everything setup and ready to go so that you can work fast, as the batteries don't last for very long. Shocked

A final thought, unless you really have a rifle where a standard boresighter doesn't work well, the Aimshot is not worth the money. It is way too expensive, the batteries don't last nearly long enough and if you drop the diode it is becomes an expensive piece of junk. Mad Get a BSA or Bushnell boresighter instead.

popgun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bore Sighters Reply with quote

I have used several different boresighters to include the lazer models. Out of the two lazer models, one that insertes in the bore and the other that you are talking about that you chamber like a standard round. Ok, it works BUT none of the models that I have tried are any better than sighting down the bore with your everyday eyeball.
Spend you money on a better gadget.

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
brabus
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bore Sighters Reply with quote

Yeah, I just read a how-to a while ago on bore sighting....using the good ol' eyeball. Man, why didn't I think of that! So that's what I'll do...more $ for ammo I suppose.
Handloader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bore Sighters Reply with quote

brabus wrote:
Yeah, I just read a how-to a while ago on bore sighting....using the good ol' eyeball. Man, why didn't I think of that! So that's what I'll do...more $ for ammo I suppose.

Brabus, Popgun's recommendation is right on. We use boresighters every day, optic and laser when mounting scopes for customers with the understanding that they will place the bullet on paper at 25 yards. If we can simply eyeball it, it is not unusual to be on target at 100 yards. Wit some lever actions and ARs, for example, the boresighters are easier to use, but, all in all, unnecessary otherwise.

Except, when you are in the field or on a hunting trip and drop your rifle. If you have noted the crosshair position on the boresighter after sighting the rifle in, you can determine if there is a problem if the rifle has been dropped or handled roughly during transit. The most compact boresighter I have seen is the Leupold magnetic, battery powered.
george20042007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bore Sighters Reply with quote

I bought a LASERLYTE universal laser sighting system from Walmart a long time ago for not much money. I still see them being sold at Walmart these days, still not expensive. I've had great success using it. It minimizes time required to set up a scope as you concentrate on the scope without having to much head...and you can do this at short distances (like a wall in your house). After, at a 100 yard target, your hitting paper and all that's left is minor adjustments.

I got one cause I have some weapons I can't look directly down the barrel.
Keep it coming...
brabus
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bore Sighters Reply with quote

I ended up just using the eyeball method...worked great. I'm hitting the bullseye at 300 yds without even using a full box of ammo to sight in. But guess one of these makes sense if you don't have a bolt action.
1895ss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bore Sighters Reply with quote

I have often thought of buying one but so far the eyeball method has worked fine for me. A bore sighter is on my list of things to get but it hasn't ever made it to the top yet.

george20042007

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bore Sighters Reply with quote

1895ss, nows the time to put it on your Xmas wish list. It may not be on top of your have to have lists, but, wouldn't it be a pleasnt surprise to have one under the tree Smile
Keep it coming...
A17Shooter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bore Sighters Reply with quote

I switched to the Leupold Zero Point. Magnet holds to the barrel and it is as accurate as my bushnell arbor type and more convenient. One tiny package that rides in my shooting toolkit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 1