· Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

OK, so I'm nuts
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
English Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

First handloads done but I can't get to the range until Tuesday at the earliest.
Had some nitwit try & tell me 90gr Sierra GameKings can be loaded to 2.710 COL as that's SAAMI spec. This despite me pointing out that both Sierra & Lyman say 2.650" max & my Stoney Point gauge & modified cartridge having the bullet hit the lands at 2.675".

I guess it's just one more example of the truth that you can't fix stupid. Very Happy
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

Sure ya can.

The fix is......a shovel!
Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

look forward to the range report.....

English Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

Made it to the range today, with less than optimal conditions.
Bloody wind was 18-20mph right to left across the range, with occasional gusts close to 30.
BUT I got the rifle zeroed 1" high @100yds on factory fodder & IF I did my bit & IF the wind cooperated, I was getting 3 rounds inside an inch.
Tried some loads with 90gr Lapua Scenars that were worked up for the Accuracy International I recently sold & they sucked, with 3 shots spread over a couple of inches & more.
My load development rounds with the 100gr Interlocks stayed in their box, as it was too damn' wet & windy for setting up the chronograph.
Mebbe get back next week before i fly out to Albuquerque.
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

ah well they cant all be blue bird days...next time.

English Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
ah well they cant all be blue bird days...next time.

Now postponed for a month, as one of Mum's pet cats bit me in the thumb base joint today when I was getting it into a transport cage for a visit to the vet.
Spent four hour in A&E (ER) & have an appointment with a consultant on Monday AM to see if they need to open things up for a deep clean.
Meanwhile, I'm on antibiotics for cellulitis that started in my right calf on Tuesday & super strength ones for the bite...

dsc_1426 (2) (small).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.72 KB
 Viewed:  4646 Time(s)

dsc_1426 (2) (small).jpg

dsc_1425 (2) (small).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.74 KB
 Viewed:  4646 Time(s)

dsc_1425 (2) (small).jpg

Last edited by English Mike on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

ouch...old Gareth Morgan has got a good idea with cats,only good one is a dead one sort of thing....and yes I admit to a soft spot for cuddly wee moggys but they a menace when feral.
look after yourself Mate, sure dont want infection to get worse,if you feel crook get help fast as its not much fun when spreads or digs in deep.
Scratch hmmm .243 be good cat medicine Very Happy Very Happy

English Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
ouch...old Gareth Morgan has got a good idea with cats,only good one is a dead one sort of thing....and yes I admit to a soft spot for cuddly wee moggys but they a menace when feral.
look after yourself Mate, sure dont want infection to get worse,if you feel crook get help fast as its not much fun when spreads or digs in deep.
Scratch hmmm .243 be good cat medicine Very Happy Very Happy

These buggers are all 100% shut in Mum's house.
The bad news is, she didn't, despite multiple tellings, get hold of them when young so they knew humans didn't wish them harm.
Today's mess is the result, plus it looks like one of the two isn't going to make it. Sad
I'm gonna p*ss her off tomorrow, as I intend to catnap my favourite two & bring them home with me in the hope they survive the bug that's killing the others.
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

best of luck with them
got into work on wendnesday morning and small black kitten about 10 weeks old running around transport yards looking for a feed...been dumped I thought to self....not my problem...told one of the other guys who loves cats.....
next day it still there,hungrier still....so I got down into squat and did the rub fingers thing and it came over for me to pick up...very very friendly. got into cab of my truck with it and rang one of the office girls to come and get it... it nearly ate my lunchbox lid to see if any food,then into my rubbish bag on dash...too much for me to resist,opened lunchbox and found cheese n crackers...cat DEMOLISHED the creamy cheese. it had had a lot of handling as it walked all over me,up arms over head etc etc and not once put claw in.... thank goodness office girl turned up and took it away to give it some love...off to vets was last I heard. we have organization called street cats who take them in,cleanem up and rehome them,think they get snip at vets first so dont contribute to problem in future.
our last cat sits on mantle piece in a tiny rimu wooden box/casket,next to another box with her paw print in it...cost us a couple of hundy but thats the last cat we wil have...... NO its the last one...NO I dont need a kitten...NO dear you dont want one either....

Last edited by Elvis on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

I just don’t like cats...

I think it was Ogden Nash...

The problem with a kitten is that

It eventually becomes a cat...

Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

I'm with you hunterjo, I had catz once and they were fun but one got ran over by a car and the other got too close to a mule and got kicked beyond repair. The one cat would play catch, I'd roll up a candy wrapper and flick it with my thumb and he would run after it and bring it back, spitting it out for me flick again.

They do get a mean streak going and they mark their territory and after a while you just get tired of the whole idea of having an unruly biting menace around. Have not had another pet since. I love dogs and cats and kids but don't give me one please.

Suz

Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: I have it when that happens Reply with quote

English Mike,
I have had cats over the years, but went to having dogs as pets and never looked back. Hope things work out for you. Take care. All the best...
Gil

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

We have a domestic short hair moggy as a house pet and its ok. She only gets snarly when another cat comes into the yard...then she will hiss and swipe at anybody who gets near her.

I would love to have a big cat as a pet...tiger, jaguar or more realistically a puma, bobcat, or lynx. If I could have any of them I would lean more towards a puma...love the look of them, and apparently when domesticated from an early age they are very friendly and manageable.

However, there is no way that is ever likely to happen, but one that is available if you have the money is the Norwegian Forest Cat.
Norwegian Forest Cat
These are big cats. Males can weigh 13 to 22 pounds or more, with females somewhat smaller.
Cost is right up there...USD$600-$800 each.

Oh yeah...I'm looking forward to the range report as soon as your hand is right mate.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

Tiger?!?! Jaguar?!?!? Hells bells, I don't trust a 6 pound cat, much less something that big. I'll stick with dogs, thanks!

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so I'm nuts Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
Tiger?!?! Jaguar?!?!? Hells bells, I don't trust a 6 pound cat, much less something that big. I'll stick with dogs, thanks!

One of the Infantry Battalions I was in had a tiger as a Mascot. She was a female bengal tiger that had been hand raised and was a house pet at the local animal park. She would lay on her back and loved her belly being rubbed...purring LOUDLY. Sort of sobering rubbing the belly of a full grown massive pussy cat.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 2 of 3