Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

smallish anyway
Small Game hunting related discussion
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Wasnt sure which place you guys place the humble feral goat but this "feels right" for a K1W1.
When we shifted out here from the big city some 5 n a bit years back I spotted a couple of goats in a local creek bed from roadside one afternoon...amazing just how much more you see from elevation of a truck...
a couple of descrete enquiries led me to believe they were feral and over the last 5 years nothing has led me to think otherwise.
the nearest goats on a farm are about 3kms away so these few probably escaped years back and have been happily breeding away unnoticed as very few people would even suspect they were there.
well anyway the young fella spotted them again about two months back while fishing the creek...I tried to get him to go back and get a photo before I commited to a hunt but had no joy in talking him into that....too much effort!!!!!
well one of the chaps from the mens group I attend works on local farm and last time I spoke to him the question was asked if his family would eat goat meat??? yes was the reply..... enough reason for me after spotting them again myself last week.
today I prised my oversized butt off the couch and loaded up a few cat sneeze loads for the 7.62x39mm ( 151grn cast pill,4.25grns trail boss std primer) and headed off. parked car at road bridge and started walking/wading my way up stream...about 2kms upstream was were the wee huas had been spotted. a pleasant stroll with nice easy creek crossings,very little gorse to contend with and a recent flood has helped by scouring slime off rocks so it wasnt slippery underfoot. I found heaps of foot prints where they had trod,and heaps of doo doohs where they had Scratch ....been Very Happy so knew they had to be around somewhere.
I carried on upstream past where they had been spotted and kept going till ran out of sign Sad
nothing seen apart from one lone hare so time to turn around, now where the blue blazes were they hiding???? the area of this creek bed is only 1-200yards wide at most and no goats were seen over last 5 years in paddocks outside that so they just HAD TO BE in the scub somewhere Scratch
ok so I'd walked the open ground and come up blank so time to try walking through the scrub. two creek crossings later I moved up into scrub slightly above creek but only about 15yards off water , slowly stalking along when a quiet " crack' was heard ahead...now was that just broom/gorse seed head popping???? nope movement, quietly chambered a round and heheheheheheh goat walking towards me in the thick broom, up comes the rifle,down goes the bolt handle ...goat stops trying to see what the camo clad thing infront is (probably working out if she could eat it) crosshairs above head,thick part between eyes..phiiit smack and down she went...straight down, quick cycle of the bolt and 2nd yearling goat cranes head forward to find out why Mum has stopped....hard not to laugh..but managed to find head in scope and phiit smack down goes number 2. quick reload...nah not needed and 2 is enough. stoop and pick up one of the empties to reload and start the long walk to recover the animals.....
five not very long steps later Very Happy Very Happy I whip out trusty bacho knife and let the red stuff out into the sandy soil and stop to take in the surroundings .
a quick bit of knife work saw the poohs n wees bits on the outside of young animal and leegs and steaks off bigger animal
a pleasant stroll back downstream to car with pikau full of mum and young one across shoulders had me perspiring but the grin never left my face.

now to get in touch with my Nepalese friend and deliver his early xmas dinner present.

when SWMBO gets a minute I will get her to post the single photo I took on my shoe phone.

Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

here you go

goat.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.73 KB
 Viewed:  9772 Time(s)

goat.jpg

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Nicely done!

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Nothing small about the mum goat. Good work, Elvis!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Suzanne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Fine story too!

Suz
meat
eater

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Great yarn Elvis. The Mama goat looks real healthy and fat mate and from what I can see of the yearling he looks good as well. Great work mate.

One of the nicest roasts I've ever had was a leg of goat corned and roasted...beautiful.

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

delivered meat to my friend tonight...talk about huge grins.his young children were all eyes,its neat to see young folk who know meat doesnt come vacumn packed....the 3 young pet goats running around over the fence at friends place are going same way soon,they were looking on Shocked as we took meat from boot of wagon Very Happy .
the young goat was very fat,weighed somewhere around 15kgs..unusual to see fat on a goat but both were in prime condition.
kept a couple of legs and the back steaks off the nanny to throw the way of starving student daughter in CHCH Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Elvis on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Very nice. I like a story with a happy ending. All the best...
Gil

Toadlet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Oi I am not a starving student daughter in CHCH thank you very much. But good to see you are getting a bit of exercise in and controlling the pest numbers
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Toadlet wrote:
Oi I am not a starving student daughter in CHCH thank you very much. But good to see you are getting a bit of exercise in and controlling the pest numbers

Surprised Surprised Surprised Haha Haha Haha Haha Haha Haha

gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Awesome! nice write up.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Scratch well you wont be starving if your old Dad keeps giving you meat to stock up freezer with. Very Happy

Toadlet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Cheeky
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

Toadlet wrote:
Cheeky

That's a Dad's job Rachel...to keep his kids on their toes and thinking.

Haha Haha Haha Haha Haha Haha

Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: smallish anyway Reply with quote

here is photo of the round used,
I think you will agree thats pretty plurry good expansion from a subsonic round.

img_2418.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.89 KB
 Viewed:  9408 Time(s)

img_2418.jpg

img_2416.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.49 KB
 Viewed:  9408 Time(s)

img_2416.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting
Page 1 of 2