· Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

AR-15s
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: AR-15s Reply with quote

I saw my first M16 in 1965 while in the USAF and bought my first AR-15 clone about 10 years ago. Back in February, I had the good fortune to sell the AR-15 clone to my nephew for exactly what I paid for it. On top of that, a windstorm took down a 75-foot ash tree and my homeowners insurance paid handsomely for the tree removal (done by myself with the aid of the nephew and a neighbor). I was in a gun shop and able to pick up a police department turn-in AR-15 that was still in the plastic wrapper in the original box. The gun shop sold it cheap and I have been shooting the monthly rifle matches with it. These rifles can be very accurate at 100 yards. Most of our match shooters use AR-15s and turn in the best scores.

My point is, I know a few folks that really dislike the AR-15 and all share one common trait; none of them own or shoot this rifle. Anyone else encounter any bias against the AR-15? All the best...
Gil

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

Gil Martin wrote:

Anyone else encounter any bias against the AR-15? All the best...
Gil

I'd love one but the brass comes to close to my face when I shoot lefty. I know that make that plastic thing that goes on the extractor to force the brass to eject more sideways but its still annoying.

I wish someone made a lefty semi-auto centerfire, that would be lots of fun.

-DallanC
roklok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

Dallan,Stag Arms makes a left handed AR-15.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

Dallan,

DPMS also makes a AR-15 for left handed users, They call it a "Southpaw AR-15" in there specialty section of their website Smile

www.dpmsinc.com/specia...rifles.asp

They list them for MSRP: $875.00.

Stag Arms that Roklok aready mentioned has more options including the 6.8mm though.

www.stagarms.com/leftyrifles.html

Dimitri

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

Holy Smokes!!!

Wow... I didnt know about these... wonder how I can sneak a grand out of my wife cookie jar... Smile

-DallanC
fishingdude7
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

yea, ive had the same kinda issues with shootin the AR lefty...dont know about he quality of DPMS but i'll have to chk that out...other than that, a bunch of my buddies own bushmaster AR's and they shoot real nice, ive also shot the m16 and only complaint really lies with the magazines i think ive used...cause feeding problems. tho i do think sometimes they like to jam at me at inoportune times on a popup range on purpose...
but yea, i like em, real accurate

oh yea, also only other thing I dont like is the sights in general...if you dont aquire the same iron sight picture it can be off...just takes some practice tho.
roklok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

I have a Colt AR-15,with quality magazines it is flawless.Cheap magazines cause problems though,usually lets last round laying in action with bolt locked back.
Handloader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

ARs are reliable and accurate, there is no question. I owned an Armalite AR15 for a year or so but never could adjust to the "souless" thing. As a military weapon it may have merit but, for me, I didn't like the sound of the recoil spring. It is a rather noisey rifle and throws brass into the next county. But its a subjective thing; personally, I like blue/wood and, often, in single shot format.

I've shot several AR10s and found them to be clumsy and heavy. And Very Accurate!

I am pleased that people that want them can buy them in our country. I know lots of folks that enjoy them for varmint calling and, some, for competition. They love their black guns and lavish on accessories at every opportunity. But, when we call coyotes together, the Ruger No1 produces as many kills, often more.

Feeding ARs usually prompts their owners to buy a Dillon as a priority.

That said, Gil, I don't see bias against the rifle; we sell three or four a week at our store. The firearm that I see with the most bias is the SKS or the AK-47 and I fall in that catagory.

If you walk the Arizona desert you will find it littered with AK steel cases, shotgun hulls and 22 brass. Very seldom do you see significant amounts of 223 brass. This has caused the outright closure of several areas despite sportsman's efforts to have periodic cleanups. More closures are probable because of the blantant disregard for public lands that AK owners as a group demonstrate. I can't even begin to explain why shotgunners are so inclined to contribute to this problem but their trash is found in all aeas in equal abundance.

While we may be concerned about restrictive legislation and closed areas for shooting and hunting, it seems it is the shooting public itself that is creating the most visible and objectionable problem in our desert southwest. It is a shame.
kbis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

I am with Dallan, I always shot left handed until I went in the USAF in 65. We were one of the first groups to use the M16, I can still remember seeing racks of M1 carbines and thinking this will be fun and then they bring out this black thing that looked like it was made by Mattel Toy Co.

The brass going past your nose was enough for me to learn to shoot right handed.

We did have problems with the clip feeding in Nam, usually only loaded 19 rounds in a clip to prevent it.

Good gun, just have no desire to have one.
george20042007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

I have a Bushmaster & use it a lot. Some have said the trigger group isn't up to par & often replace it with an aftermarket version. Personally, I don't agree, I've no complaints. I mounted an inexpensive low power scope on it as I hunt coyotes & they often stay at distances too far for me to have confidence in the iron sights it came with.

Like Handloader, also from Phoenix, I can't beleive the amount of brass & shotgun shells I see in the areas I hunt. I pick up all my brass & shotgun shells & any other mess I make. I even pick up other peoples brass if it's something I can use, although it often is AK47 or SKS fodder.

Getting back to the original issue Gil mentioned, the only complaints I hear about the "black gun" is the cost. It doesn't fit into everyones budget. I too thought the gun was pricey but there is a lot of quality in these guns & the accuracy is great even out to 600 yards.
Keep it coming...
Boone
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

I once owned a DPMS AR15, I sold it to my son who is in the military and one day recently he and his Army buddies went to the range to shoot it. Anyway he said he could put 11 out of 11 into a 8x8 target from a standing position off-handed and so did his buddies. They all proclaimed it the "most accurate" rifle they had ever shot. So anyone that's interested in a AR15, check out the DPMS, it's a good gun.

Boone
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

Oh, by the way I forgot to tell ya they were shooting the target from 150 meters, and he said he didn't make any adjustments to the sights--which are the standard production sights.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

There are ways for you to make a low budget AR-15 which would still be accurate and also be about 500$ according to some other firearm websites. Very Happy

Actually in most firearm sites I've visited making a low buget AR-15 seems to be a topic that comes up ever few months. Smile Here are some resources a guy by the name of "Bonstrosity" posted on one of the sites I've frequent. Smile

Quote::

www.eaglefirearms.net/
For lower recievers (which need to be transfered through an FFL) and a lot of other stuff including upper recievers and complete upper barrel asemblies.
For cheapest reciever go w/ stag for 85 bucks. Some people think they work great others don't if it's just a plinker it'll be fine for you

www.m-aparts.com/
and www.del-ton.com/Search...egoryID=24
they have kits and a lot of other parts, no lower recievers though

www.bravocompanyusa.com/Page2.html
inexpensive cool looking tactical handguards

www.model1sales.com/
www.jtdistributing.com/
for parts and full kits minus the lower reciever

www.carricozarmory.com/lowers.htm
all kinds of lower recievers

Dimitri

Crackshot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

I have built 4 or 5 Ar's from Bushmaster and they all turned out at less than $675.00. They sold soon after they were put on the shelf.
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
mc223

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15s Reply with quote

I have been an avid AR-15 owner and shooter for, well I cut my teeth on an M-16 in Nam. I just can not visualize a more useful or versatile platform for whatever. they are no longer limited to 5.56 or 223. The 6.5 Grendel 50 beowolf .300saum 308 243 458socom are but a few of the available chamberings. Most of the major MFG are going to provide you with a very high quality reliable rifle. I tend to lean towards Bushmaster as brand loyalty goes. Buyer BEWARE of the slam bam, what a great deal of the gunshow table.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2