· Comments: 86

Hunting rifle accuracy?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rifleshooter09
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

Ok Guys. what is acceptable big game rifle accuracy? I know what i hold mine too but what do ya'll think??
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

The average "hunting rifle" must at least hit a 6" dot at 200 yards. the biggest problem with this is a lot of "hunters" can't hit the same target free style.

If you are talking about a .30-30...the same 6" dot at 100 yards.

Now these are average rifles for hunting...I know that everybody has one that can shoot the whiskers of a bean at 300 yards...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...

Last edited by Bushmaster on Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Spacedone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

its not the rifle accuracy but the shooters thats important for hunting.

doesnt hurt to shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards but its more important to kill what you shoot at.

game isnt usually standing completely still so you must be able to track your target and then hit bushmasters 6 inch circle {10 inch circle will kill a deer}
PaulS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

I have only owned one rifle that would not shoot groups under 1 inch with the proper hand loads. It was a 30-30 Marlin with the barrel so worn out that a 30 caliber bullet would slide down the barrel from the muzzle to the chamber. Didn't bother to rebarrel it just gave it away at a pawn shop.
Iexpect less from my pistols but I don't hunt at 100 yards.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

I agree with Bushmaster.....6" and less will give you a solid kill shot and a great blood trail......if you just so happened to nick or graze the vital due to position. But most rifles today with all the new ammo can probably do 4" and under, the rest is human error.

Although, i've seen people after getting "only" trigger jobs done pull some great accuracy as compared to not having one Wink

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

I perfer MOA for hunting rifles... My wifes .243 is 2.5 MOA and I hate it. I was going to try floating the barrel this winter but havent gotten around to it.

-DallanC
Blaine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

2 MOA is the minimum goal I shoot for. Anything less than that, and I switch it for another gun in the safe. With hand loads, that is do-able in a center fire. 1 MOA is better. It gives one the confidence that the gun is going to shoot where you point it. If I can't get 2" or better, there's no sense in hand loading.

Blaine

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

Let's put into perspective what Rifleshooter09 is asking....."what is acceptable big game rifle accuracy".

The average hunter is there to hunt, not to hit MOA or even tune his rifle to achieve those numbers. That there sets aside a hunting rifle from a target rifle, and understandably hunting rifles can (even out of the box) see MOA and better, but it's usually a seasoned shooter that will make that happen more times than not.

When i was in sales, i could pitch the MOA thing till i was blue in the face, and i have sold firearms because of those three letters. But when a guy asks if it can kill it and do it out to about half or so of a football field (better than 60% of customers), one then comes to a realization that numbers don't matter......Although in their eyes, the multiple harvest for that year does.

Just and a different swing on things Wink

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

Howdy ( center fires ) 1 1/2" from a bench @ 100yds or it hits the road Smile but I prefer 1". With good load development I can most times get to 1" or better.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

If Dallan posts it for me (my computer will not co-operate for me). This work was during a 10 mph (aproximate. Better known as a guess) cross wind from right to left. At 200 yards. Scope and rifle sighted in at 300 yards...20 rounds in four 5 shot strings...Browning A-Bolt .30-06...Was not allowing for cross wind...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
The average "hunting rifle" must at least hit a 6" dot at 200 yards. the biggest problem with this is a lot of "hunters" can't hit the same target free style.

If you are talking about a .30-30...the same 6" dot at 100 yards.

Now these are average rifles for hunting...I know that everybody has one that can shoot the whiskers of a bean at 300 yards...

I'm with ya Bushy. If you cannot meet this level of accuracy...notice I said YOU and not the rifle..... then you shouldn't be shooting at animals. Most rifles are capable of this accuracy out of the box, but unless you can do your bit then there is a problem.

515034s10ring wrote:
Let's put into perspective what Rifleshooter09 is asking....."what is acceptable big game rifle accuracy".

The average hunter is there to hunt, not to hit MOA or even tune his rifle to achieve those numbers. That there sets aside a hunting rifle from a target rifle, and understandably hunting rifles can (even out of the box) see MOA and better, but it's usually a seasoned shooter that will make that happen more times than not....

What 10Ring is saying makes sense. We are talking about Hunting Rifles here, used by hunters to hunt game.......not target rifles used by target shooters to punch miniscule groups in paper. You don't eat paper.

I know that my Weatherby .243 is capable of MOA or better....off a rest at the range. I don't take my rest into the field, so at the end of the day all that matters is that I can do my bit and bring about a humane 1 shot kill that does not destroy too much meat.

I reiterate what Bushy has said....read it above.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Flint54

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

Cool Acceptable Hunting Accuracy to me is being able to hit the vital area on your game at what ever distance you will intend to shoot, from what ever positition you shoot from 100% of the shots. A great target for this is a standard paper plate. If you can hit the center area with all of your shots from the postition you are shooting from you have acceptable accuracy. If the firearm in question will or will not shoot sub MOA or whatever but you can keep all of your shots on the plate at 300 yards then you have a firearm that would produce acceptable hunting accuracy at 300 yards. If you can only keep all of your shots on the plate at 75 yards then there is your max range and max hunting accuracy. Cool
PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

If we assume a maximum of six inch diameter target and we can shoot to that six inch group each time then with NO wind and NO angles up or down hills then that range is good for you to shoot at. If there is a wind - even just 10 mph - you can miss your 6 inch taget by up to 3 inches at 200 yards with a 150 grain 30-'06 half the time. The wind can blow your bullet off target three inches in 200 yards.
If you are like DallanC and some others shooting MOA the 2" group at 200 yards plus the 3" drift of the wind is still inside that 6 inch target - but only by one inch.
The smaller you shoot the more leeway you have when you factor in the possible variables.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Coyote_Hunter_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

The question is “What is acceptable big game rifle accuracy?” The only answer I can give is “It depends.”

In situations where 50 yards is a long shot, the ability to keep all shots in a 8” circle is probably good enough for large game. That’s 16 MOA, but I would be extremely dissatisfied with a rifle if that’s the best it could do.

I posted this on another forum a few days ago: “Happiness is 1.5 MOA with a lever and 1.0 MOA with a bolt.” In all my years of hunting, however, I’ve never needed a rifle that shot that well.

In the field a rifle has “acceptable” accuracy if you can keep it in the kill zone at whatever range you are shooting. Last weekend I was at the range shooting clay pigeons at 300 yards with my Ruger .257 Roberts and averaging a solid 3 out of 4, and maybe 4 out of 5. Another gentleman was shooting at a 12” steel gong at the same 300 yards and missing. He was shooting a fully custom 6.5mm-06 with a Mauser action, Boyd thumbhole stock and Kreiger stainless barrel. And he couldn’t hit the 12” steel with anything resembling consistency. When I was done with the .257 Roberts I tried a few shots at the pigeons with the Marlin .30-30. Didn’t hit any but didn’t miss by much, either. When I was down to 3 cartridges I switched to the 12” steel gong and nailed it all three times.

“Acceptable” is probably 2 MOA for my needs, which means shots under 400 yards, but I strive for better and get it. Floated barrels (on the bolt guns), tuned triggers and good handloads give me all the “Happiness” I need and often much better. The Marlin .45-70 has given me one-hole groups at 50 yards, the .257 Roberts has managed 0.232” at 100, and the 7mm Mag has done 0.262” at 100. The .308 Win has put 6 of 9 into one hole measuring 0.155”x0.610” at 100 using development loads where every successive load had an increase of 0.5g powder. (The other 3 bullets were just outside the big hole.)

The problem with accuracy, or rather inaccuracy, is that it is cumulative. Take a rifle that shoots 2.5MOA and you’re good for a very long shot. Add in shooter error of 2.5MOA and suddenly the range is cut in half for a target of a given size. Then add in a racing heart, shortness of breath and high adrenalin levels and tell me what the range is?

My shooting is bad enough as it is, so I’ll start with accurate rifles whenever I can. Its pretty easy to make a 1 MOA bolt gun look like a 3.0 MOA rifle, especially using field positions – I’ve done it many times!

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting rifle accuracy? Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
If Dallan posts it for me (my computer will not co-operate for me). This work was during a 10 mph (aproximate. Better known as a guess) cross wind from right to left. At 200 yards. Scope and rifle sighted in at 300 yards...20 rounds in four 5 shot strings...Browning A-Bolt .30-06...Was not allowing for cross wind...

LOL, heres the pict

PS: Thats the target I use with my Muzzleloaders at 100 yards. That 8" circle is soo easy to see around the 1x or open sights at 100 yards.

-DallanC

dscf1047.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.58 KB
 Viewed:  11872 Time(s)

dscf1047.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 3