Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

remington factory throats
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcruthis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: remington factory throats Reply with quote

anyone bought a new remington 700 lately? is the throat in it waaaay too long? im considering another new rifle and thinking maybe savage anyone have trouble with them?
jcruthis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

i should have clarified that i recently bought a new 30-06 and i cant physically load a sierra 180 grn pill long enough to touch the lands
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

Yup my Son bought an Rem 700 SS 308 24 5R and the leade on the guns chamber is very long. Loading up a dummy case with 168 gr barnes TTSX BT at 2.800 col which is pretty close to standard for this bullet. I then tried the bullet at 2.850", 2.875", 2.900", 2.925" and gave up cuz the bullet was barely in the case and still could not touch the lands. I may run a chamber cast on his gun just to see what the leade is.

Weatherby rifles for many years have long throats and one of the advantage to a long throat is to cut down on pressure. Plus another reason for the longer chamber is to allow the newer style bullets to fit without hitting the lands.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
jcruthis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

ive got 2 weatherbys (257 and a 300) and i sorta expect that from them but out of a rem 30-06 id like to know how far off the lands i am....i too have thought about casting the chamber bet im either too cheap or too lazy not sure which...on the positive side the rm does shoot real nice. well under an inch at 100yds.
im just wondering if savage is doing the same to thier throats too
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

Cost wise Savage is a good choice. You want a chamber that is easy to reach the lands? Go Browning A-bolt.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
10spotterminator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

Had that issue with a 700 CDL in 243. A known hot rod calibre for shorter than normal barrel life due to throat errosion and they start you off in the hole. After all the testimony I have seen lately on Remington 700 safety issues I wont be buying another 700 again ever until Remington bucks up and reworks them. I no longer have that 700 and was not privvy to this issue when I sold it or I would not have sold it . I was honest about the barrel to the fella I sold it to as he was going to put a custom Shilen on it with a slower twis for lite varmit pills.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

10spot...That Remington safety problem is the operator and not the rifle. The whole issue is hogwash. And you need a lot of it because hogs really get dirty.

It's like a glock. Keep yer booger hook off the trigger and it won't go off on you.

Yup...You guessed it. I have no use for a tupperware glock. Trigger safetys are a stupid idea.

10spotterminator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

Bushy...

I would have given Remington the benefit of the doubt myself until I saw a very recent documentary with video of a US military shooting squad demo the problem live and stating this had had happened on more than a couple of their contarct 700s. Seeing is believing and there are documented copies from one of their original designers of the 700 who had presented documents to the Remington powers that be that there were issues with the safety mechanism on the 700s from the onset and that he proposed they rework them asap as there were sure to be issues pending. He even has even been interviewed on film stating he did this .Remintons CEO denies this ever happened yet there were signatures from Reminton representatives in the file folder addressing the letter who were then but no longer in Remingtons employ. There is a stalled class action lawsuit pending on this issue as we speak. In the recent documentery I watched where all of this is coming to light they are showing how much money Remington has spent to keep certain victims out of court. You know how our capitaist system works I am sure. When in doubt follow the money. Decide for yourself .

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

Yes I saw that video and I still say BS...Remington 700 has been around for the last [how many years?]

Oh yeh...61 years and manufactured in many calibers to boot.

If it was all that the opposition says it is...How come it's been around for so long and still sells better then most other manufacturers models?

There used to be an OLD saying that my father taught me years ago.

Believe none of what you hear...
Believe only very little of what you read...
Believe only half of what you see...

It applies here.

Last edited by Bushmaster on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
jcruthis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

i gotta go with bushmaster on the safety issue...but the throat thing is eatin me up. im guessin noone has had the problem with a savage so im thinkin thats the way ill go. bushmaster when i was a youngin growin up in the 70s ava was the closest...(closest..is that a word?) town to us lived in a little town without even a post office hammond west of squires then around a bend or two from thornfield on 95 everytime i see a post from you it brings back fond memories. i hope its still a quiet small town
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

If the Remington is shooting 1" groups at 100 yards who cares how long the throat is?

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
jcruthis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

call me greedy but im lookin for a .308 group at 100yds..lol, i just cant believe the gun wouldnt do much better being properly throated. seems like remington has figured out a way to get 10 more chambers reamed with each reamer if they do it that way, maybe im wrong.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

Ava? Seems to be having a murder and drug problem these days. I've only been here for the last 6 years. I'm an Oregon redneck from Coos Bay. Can't go home because the liberals have done a job on the whole west.

Missouri? Love it out here.

jcruthis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

love it here too...chased work up to chicago , i was there for 23 yrs. hated every minute of it.back home and back huntin,fishin and trappin again like im supposed to be Smile
Eremius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: remington factory throats Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
Yes I saw that video and I still say BS...Remington 700 has been around for the last [how many years?]

Oh yeh...61 years and manufactured in many calibers to boot.

Let's not forget they have also been bought by the Freedom Group in that time period.

That would be the group that shuttered the factory and moved it to a different location where they hired all new people to make there guns.

I'm sure this didn't affect quality at all. Confused

Quote::
If it was all that the opposition says it is...How come it's been around for so long and still sells better then most other manufacturers models?
Because there are people who believe 'once good, always good'?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2