Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

On the road again
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

I see what you mean about the Niagara River Ron...that would be helluva ride...starting at the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge and heading downstream as far as the Devils Hole State Park.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
MacD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

Don't care for jet boats. We lost 3 people in one in the surf trying to retrieve a swimmer in distress. The combination of slow hole acceleration and the foam in the water restricted the cox's ability to react to asynchronous waves and the boat went end over. We only recovered one body. A solid set of outboards or I/O's is my preference. The smaller pollution response boats in my shop are powered by twin 150 Mercs except for one that has twin 115 Yamaha's. All have a left and a right hand prop combination to improve high speed performance and reduce steering fatigue.

inthedark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

MacD wrote:
Don't care for jet boats. We lost 3 people in one in the surf trying to retrieve a swimmer in distress. The combination of slow hole acceleration and the foam in the water restricted the cox's ability to react to asynchronous waves and the boat went end over. We only recovered one body. A solid set of outboards or I/O's is my preference. The smaller pollution response boats in my shop are powered by twin 150 Mercs except for one that has twin 115 Yamaha's. All have a left and a right hand prop combination to improve high speed performance and reduce steering fatigue.
I really have to say that I have been privileged to have taken my boat courses from guys that know their business and were willing to teach us well beyond the scope of the course that we were attending. It doesn't matter if it was Coast Guard, Navy or Police Marine units they all were great in teaching fellow officers no matter what stripe they were. On the point of the jet boats Mac, we have a Nahani jet boat for a patrol boat here in PA and it is painted battle ship grey and that old girl is FAST! It doesn't do go at slow speed or foam like you said but it is fast. I like twin opposing screw boats myself. They are so manueverable. We got complaints a couple of years ago while on patrol from people during the August long weekend that were at Diefenbaker Lake saying that our patrol boat should be well marked and visible to everyone. They couldn't see us coming. The fact that kids who were not old enough or properly licenced to operate jet skis and their parents were too dum and too wealthy to use common sense were the complaintants. As it was during that weekend on the Sunday at one of the campgrounds/docks we inspected we found two severely damaged jet skis and we were told by people there that it was teenagers/preteens that were drinking and crashed into each other. No police report and we just collected evidence and gave it to the RCMP det. We could catch up to any jetski on the lake. Unfortunately our speedo was not working and we hadn't installed the GPS/depth Sounder/radar unit yet in it.

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Be Copy now of Men of Grosser Blood and TEACH THEM HOW TO WAR
Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

jet skis aye... dont get me started on those noisy huas I reckon if they are making a wake within shotgun range of the shoreline they should be fair game. the usual owner/driver are very inconsiderate of others and are just a pain in the butt when trying to fish or just relax they seem to think the 5 knots within 200 yrds of shore doesnt apply to them.
rant over.

inthedark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
jet skis aye... dont get me started on those noisy huas I reckon if they are making a wake within shotgun range of the shoreline they should be fair game. the usual owner/driver are very inconsiderate of others and are just a pain in the butt when trying to fish or just relax they seem to think the 5 knots within 200 yrds of shore doesnt apply to them.
rant over.
Oh Sh-t! People don't think or care that the wake that they create when they are running paralell to the shore. The wave action is concentrated and causes erosion, not to mention the added stress on any structures.
I have heard of people putting marker bouys out from the shore and then putting a small sign saying submarine cable. People hit it with their boats and tear the leg off or have almost stopped dead in the water. I don't know of the truth of these stories but it does give me pause for thought.

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Elvis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

at our local lake there is places that it goes from deep to shallow in a hurry, very amusing to see a jetski go from flatout to stopped in a matter of meters, and then the driver get out and push it back off. the first year the lake was filled and the water dropped I couldnt work out these strange "wheel marks" heading over the bank. they were round in profile and up to 6"deep going for up to 15mtrs from the edge? it wasnt till I spotted the grooves from the prop that the penny dropped.

inthedark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

LMAO

inthedark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

Well, guys and gals, I am at my new duty station at Parry Sound Coast Guard Base. It is a nice community and the base is small and friendly just the way I like it. Now to get the house sold and the family here. Joy!!!!!

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

Good stuff mate. Now it's time to settle in and get back to work.

Cheers, Vince

inthedark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

This is a really GREAT base to be stationed at! I am going to like this very much. The job is going well and as I am learning some new programs and procedures the days just fly by.

MacD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

ITD. I envy you the location. For our friends who don't know where it is I am including this link.

www.townofparrysound.com/visitors

BTW we still have sub-freezing temps here while I understand Ontario is having the warmest spring on record.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

Definitely a beautiful spot with the best of all seasons. Ya lucky bugger Ron.

Cheers, Vince

Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

great to hear all is going well.

inthedark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: On the road again Reply with quote

MacD wrote:
ITD. I envy you the location. For our friends who don't know where it is I am including this link.

www.townofparrysound.com/visitors

BTW we still have sub-freezing temps here while I understand Ontario is having the warmest spring on record.

It has been in the mid to higher 20's for over a week. Last night it got to its coolest at 11C. No wind and just simplily beautiful in the morning here. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 3 of 3