Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Cougar Attack
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

www.foxnews.com/us/201...latestnews

One should never venture into the wild or outdoors without some sort of weapon. In most situations, a knife within easy reach will do.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

OUCH wtf

Them critters that "bite back" can be a real bugger. This little fellow is very lucky that his Dad had the wherewithal to come to his rescue.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
lesterg3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

Not just the wild.

"CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Just how bad is the coyote population in Charlotte Mecklenburg? That's what Mecklenburg County commissioners want to know.

The board heard from the county's parks and recreation department about the coyote population.

Chris Matthews, a spokesperson for the department told commissioners they don't know how many coyotes are in Mecklenburg County.

They asked for more time and resources to study the increase in coyotes and to determine the extent of the problem.

Commissioner Bill James even expressed interest in giving the department money to use a GPS collar tagging system to study the coyotes.

But coyotes have been a growing problem in Mecklenburg for years.

WBTV has covered the complaints and fears from neighbors extensively.

Take Anthony Berusa, for example, who recalls when he first saw a coyote near his home.

Standing at his kitchen window, overlooking his isolated back yard, Berusa says "I was in here cooking Sunday dinner and I saw it go right along the fence line."

"Just a beautiful animal" he says, "but I knew it was dangerous."

And it actually took up residence in his back yard.

"You can see where it's been laying," Berusa says, pointing to a kind of den dug into the underbrush. There's a creek right here where it can get water. And I spotted it running around the yard a couple of times."

Unlike a lot of people, Berusa has a healthy respect for coyotes.

"It's Silvery, gray white with black eyes," he says. "Very beautiful."

Berusa says he hasn't seen the coyote since. Others, however, want more assurance.

The coyote population in Charlotte has spiked, and they've attacked and killed a number of little dogs in the area.

Mecklenburg County have launched a new website is helping them to collect information.

It asks residents to report anytime they see a coyote. In the ten days since the website launch, there have been 165 reported sightings of coyotes.

Currently, the state allows coyote hunting Monday to Saturday with a firearm.

But now, state wildlife officials say they may allow coyote hunting on Sunday nights too, but only with bow and arrows.

However, no Charlotte resident could go coyote hunting because of the weapons ordinance that makes it illegal to use on in the city limits."

Big uproar the city folks don't know what to do. Oh my lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

And with all due respect I'd much rather be in the wild without a weapon than in any large city without one.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
This little fellow is very lucky that his Dad had the wherewithal to come to his rescue.

Cheers, Vince

Any bets on how soon the do-gooders will be screaming for Dad's blood for molesting an innocent wild animal going about its business?

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

Sad Sad that it happened to that young lad,and good thing that the cat backed off from the father-that cougar could have put a pretty big hurt on him also!Any body seen a cat fight when they are on their back?Not a pretty picture ! I don't live anywhere near the city here-9 miles in any direction.But I do live near a heavily wooded-once logged area where we have several cougars(I've seen 2 so far) and when the cougars are'nt here the coyotes are!I got a blue healer pup last may-and hes just smart enough now to get into alot of trouble in a short period of time.I take him on walks down the logging roads with an AR slung over safari style because the cats here have lost their fear of dogs,and like humans when they bend over to tie their shoes!
Here kitty-kitty,Mr. Stoner wants to "talk" to you!Oh yea -got a couger tag too! Razz

inthedark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

It is sad what happened to the young boy but when you are in the wild, you take the appropriate precations. Young children with high pitched voices and squeals would draw any predator and cougars are only doing what is natural. The responsibility is the parents. Now, there will be a great outcry on destroying the cat. it is no different with any predator and really for the few times that attacks do occur, people are very safe generally in the open when they use common sense. Sad

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Be Copy now of Men of Grosser Blood and TEACH THEM HOW TO WAR
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

Agree with your sentiments 100% ITD.

Biggest problem I see is the encroachment of "civilisation" (and I use that term loosely these days) on the natural and traditional habitat of these animals. The animal isn't to blame, we are. All the animal is trying to do is adapt and survive, which the coyote seems to be doing very well.

The unfortunate part about this "attack" is the cougar now has a taste of human blood and may very well like it, which will make him or her all the more dangerous.

Cheers, Vince

inthedark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

You are right on that 'having a taste for human blood' but probably having no fear of humans is a bigger problem. Although, the father did beat the cat off the boy and that will be a negative for the cat. Put the fear of God into him/her I hope.

War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach - Pindar 518-438 BC

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

Could be mate...we can only hope...for the sake of the cougar.

Cheers, Vince

PaulS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

Cougars have a history of attacking small children. They move erratically and run like prey. They are relatively easy prey to over-power until an adult comes along.
You can't blame the cat, they just do what they do to live. It is the humans you have to educate. If you are choosing to live in the rage of wild animals you have to know how to treat them - or they make a treat of you.
Paul

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
inthedark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

Bravo Zulu Paul!

Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

PaulS wrote:
Cougars have a history of attacking small children. They move erratically and run like prey. They are relatively easy prey to over-power until an adult comes along.
You can't blame the cat, they just do what they do to live. It is the humans you have to educate. If you are choosing to live in the rage of wild animals you have to know how to treat them - or they make a treat of you.
Paul
Yip I believe the way to treat them if they misbehave is a good ol lead disprin followed by the tanning solution. treat the skin/pelt right and it will last for years. Very Happy Very Happy

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

inthedark wrote:
Bravo Zulu Paul!

+++1

Cheers, Vince

lesterg3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

PualS makes a great point animals do what they do.

They have not forgotten to train their offspring, they don't drive deep into a forest jump out of their SUV's and go skipping down the garden path.

Now don't get me wrong I am not talking about the young boy from Texas who was attacked, I know nothing about him or his family or how they live and what kind of precautions the father has taught the kid.

What I am talking about is the thousands of times I have heard folks who were hurt or had family members killed by wild animals complain that someone else or the animal was to blame. Oh my the ranger didn't tell us there were dangerous animal in the woods, or Oh my we were just walking and the crazy bear ate our son.

In my humble opinion it is called responsibility, it is your responsibility to be prepared and to prepare you family for life wherever you are, in the woods or in the city or the animals will get you whether wild or human.

I think it is called survival of the fittest, and it maters not were you are, if you're stupid and ill prepared you can die. And, maybe you should.

And, I am not sure I believe that wild carnivores get a taste for human blood, I think they just find out how easy it is to get a tasty meal from a soft, ignorant human.

Sorry for ranting, I guess I am just tired of people who are a waste of God's air.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cougar Attack Reply with quote

Les, I've been saying that we need to reintroduce cave bears. Cave bears used to eat the slow, stupid people ...

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2