HuntingNut
HuntingNut
   Login or Register
HomeCommunity ForumsPhoto AlbumsRegister
     
 

User Info

Welcome Anonymous


Membership:
Latest: dejan
New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 12370

People Online:
Members: 1
Visitors: 217
BOT: 6
Total: 224
Who Is Where:
 Members:
01: fbu836 > Home
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Forums
03: Forums
04: Forums
05: Forums
06: Forums
07: Forums
08: Forums
09: Forums
10: Your Account
11: Forums
12: Forums
13: Forums
14: Photo Albums
15: Forums
16: Forums
17: Forums
18: Forums
19: Forums
20: Photo Albums
21: Photo Albums
22: Forums
23: Photo Albums
24: Forums
25: Forums
26: Forums
27: Forums
28: Forums
29: Forums
30: Forums
31: Forums
32: Forums
33: Forums
34: Forums
35: Forums
36: Home
37: Forums
38: Photo Albums
39: Forums
40: Forums
41: Forums
42: Home
43: Forums
44: Forums
45: Forums
46: Forums
47: Forums
48: Forums
49: Photo Albums
50: Photo Albums
51: Forums
52: Photo Albums
53: Forums
54: Forums
55: Forums
56: Forums
57: Photo Albums
58: Forums
59: Forums
60: Photo Albums
61: Forums
62: Forums
63: Forums
64: Forums
65: Forums
66: Photo Albums
67: Forums
68: Forums
69: Forums
70: Forums
71: Forums
72: Forums
73: Forums
74: Forums
75: Photo Albums
76: Forums
77: Forums
78: Forums
79: Forums
80: Forums
81: Forums
82: Forums
83: Forums
84: Forums
85: Photo Albums
86: Forums
87: Forums
88: Photo Albums
89: Forums
90: Forums
91: Home
92: Photo Albums
93: Forums
94: Photo Albums
95: Photo Albums
96: Forums
97: Photo Albums
98: Forums
99: Forums
100: Forums
101: Forums
102: Photo Albums
103: Forums
104: Photo Albums
105: Photo Albums
106: Forums
107: Forums
108: Forums
109: Photo Albums
110: Forums
111: Photo Albums
112: Photo Albums
113: Forums
114: Forums
115: Photo Albums
116: Photo Albums
117: Forums
118: Forums
119: Photo Albums
120: Forums
121: Photo Albums
122: Photo Albums
123: Forums
124: Forums
125: Forums
126: Forums
127: Photo Albums
128: Forums
129: Forums
130: Photo Albums
131: Forums
132: Forums
133: Photo Albums
134: Forums
135: Forums
136: Reloading Database
137: Forums
138: Forums
139: Photo Albums
140: Photo Albums
141: Forums
142: Photo Albums
143: Photo Albums
144: Photo Albums
145: Forums
146: Forums
147: Photo Albums
148: Your Account
149: Forums
150: Photo Albums
151: Photo Albums
152: Forums
153: Forums
154: Forums
155: Forums
156: Photo Albums
157: Photo Albums
158: Forums
159: Forums
160: Forums
161: Forums
162: Photo Albums
163: Photo Albums
164: Photo Albums
165: Forums
166: Forums
167: News
168: Home
169: Forums
170: Forums
171: Photo Albums
172: Photo Albums
173: Forums
174: Photo Albums
175: Photo Albums
176: Forums
177: Forums
178: Forums
179: Photo Albums
180: Forums
181: Your Account
182: Forums
183: Forums
184: Forums
185: Photo Albums
186: Forums
187: Forums
188: Photo Albums
189: Forums
190: Forums
191: Forums
192: Forums
193: Forums
194: Photo Albums
195: Forums
196: Forums
197: Forums
198: Forums
199: Photo Albums
200: Forums
201: Forums
202: Forums
203: Forums
204: Photo Albums
205: Forums
206: Forums
207: Photo Albums
208: Photo Albums
209: Your Account
210: Forums
211: Forums
212: Forums
213: News
214: Forums
215: Forums
216: Forums
217: Forums
  BOT:
01: Forums
02: Your Account
03: Forums
04: Forums
05: Forums
06: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
 

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 312
 Pictures: 2415
  · Views: 246906
  · Votes: 1255
  · Comments: 86
 

Support our Advertisers

Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PaulS
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posts: 3326
Location: South-Eastern Washington - the State

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

Mike, you are absolutely right. A light constructed light bullet will do the job only if it is placed in the neck or the right spot in the head. It will not work for a body shot. That is the reason I prefer big bullets when hunting. I don't use head and neck shots like my brother, John, does but I did try it and can place my shots well enough to take that perfect shot. I just prefer not to.
Paul

_________________
Paul
__________________
Speer, Lyman, Hodgdon, Sierra, and Hornady = reliable loading data
So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Back to top
View user's profile Send e-mail
MRFixIT
Member
Member


Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Posts: 52
Location: Newbrunswick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

while out hunting with a friend he put 2 shots in the lungs of a deer at 75 yard with 55gr from his mini 14. Deer took off at a full run for about another 60 yards,he stopped and I hit him again in the lungs with a .280 he dropped in his tracks. Bother of Glenn's shots hit ribs and deflected. Not with the old .280 in one side out the other. My way of thinking is why are there so many different calibers? Every one has there own preference for both large game and small game. If someone thinks their skill level is good enough to hunt deer with a 223 who are we to say they shouldn't. Me varmint rifles are for varmints and the same with big game. Just my 2 cents worth

_________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English, thank a veteran.
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 6829
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
After seeing what a .270 Win with a 130gr bullet does to an elk, I am not hesitant to use a 60-70gr monolithic bullet on the small statured Texas deer at 100 yards.

I don't disagree with you MRFixIT. Contrary to what I said before, I did hesitate to use a .223 to hunt deer when I got invited to hunt on a small tree farm. The land owner wanted as many deer gone as possible but didn't want the deer running off his property to die. The field we hunted in was 200 yards long and 100 yards wide at the edge of his property. Without more room to track a deer down if it ran off after being shot, I left my .223 in the truck and carried my .270 Win with Hornady 130gr GMX bullets. The .270 has as much energy at 700 yards as the .223 does at 100 yards. The result was 3 deer dropped in the field boundary.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein


Last edited by slimjim on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 6829
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

PaulS wrote:
A light constructed light bullet will do the job only if it is placed in the neck or the right spot in the head.

If I had carried my .223 with the Barnes 62gr TTSX bullets, I was only going to attempt neck shots. That was the only way I believe that the deer would drop in their tracks.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Aloysius
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Nov 03, 2009
Posts: 1984
Location: B., Belgium

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

slimjim wrote:
PaulS wrote:
A light constructed light bullet will do the job only if it is placed in the neck or the right spot in the head.

If I had carried my .223 with the Barnes 62gr TTSX bullets, I was only going to attempt neck shots. That was the only way I believe that the deer would drop in their tracks.

but then you don't need such an expensive bullet. In the ear or right under the head in the neck you can even do with a FMJ (if allowed). But when you're afraid of hitting something else in the neighbourhood, then use a varminterbullet. If that goes trough, the pieces that are leaving the animal cann't hurt anything else anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 6708
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

loaded up some 50 grain TTSX tonight with 25.25 grn of AR2206h behind them ...will find out how they group this weekend...may just have to put solid block of wood behind target to have a squizz how they are going to penetrate/open up.
SWMBO says they look like pencils...cant say I disagree.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 12766
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
...may just have to put solid block of wood behind target to have a squizz how they are going to penetrate/open up.

I think you will get a better idea of expansion if you use a couple of wet phone books mate. A solid piece of wood will not give you a realistic idea of how much the bullet will expand.

_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)

Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 6829
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

Wait a minute guys, I have an articule that shows how to do terminal performance testing.

www.huntingnut.com/ind...cle&sid=84

I haven't updated it to show you only need to reuse a plastic milk jug filled with water and a box of paper behind it. In the front of the box, position a phone book that is about 1500 page thick then put the magazines behind it. I use 15 magazines as a standard. I predict your bullet will penetrate around 1000 pages of the phone book. If your bullet goes through the phonebook and a couple of magazines, that's a bit of overpenetration. If it goes 10 magazines deep, that is basically just a pass through. Using GMX bullets, a .270 can out penetrate a .300 Win Mag even though it has less energy because the expanded bullet has less frontal area.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 6829
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

Elvis, there is even a picture in the article to show you what your TTSX should look like.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 12766
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

Ahh, I forgot all about your hard work Slim...apologies mate.

_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)

Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 6829
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

Thanks, Vince. There is hardly a time that I don't take a couple water jugs and a bullet trap with me to the range. I've been testing loads of 6.8/.270 and been doing .243 and soon .308 to see if what I've learned with the 6.8/.270 applies across a broader caliber range.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile
Elvis
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Posts: 6708
Location: south island New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

awesome article on the trap....Ive got some really big plastic bags that hold 30-40 litres of water...only work for one shot but bullets dont go through them Ive also used 3-4 bottles in a row that stopped projectile and just tipped it out of still full but leaking bottle...I could wait till SWMBO is not looking and knock over one of the sheep...however the bullet hole in forequarter roast would probably give me away.

_________________
You shot it You pluck it !
Them who eats the most duck eats the most feathers!
Back to top
View user's profile
Vince
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 25, 2005
Posts: 12766
Location: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

Here is an interesting throw on using wood as a testing medium.

I must give credit to the Mountain Molds Forum for this link.

Cast bullet penetration testing - wood as a test medium?

_________________
Cheers, Vince Cheers

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)

Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
slimjim
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: May 16, 2009
Posts: 6829
Location: Fort Worth TX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

Interesting, but its for lower speed, heavy, cast bullets. A medium is need to cause the hydraulic action required for expansion of modern bullets. That is what the gallon jug of water does.

_________________
"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." - Theodore Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein


Last edited by slimjim on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile
pete4d
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: Nov 27, 2011
Posts: 361
Location: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hornady's new 70gr .223 GMX Bullet Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Here is an interesting throw on using wood as a testing medium.

I must give credit to the Mountain Molds Forum for this link.

Cast bullet penetration testing - wood as a test medium?

Vince interesting article,,,,, Reminds me of the 1884 Springfield trap-door manual , Don't have the manual here with me , The U.S. government used white pine in all its test on penetrations , because 1-inch of white pine was equal to 1-inch of human flesh.
Cheers Sniper Cheers

_________________
"march to the sound of the guns and shoot everyone not dressed like you"--D I 1968

When the SHTF I'm gonna hunker down until all those idiots kill each other.

I'm on the watch list are you ?
Back to top
View user's profile Photo Gallery
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 3 of 4
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next



Jump to:  


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Advertisements
 


Valid CSS! Valid HTML 4.01!
Click to check if this page is realy HTML 4.01 compliant for speed :)

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of HuntingNut.com.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2011 by HuntingNut.com
Interactive software released under GNU GPL, Code Credits, Privacy Policy

.: Upgraded to DragonFly 9.2 by Dizfunkshunal :.