· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Here's another interesting point; ask anyone which one is a barrel burner, a 220 Swift or a 7RM...... I'll bet just about everyone will answer the .220 but the chart says the 7 is the more likely to do so. It all boils down to how it is used and how much abuse it receives.

I agree completely, I passed down a pre64 winchester .220swift from my grandfather to my #1 Son and its safe to say it has never seen factory loads. The loads my Son uses is IMR 4007ssc with 45gr Hornady at 3500fps passed down from me and is super accurate without being a barrel burner.

Yes he can go to full throttle loads, but what for when accuracy is moa at 250 yards with this load. Plus it saves wear and tear on the gun.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Isn't the .220 Swift one of the cartridges always "doomed to extinction"? Along with the .22 Hornet, .45-70, .45 Colt, etc ...

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
tcknight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
Isn't the .220 Swift one of the cartridges always "doomed to extinction"? Along with the .22 Hornet, .45-70, .45 Colt, etc ...

Very Happy After what happened to Custer and his men, it is a sure thing that the 45-70 and .45 Colt are dead. You just wait and see. No one will want one after THAT massacre. Very Happy
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Thanks, chambered. Interesting feedback. I haven't figured out how I would use this "overbored" information in a caliber decision.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
chambered221

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Here's my definition of overbore !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
slimjim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

wonder how long the barrel would have to be to all the powder to complete its burn?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

tcknight wrote:
Pumpkinslinger wrote:

Very Happy After what happened to Custer and his men, it is a sure thing that the 45-70 and .45 Colt are dead. You just wait and see. No one will want one after THAT massacre. Very Happy

Ya got that one right TC. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY would want to even remotely associate themselves with those calibres...they are obviously impotent and incapable of achieving anything near what a "good" calibre is capable of achieving.

I note that the venerable .243 Win is way up there in the extreme danger zone for barrel burners, yet the 22.250 is well below it down the list. I find this strange as I have always thought the 22.250, using max loads, to be a "4000 round barrel burner" at best, yet the .243 to be a fairly gentle calibre on barrels. Certainly got me thinking, although I don't see the need to load my .243 anywhere near max...high velocity doesn't always equate to good accuracy.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
tikkat3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

An interesting table but as quoted earlier,
'I won't be using it as a calibre decision maker'

A word of caution for all those concerned about hot loads in there hunting rifle. If you shoot 100 rounds per year you may have to rebarrel old bessy in another 10 years and your 100 cases have been reloaded 10 times
Aloysius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:

When you're not allowed to use rimfire for hunting, you start looking at the .22 Hornet with complete other feelings. I never liked that small cartridge and I wanted to have the 22-250. Till now I don't have a 22-250 and my Anschütz in .22 Hornet is what I'm using more than any other round. And when I need some more power, I'll take the .222 Rem. It's nice when you can adapt your toys to your needs. I'm sure you'll be amazed when you discover what you can do with this little Hornet. And 1 last thing: we are not allowed to use silensors. Now listen from a 100-200 yards distance to a shot of the Hornet and a .222 Rem or 22-250, what's not heard does not disturb anyone...
English Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Aloysius wrote:
Pumpkinslinger wrote:

When you're not allowed to use rimfire for hunting, you start looking at the .22 Hornet with complete other feelings. I never liked that small cartridge and I wanted to have the 22-250. Till now I don't have a 22-250 and my Anschütz in .22 Hornet is what I'm using more than any other round. And when I need some more power, I'll take the .222 Rem. It's nice when you can adapt your toys to your needs. I'm sure you'll be amazed when you discover what you can do with this little Hornet. And 1 last thing: we are not allowed to use silensors. Now listen from a 100-200 yards distance to a shot of the Hornet and a .222 Rem or 22-250, what's not heard does not disturb anyone...

That's weird; not being allowed to use rimfire even on rabbits is irrational, so is not being allowed suppressors.
Some of the best small game shooting fun comes from combining the two & using subsonic loads; click-flop. Very Happy
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Well here the only legal requirement to hunt big game is to use a centerfire rifle.

A 17 Fireball being a centerfire could legally be used to hunt moose last I checked. Shocked

Dimitri

dhc4ever

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Well here the only legal requirement to hunt big game is to use a centerfire rifle.

A 17 Fireball being a centerfire could legally be used to hunt moose last I checked. Shocked

Dimitri

Ah ha, I see you've found the modern definition of suicide......

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
Aloysius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Mike, where's the law that says a law must be rational?
I have the feeling that the opposit is expected...

I have an opinion on this: they are all focussing on having an equilibrum on men/women and nobody seems to bother that nowadays most politicians are lawyers. Government would improve when it was a mirror of the society: so if there are 10 % farmers, you should them find so in the government. Even the 5 % hookers and the 0,01 % bankdirectors...
chambered221

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

Back to the short mags !!!

The WSM's are no doubt the most popular.
According to Chuck Hawks readers choice the .270 is ranked 8th by information seekers.
www.chuckhawks.com/rea...ridges.htm
I think the .300 is the best seller though.
The 7 is popular amongst competitive shooters as is the 7mm Remington SAUM

IMHO one of the best ways to judge the popularity of a rifle cartridge is to look at the custom rifle builders and what they're selling.

Nosler, Ultralight Arms and HS Precision all offer semi custom built rifles.
Some options are available but for the most part they are built and sold much like a factory rifle......just better.
A gunsmith would no doubt chamber whatever you wanted for an extra fee, but companies such as these build and set prices based upon certain criteria.
All have WSM's available as an option. What I think will surprise most of you is taking a look at the current inventory at HS. They got a 223WSSM and a 25WSSM ready for immediate delivery !!!
www.hsprecision.com/sh...-inventory

IMO WSM's are more poplar than some would like to admit and I believe some of them are here to stay...... like it or not !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dying WSSMs and others doomed for extinction Reply with quote

The .223, .243, and .25 WSSM are impressive performers with several manufactures producing ammo. Its on all the major retailers shelves around here. I'm considering the .30 WSSM for an AR platform.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 8 of 8