No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work!
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrispbrown27
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

Saturday had a decent 10 point walk out and I got to use the loads I worked up. H4350 behind a 100 gr nosler partition. One shot broadside at about 125 yds and he dropped where he stood. Now, it had been along day and I was worn out, but there was no exit wound, but there was no exit wound to be found. To tell you the truth, I couldn't even find an entry wound. His lungs were jelly so the bullet did its job, but I just can't believe it didn't exit. Otherwise, it felt pretty good to see the load I had worked on do what it was intended to do and to do it using the rifle I inherited from my Dad. My 13 yr old nephew also took a nice doe with the same rifle and load combination. His was shot at about 100 yds. He pulled the shot off slightly but hit her in the spine. The bullet hit just above the rear of the lungs and cut through the spine like a hot knife through butter! Dropped her where she stood. The rear of her lungs were jelly too so I assume some bone or bullet shrapnel flew down there and tore em up. All in all, the little 6mm did its job well!

tucksdoe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.78 KB
 Viewed:  6388 Time(s)

tucksdoe.jpg

mybuck.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.35 KB
 Viewed:  6388 Time(s)

mybuck.jpg

chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

Congrats to the both of you !!!

When animals drop dead in their tracks exit wounds aren't needed/required !!! Very Happy

Did you recover the bullet ???

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
chrispbrown27
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

No I didn't. We got started at 2 am and by the time he hit the ground I was worn out. So we gutted and other then running my hand along the inside of his chest feeling for a hole I didn't put much into it. I would have liked to have found the bullet, but all that matters to me is that they both went down. I agree exit wounds matter very little to me.
Thank you for the congratulations. That doe of his was the greatest deer ever to him and I was pretty proud of it for him too. Been waiting to take him hunting with me since the day he was born and now he is hooked!
Chris
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

Congrats to the both of you, always glad to see another young hunter taking up the sport. Kudos Smile

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Suzanne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

OOOOOoooooooo very nice pair!!! They both look beefy and fat too, good job!

Suz

Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

great job getting the youngun a deer. good to hear the 6mm is dropping them for you, as has been said if they drop a exit hole/blood trail is irrelevant. you could try a Barnes type projectile if you are concerned by this. even if you find one that shoots OK you could use them for the scrub shots and use your super duper accurate load for the long shots.

chrispbrown27
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

The partition load is pretty accurate. At 100 yds three shots touch as long as I don't screw it up. And I am not overly concerned with an exit wound as long as the deer hits the dirt. Where I hunt is right on the border of the neighbors property so I had been concerned about the deer running in the wrong direction, but that was not a concern! I have no complaints at all, just assumed the bullet would exit.
He is definitely hooked! On the way home yesterday he kept looking at the empty cartridge and saying, "I can still feel the adrenaline just holding it!" Ha ha
Chris
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

chrispbrown27 wrote:
On the way home yesterday he kept looking at the empty cartridge and saying, "I can still feel the adrenaline just holding it!" Ha ha
Chris

Cant top that....that's what it's allabout. Congrats to you both. Cool

When's dinner??!! Razz
44marty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

Congratulations - Nice deer, great shooting. Awesome to share your nephew's first deer hunting experience. Congratulate him for us.

The strength of the wolf is in the pack; the strength of the pack is in the wolf. ~ R. Kipling

I LOVE YOU, LADY LUCK !!!
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

congrats, cb27! What velocity do you achieve from the short barrel rig?

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

Nice deer and a great experience for both of you! Congrats!

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
chrispbrown27
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

Slim Jim, I can't help ya with that man. I don't have a chronograph, just got started reloading this year. Sorry man.
Chris
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

Well done to both you and the young fella Chris...they are a nice looking pair of deer. As Suz says, nice looking beefy critters mate.

It great that you have indoctrinated your nephew into the fraternity of hunters mate...he will forever remember his first deer and hunt with his Uncle Chris. I am looking forward to doing the same with my grandsons.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
moose2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

Congrats to you and your nephew on your deer. Nice to see others still using the 6mm. I've shot many a deer and antelope with mine. Very Happy

tcknight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got to put the 6mm loads to work! Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:

When animals drop dead in their tracks exit wounds aren't needed/required !!! Very Happy

Truer words have rarely been spoken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2