Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824170
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Finally done it
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

Donut Slayer wrote:
Oh, and the reason I decided to get it was, every once in a while my RCBS scale would act crazy. I mean, the beam would stay just under the balance point while I trickled powder then all of a sudden it would tipp straight up. WTH?????? I would take it apart (assuming dust) and clean it, wipe it down with a anti static dryer sheet but it would still malfunction. The next day it would be fine. There would be no air currents, no radio interference or any thing that I could figure out. My Lee scale wouldnt be affected, but I really dont care for that scale.

I had a Lyman D7 start doing that. Stick ,suddenly not read as it always had, became downright random in its readings. POC only lasted 30 odd years Mad , I still dont know why. Confused
It got shelved and has been replaced with an RCBS 505.
The electronic stuff over here is very expensive considering its made in china, and I'm a Luddite, so analogue suits me just fine.
1/70,000th of a lb is close enough all other things considered.

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

My process with the digital scale and dispenser is to throw a charge and dump it in the case. Then I start dispensing the next charge while I seat the bullet in the first.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

If the dispensing time and seating time overlap you save time in the long run.

(How's that for dealing with an accidental double post?)

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle

Last edited by Pumpkinslinger on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
chambered221

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

Dawgdad wrote:
How accurate is it and how accurate do you need it to be?

As accurate as I can be without getting stupid !!! Shocked
I do however worry more about a consistent charge. I don't mind the charge being off a little, I just don't want a big swing of plus or minus that will occur from time to time with a powder thrower.

I've come to the same realization you have but I can't bring myself to the point to just hold the case under the powder dispenser and stick a bullet in.

If I were loading the quantities you load for rifle maybe it would be easier to do !!!

What do you have to say about a electronic scales consistency as it relates to grains ???

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
chambered221

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
One solution to a long dispense time is to throw most of your charge with a manual powder dispenser then let the automatic one trickle in the remaining amount.

I'm beginning to think the economical way for me to go about this is to just buy a electronic scale and manually trickle the last little bit.

It'll be faster and cheaper !!!

If I'm going to spend that kind of money I don't want to take a step forward and backwards at the same time. Confused

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

Chambered...As you know I weigh all powder charges. I use a RCBS Powder Pro (photo above) that is around 20 years old. When I compare it to my RCBS 5-0-5 It matches. The other thing people worry about is electronic scale repeatability. weighing the same charge several times has proven mine to repeat every time.

As far as how fast it is. I can weigh and drop two to four times faster then waiting for a balance scale to quit bouncing. I also trickle the last grain or two manually with a trickler.

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...

Last edited by Bushmaster on Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

Here's an article about digital scales written by Allan Jones. If I remember correctly he edited Speer's reloading manuals for about 14 years.

www.shootingtimes.com/...ed_040411/

chambered221

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

Bushmaster wrote:
I use a RCBS Powder Pro (photo above)

wtf You sure bout that ???

I was originally considering the complete dispensing unit not just a scale. That's where I see the speed issue !!!

~George Washington
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

Good read. Looks like he copied it from my Powder Pro manual. My electronic scale came with two calibration weights. (20 gm and 50 gm). Takes but a minute to calibrate.

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

Well darnies Chambered...Must have been on another thread. But in keeping with the "above" part of it. We'll try again. This time "below"...

powder scales (medium).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.02 KB
 Viewed:  4128 Time(s)

powder scales (medium).jpg

chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

Yup .... that's it.... seen it a few times or so !!! Last time was in Would you shoot someone else's reloads? ......remember now ? Idea

Donut Slayer...... got that thing broke in yet ???

~George Washington
Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Yup .... that's it.... seen it a few times or so !!! Last time was in Would you shoot someone else's reloads? ......remember now ? Idea

Donut Slayer...... got that thing broke in yet ???
not yet, still playing with it. The scale seems very repeatable as I've compared it to my RCBS with primers, bullets cases, so as far as the scale goes its a keeper. I'm off today so I'll try to time the thing and see how long it takes to throw a charge.

Donut Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

dispensing 50.0 grains of IMR4831 takes about 25 seconds and only "off" 2 times out of 20 by .1 grains. not bad if ya ask me.

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

Interesting, thats a big improvement from a few years ago, I was over at hornadys web site and read the pdf on your machine and apparently when you buy it from the factory, the settings are very conservative. From reading it, you could gain quite a bit of speed buy adjusting a few settings, finding a happy medium with speed and accuracy would be great.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally done it Reply with quote

The PACT must learn as it goes because it seems to increase speed slightly on each charge until it overshoots one, then it slows down a touch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 2 of 3