Pictures: 2369
  · Views: 294856
  · Votes: 1301
  · Comments: 86

Support our Advertisers

Coytes 3 TCKnight 0
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcknight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

Well, I started out my Coyote season yesterday.

I got up late and got to my first stand at 10:00 AM. I was kind of discouraged because I had a strong south wind blowing and didn't think ANYTHING could hear the predator calls with all that going on. So, I got set up, face in the wind, and a decoy set downhill from me about 50 yards. Hit the play button on the FoxPro and nothing. Hit the button again and again and again, and then, I could faintly hear something. The blasted wind was blowing so strong through the pine trees that I couldn't hear my own call 50 yards away. Since it was facing away from me and blowing up wind, I just had to hope it was doing its thing. After about 30 minutes of nothing, I decided that I needed to blast their eardrums so I changed over to a jackrabbit call which is much louder than the cottontail I usually use. Just hoped these coyotes didn't KNOW there was no jackrabbit within about 600 miles of here.
tcknight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

So, I play the Jackrabbit scream a few minutes and paused and waited for five minutes. I played it again for a minute and stopped it again. All of a sudden here comes a yearling coyote trotting up the logging road toward the decoy. He has his head down sniffing along. I put my crosshairs behind his shoulder but kept getting trees and brush between us. So, I waited until he was even with the call and barked at him. He turned straight on toward me. I placed the crosshairs on his chest and.....jerked the dad gum trigger and missed him by an inch. AT 50 YARDS! Mad

So, I left there and drove about 50 miles to another farm. Some rabbit hunters let out beagles about 5 minutes after I started calling so that stand was blown, and my second stand was fruitless (unless you think calling up a couple of white tail deer success). Confused

So, day one was in the book with coyotes 1 tcknight 0.
tcknight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

So, today I get up and find out I have a couple of honey do's planned. After taking care of the important stuff, I left for another hunt. I wasn't expecting much at 2:00 in the afternoon but had to get out while the getting was good. Smile

I stayed on my first set for 45 minutes calling nothing but some very unhappy birds. Finally got up, packed up and started walking to my next set. About 150 yards along I spotted a coyote walking up a wooded hill across the pasture from me. I immediately belly flopped and got crosshairs on him. It was too thick to shoot but the direction he was walking would bring him out on a pretty open ridge. And then...he just dissappeared. Embarassed I laid there about 10 minutes and finally gave up. BTW, he was making his way to my first set, almost an hour after I had started calling. Must have took some internal discussion to get up outta bed to come take a look see. Very Happy
tcknight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

I moved on to my next set. It was a confluence of two small streams meeting in the middle of a small pasture. The streams only had a few feet of timber on each side and a larger pasture out in front. A small wooded mountain lay across from me toward the south, about 350 yards and this is were I expected the coyotes to be laying around waiting on feeding time. I set my decoy and call out on a low mound of low brush and grass and backed off 50 yards to a small grove of trees. I couldn't find a good place to set. Everything I tried left me with many blind spots. I finally ended up very low on the bottom side of the grove where I could see all the pasture in front of me, the call to my left and the wind in my face.

I started the call and almost IMMEDIATELY a very large coyote came trotting off the hillside toward the call. I put my cross hairs on him and followed him in. 300 yards....250.....200... and then he turned right and got one of the creeks between me and him. He stopped to survey the situation but I had a bush between us and couldn't shoot. He started trotting along into the wind past the call and about 150 yards out. Everytime he crossed an opening and I started to bark to stop him, he would get behind another tree.

Last edited by tcknight on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
tcknight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

So, he continued to go upwind and as I followed with my scope he disappeared from view. I looked around my scope and to my horror, discovered everything in that direction was hidden from me by the mound that my call was sitting on. I had to stand and couldn't see him. I looked for him for a while longer and can only guess he continued a circular route until he got downwind of me and left town. Mad

So, two days, three coyotes. Coyotes 3 Tcknight 0

There's always tomorrow. Cool

BTW. The farmer on whose farm I was hunting, killed two coyotes this morning shooting off his front porch. wtf
chambered221

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

wtf That's one way to increase your post count !!! Now ya just gotta figure out them their yotes a little better !!! Shocked

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
tcknight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
:wtf: That's one way to increase your post count !!!

I find when you get to the bottom of the post form it starts a very annoying blinking and jumping around. Thumbs Down So, instead of putting up with that, I just submit that one and open another, until I am finished with my long-winded diatribe Blah which could have been reduced to

"Missed one yesterday; saw two today; didn't get a shot." Laughing
chambered221

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

I use my word processor then copy/paste with the longer post !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
wiersy111

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:

You know how to do that????????? Poke

That a pretty good idea.

tc when you get done with them yotes there's a bunch up here for ya.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

Chambered, me too! And it sure improves my spelling!

"I ain't no better than anyone else, and there ain't no one better than me!" Ma Kettle

chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

I do prefer it over our resident grammar professional........whose been MIA for awhile now!!!

~George Washington
tcknight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

wiersy111 wrote:
chambered221 wrote:

You know how to do that????????? Poke

That a pretty good idea.

tc when you get done with them yotes there's a bunch up here for ya.

May have to take you up on that....I'm training these here really well! Shocked

Won't be long until they just laugh when my truck pulls up.
wiersy111

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

The big problem is watching out so ya don't happen to get a nice pretty Timber Wolf with one of them nice tracking beacons. They seem to frown upon shooting them.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
tcknight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
I do prefer it over our resident grammar professional........whose been MIA for awhile now!!!

I'm sorry Chambered. Please restructure your sentence. Here is an example with emphasis on the changes:

I do prefer it over our resident grammar professional; who has been missing in action for a while now!

One exclaimation mark will suffice to show your emotion. Do refrain from inserting acronyms within your text. Please do refrain from inserting running periods instead of using a semicolon properly.

Nananana

Toothless
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Coytes 3 TCKnight 0 Reply with quote

wtf Got two of ya now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parental Advisory

~George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 1 of 5