Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820723
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Time for a change!
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Over the past 10-12 months I've become increasingly burned out programming. I hated my job situation, the projects I've worked on etc etc ... even things outside of work like PointBlank and the website. It started to take a toll on my marrage and family life. My wife has been becomming increasingly concerned about

Starting at the beginning of '07, I had a meeting with my current employeer and discussed the future. They were impressed at the miracle I pulled off on my current project, but were overall unhappy with where the company was heading and they planned to actually grow smaller, taking on smaller projects with smaller teams (which has a side effect of increasing per-person work loads by alot). I make ok money, but still alot less than other programmers in the area, by at least 30%. I did this by choice to help small companies start up... hoping that as they grew larger, it would be made up to those who helped grow it in the end. Sadly this isnt the case. There just wasnt a future where I could see I'd ever reach a retirement state. I decided enough is enough, its time to look elsewhere for work.

I posted my resume online at several prominant sites and started immediately fielding phone calls from placement agencies. I've been ducking out of my "job" to interview at other companies, and had some great opportunities unfold only to have them for one reason or another, terminate at the last minute. This contributed to even more burn out and frustration. I had alot of job offers outside of my state, but I dont want to move for various reasons and neither did my wife.

Reciently a friend my mine, former co-worker told me about a programming opening for a new company backed by the heavy weight Buena Vista Studios (ala Walt Disney Corp). He had just hired on and loved it. I did some investigation and found out that alot of my good friends & former co-workers are all working there and love it.

I went in for an interview and it went extremely well, almost every office they showed me, someone inside recognized me and gave a "cheer", happy to see that I was interviewing. I met with the core engine programmer and he litterally said "Ok this is where I'm supposed to test you on your programming... but nah, I dont see a need, I can tell by your resume you have the skills we need" :-D. I filled out the offical job application forms and waited the 9ish days before they made me an offer. It was a pretty good raise over what I make now plus they have alot of perks not offered elsewhere (pension plan... bonus plan etc etc). I countered asking for a slightly higher amount, they offered midway in between and I agreed.

I'm ready for a change in my life. I'm good at programming, the projects they do at the new company are all fun and interesting. Being surrounded with friends again I hope restores the fun and drive I've been missing lately. I've even begun working on PointBlank v2.0 again! (interactive v1.8a database importing system). My wife is excited and i admit so am I... well except for having to tell my current boss I'm leaving... I'll do that in another hour or two... its going to suck lol!

-DallanC
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Dallan,

I hope the quitting thing works out well and the new job. Smile

Guess this means more hunting time ?? Smile

Dimitri

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Dimitri wrote:
Dallan,

I hope the quitting thing works out well and the new job. Smile

Guess this means more hunting time ?? Smile

Dimitri

Not sure at the moment how its going to shake out for hunting. My current employeer would let me be really flexible with regards to time off... I'd even hunt in the mornings before work. This new job is a much farther commute... but they offer the same amount of time off. Also our seasons are much shorter so its not like we get alot of time to hunt anyway (my deer season is only 7 days long... in some parts of the state its only 5 days long).

-DallanC
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Dallan,

The seasons maybe short but remember you can always go small game hunting. Wink

Dimitri

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Congrats Dallan Very Happy . I hope all go's well with your new job. Very Happy
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
tracker

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Dallan

Congratulations! Every success with the future position.

gelandangan

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Dallan

Good luck with your new employment. You deserve the best.

Again, I have to thank you for providing this fine site to visit and a great program to be used on my most treasured hobby.

Gelan

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
vint2

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Dallan,
ALL THE BEST TO YOU!!!!!!! Smile

madedry
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Good luck with your new job Smile

JD

hunterjoe21

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:

I'm ready for a change in my life. I'm good at programming, the projects they do at the new company are all fun and interesting. Being surrounded with friends again I hope restores the fun and drive I've been missing lately. I've even begun working on PointBlank v2.0 again! (interactive v1.8a database importing system). My wife is excited and i admit so am I... well except for having to tell my current boss I'm leaving... I'll do that in another hour or two... its going to suck lol!

-DallanC

Congrats on you new position, and best wishes to you and the misses. Also a "THANK YOU' for creating "Pointblank" and this site.

fireball 3

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Very Happy Kudos to ya Dallan, hope the new job works for you. It's always a big step when changeing jobs. I wish you all the best man . Dave Party Worship

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

Good luck Dallan,
I'm sure that you will be much happier.
I was a Supervisor for many years at a large company, and the stress was effecting my Wife, and Ben, our Son greatly.
I finally quit, and went to a different company, and couldn't have been happier.
I hope and Pray that the same will be the case for you and your family.

God Bless, and Good Luck,

Eric

NRA Life Member
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
Dallan

Good luck with your new employment. You deserve the best.
Again, I have to thank you for providing this fine site to visit and a great program to be used on my most treasured hobby. Gelan

Gelan, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Dallan, my wife and I wish you all the best in your new found employment. Whether or not it transmits into spending more time with your family is yet to be seen, but most importantly you will be a happy and rejuvenated Dad and Husband which everyone will be happy about.

Once again, Good Luck and well done mate.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
vint2

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

We would hope that the change will work wonders for you and your family, and the hunting will fall in place!! Smile

WileyWapiti

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a change! Reply with quote

The nice thing about working for a larger company is that it offers many more opportunities to find an extra sucker to help drag your elk out!

Good luck with the new job - I did the same thing about 10 years ago, I left a job that I had a passion for early on, but over time I got married, began a family and my priorities changed - it was a tough decision to start another career in a similar field since I was walking away from a comfort zone, but before long everything fell into place and now here I am 10 years later and I couldn't be happier - I hope you find a similar satisfaction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2