Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

LRP- Magnum or Regular?
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

Been reloading for pistols for a while now and I don't use mag primers. None of my recipe data calls for them either. Some say never use H110 w/o a mag primer. I use Remington 2 1/2 primers there w/o issues.

Will be reloading for the 300 WM here soon... glanced at Lyman, Hodgdon etc and no mention of mag primers there either. Even with H1000. Vv/Norma has recipe's for mag primers though.

Seem to recall reading Elmer Keith saying something about regular primers and some inhearent benifits of same. I dunnow, can't remember.

What's your preferance and have you done any experimenting between the two?
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

wtf I load a bunch of centerfire using old 4831-always use mag(cci)primers on magnums and standard cartridges,on h110 and 2400 I always use mag primers on mag pistol rounds.I did find a "quirk" tho...I have always loaded 223 rem with 4895-h or imr and used mag primers with excellent results-then I thought that I would use B.R. primers(cci also)just for the increse in accuracy or so I thought....and they blew my groups all to HELL.I will not use them again! Mad

slimjim

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

TRBLSHTR wrote:
used mag primers with excellent results-then I thought that I would use B.R. primers(cci also)just for the increse in accuracy or so I thought....and they blew my groups all to HELL. I will not use them again!

Change on variable in the recipe and the end result can and usually will change. If you adjust the powder charge, you most likely would find a different sweet spot with the BR Primers.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

I got some CCI reg and Rem LR mag primers. Might do a quick 3 round START load comparo for cleanliness and grouping w/ ol' El Kabong here shortly.

I think the thing I read about reg primers was a fine point about slower ingition causing a different primary pulse resulting in more complete burn in some instances (no load or component info...just the "theory" seems to come to mind).
Pitt55

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

I did some testing with my browing 300 mag. I used CCI200 and 250 with a medium load. Same load with both primers. Wasn't much difference in grouping, maybe a little more accurate with the 200's. Velocity gain was about 50fps with the 250's. Also tested CCI against Winchester primers and found the Win. was hotter than CCI

stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

Interesting results!

Any unburnt kernals or was she clean running and what was the recipe?

I've read mag primers can make a diff in extreme cold with heaps of slow powder. Also read CCI's were the 'coldest' and Federal was the "warmest".
wiersy111

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

I use mag primers in all my large rifles. Never had any problems at all. I can't say any accuracy changes were a result of primers or shooter. I haven't changed recipes in years.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

You use mag primers cuz every shiny boomer you have launches them house sized slugs you recoil junky... Razz
chambered221

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

Some powders are harder than others to ignite !!! Cold weather will definitely play a role.
I consider cartridges like the 300WM the middle ground that can use either mag or non-mag primers.
I suggest testing what suits you in the conditions you'll be shooting under and make use of a chronograph while doing so.
Keep in mind that the accuracy node may come at different velocity points. Simply adjusting the velocity doesn't always work due to the initial shock difference between a stronger or weaker primer.
Federal 215's are the go to primers for cold weather and the big boys !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
wiersy111

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

stovepipe wrote:
You use mag primers cuz every shiny boomer you have launches them house sized slugs you recoil junky... Razz

So what's wrong with my Volkswagon launchers???? Very Happy

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

Copy that 221! I'm all over it.

Oh Mr. 111, nuttin' at all wrong with them heavy's yer chunkin'. Wish we could share a couple spots at a range some time and rattle the winders in the outhouse with the big boomers. Shocked

Wait - that didn't sound right! Laughing
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

stovepipe wrote:
Been reloading for pistols for a while now and I don't use mag primers. None of my recipe data calls for them either. Some say never use H110 w/o a mag primer. I use Remington 2 1/2 primers there w/o issues.

Will be reloading for the 300 WM here soon... glanced at Lyman, Hodgdon etc and no mention of mag primers there either. Even with H1000. Vv/Norma has recipe's for mag primers though.

Seem to recall reading Elmer Keith saying something about regular primers and some inhearent benifits of same. I dunnow, can't remember.

What's your preferance and have you done any experimenting between the two?

I use magnum primers in my 300 mags.

That said, I don't necessarily use magnum primers with H110/Win. 296 or other ball powders. At times there is, however, an accuracy advantage in using magnum primers in even the smaller sized cartridges. One example would by my 357 Herrett which has a definite liking for IMR 4227 loads with CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers. Also, there was an article on 308 Win. accuracy in Handloader magazine awhile back. The best accuracy using Varget loads was with CCI 250 primers.

By the way, residual material in the bore is related to cartridge pressure rather than to the primer used. If there is a lot of residua in the bore, increase the load and it will go away. Of course there are certain low pressure loads such as for handguns and antique firearms for which the pressure should not be increased; for those you just have to live with powder residue in the bore.
Aloysius

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

So main conclusion: primers are also subject for testing. In the past I didn't pay much attention on them, till you first try them out and see the big differences. At least there is 1 big advantage on LR: you don't have to worry about LR and LP so much as with SR and SP primers. One can even find in reloading manuals SR primers used for a .357 RM or SP for a .22 Hornet.
So: reloaders need a very long life to get everything tested Smile

And I will sooner use a non-magnum primer in the .375 H&H than in the .300 Mags. The .300 WM's and even the 7 mm Mauser get LRM and slow burning powders, which seems to be a good combination.
SingleShotLover

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

The only magnum cartridges I load are pistol. If using 2400, I use standard primers (Alliant clearly states that standard primers should be used with 2400 regardless of the cartridge) and magnum primers when using either WW296 or H-110 (which as most know are actually the same powder anyway...just packaged differently). It mostly has to do with the coatings used in the powders making the last two a little harder to ignite, especially in cold conditions. I have also found that standard primers work a little better for me in cast bullet loads.

The biggest problem with a closed mind is that it never seems to come with a closed mouth.

SSL
stovepipe

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: LRP- Magnum or Regular? Reply with quote

Grumulkin wrote:

By the way, residual material in the bore is related to cartridge pressure rather than to the primer used. If there is a lot of residua in the bore, increase the load and it will go away.

Good point. I misresponded to Pitt55 in asking about the cleanliness of the "medium load" he had as it looked like I asked if the primer made a diff. I've done just exactly that in some loads, increased same in very small increments to clean it up. As we know, some powders don't like reducing as much as others. I like reduced loads for target shooting in the medium speed powders. I don't go below START loads on the slow powders.

Aloy is right! Experimenting takes time, but it is fun when you land on something that works. Esp a reduced load that saves powder and wear on your firearm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 4