Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Deer Hunting in PA
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rem35
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Been hunting the woods of PA since 1974. Had a lot of good years, but it all seemed to change about 5 years ago. I think it was a combination of a hard winter and the policy of allowing does to be killed during the 2 week season. First started hunting in Snow Shoe PA and later Dubois, PA. Both areas now are not your ideal spots! Any thoughts?
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Welcome to the worst kept secret on the internet rem35. Grab a beer, pull up a stump and sit awhile.

I know that there will be someone here that can help you out. They will be along shortly.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Doublejs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

rem35,
I've been deer hunting in PA since 1978. I can honestly say that I haven't noticed the same things as you. I have hunted o/s of Washington, PA and the past ten years o/s of Claysville, PA & Washington. I thought the 4 point on one side restrictions was going to mess things up, but I have seen larger racks since this was started. I haven't killed a buck every year since the restriction as I did prior to it. I always get a doe tag and if I don't get the buck by the last day, just kill a doe. I also started bow hunting about ten years ago, which changes everything because when you are out there the deer aren't running around like in rifle season.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear...

The biggest thing this last year was that "mite" that was killing off a lot of the deer. Hopefully these next couple weeks the temps will stay below freezing and kill them off.
rem35
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Well, I must say I did see a lot more deer (buck especially) during the rut, when I bow hunted. I stopped bow hunting about 5years ago because of an infection caused by meningitus. (It affected my balance)...which made it a challenge using my loggy climbing a tree. Now that I am feeling better I'd like to get back into it, but I have 3 older kids who are all in sports which really ties me up. One thing about bow hunting, you have to practice to stay sharp. If I don't feel confident shooting a bow, I refuse to "wound" a deer with a bad shot.

I think there are still real good deer populations but mostly in private or leased land. That's been my theory. I live in Chester County, PA which is loaded with deer, but you certainly need to "know" someone to find a hunting spot. ...Lot of Peta-like people around here you know.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

rem35. As Vince said. Welcome to this fine site. DO pull up a stump and grab a beer and join in...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
Brush
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

I live in NY just north of Bradford Pa. and have been hunting Pa for 37 years except for this past season. I like the horn law but they are giving out too many doe permits. I don't see many deer in either state in this area. Plenty of coyote tracks though. Years ago when you put on drives you could see 30 or 40 deer on a drive and when you killed one it was fat and healthy. They are still fat and healthy but if you see a doe and two fawns thats your herd not 30 or 40 like now. Populations have got to change before I am laying out the money for a non resident permit again. I can see nothing in NY for a lot less. Sad
stiffknees
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

rem35, started deer hunying in Pa. in 1959. First in McKean county then Potter now Bradford. Yes the deer are not there like they used to be. But the bucks are bigger if you can find one. The game commision is considering some new regs that may help to bring the herd back some in the big woods.
keep the faith,
Bob
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Where are our manors...?? Both Brush and stiffknees...Welcome to this fine site. Sorry about the delay in recognizing your joining our little group (really not so little anymore). Please pull up a stump or log. Grab a beer and join in...Oh...You already have...Well good... Very Happy

nemesis
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Hey rem35, new guy to this site, not to vocal mostly just like to read the posts. Seems like a good place, guys aren't too closed minded.
Anyway, been hunting Pa. since about 1965 or so, deer and elk mainly in Elk county and SE Pa,, small game mainly around Chester and Berks cntys.
I think the antler rules are good GIVEN TIME. Look at the deer harvest reports, every year they get a bit bigger. Ive been Pa.Game News subscriber for decades, they're pretty good about the facts. Not emotion. Don't forget thats why they call it hunting! Not saying ur not!
Everywhere I hunt deer sign is great, rubs, scrapes, droppings etc. I have my share of bucks, both gun and archery, seems the bucks are getting smarter every year, can't explain it.
Hell I bow hunt along the I-176 in Delaware county, huge bucks. You won't believe where they go. Tough to se them though, but they are there!
My 2 .01!
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Welcome to this site Nemesis...That's right. Join right in...Ya gotta be sittin' on a stump and holdin' a beer when you do though...You say you've been lurking? Glad you changed your mind and spoke up...Open minded? We try...Sometimes though... Very Happy

Doublejs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Nemesis,
Just curious you stated "deer and elk mainly..." does this mean you have had the chance to draw an elk tag? and if so more than once?
I haven't tried for the elk yet in PA. I'm going out west for that this year.
I think it would be awesome to hunt elk in PA though!
nemesis
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Thanks Bushy, I'll try to lurk less.
Glad to see your an 06 guy, same here, just seems my dad was right, ever since he came back from WW2, he couldn't do anything that it couldn't, if u know what I mean. But u guys seem like a good bunch.
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Why thankyou. You will note that we have people from all over the world on the site. Thanks to Mr. Dallan's friendly skill and patiance...

I get greater pleasure from my ol' .30 WCF mod 94, but do like that Browning .30-06...

nemesis
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Hey doublej,
We have a 300 acre farm not far from St. Marys, the elk herd is getting big, 2 elk so far, guess what, I'll stick to deer, I butcher my own, deer are plenty for me. Had help from a nieghbor that was in the game commision
b4 he retired. But your right tough to get a tag.
Doublejs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting in PA Reply with quote

Cool nemesis!
Isn't St Marys the home of Straub beer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 2