Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824200
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Driving distance to your range.
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc223

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

I live about a mile from my local private range. There is Trap, Skeet, a covered shooting are with a 100yd rifle range and a covered shooting area on a 15yd pistol range.
The second Range has in addition to trap and skeet a straight flat 200yd range.
I have membership in two of three ranges within 25 miles of my home. The third is a Public for donations range. All three provide sand bags and targets, and the public range has spotting scopes that the rent for $2 a session. But only when the old girl decides to show up.
Handloader

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

In Phoenix I drive 22 miles to the world famous Ben Avery range or 41 miles to the Rio Salado range at Usery Pass, between Mesa and Apache Juction. With the heat of summer upon us, more trips will take me to Prescott's Sportsman's Range, about 114 miles, but, much cooler.

As such, all trips usually entail trying to do too much with too many firearms. Still, I plan multiple hour sessions when I go, which is about every two weeks or so.
Daveyboy

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

Where I live in England, it's about a 2 hour drive to Bisley which has got virtually every range under the sun or 4 hours to the range at Minsterley. At Minsterley there is a 100m range, 50m with moving targets, stuff for shotguns and he was talking about sorting a 5 mile range for 50bmg.

Nothing local but there are some clay shooting grounds.

Had to get rid of my 22-250 because there was nowhere to shoot it!

D

shootist

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

I'm about 12 miles from a State owned public range with shooting tables.

SHOOTIST
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

I have two ranges I can visit.

One is about 40 km away and is a large range complex. It has two 900 yard Rifle Ranges, one 500 yard Rifle Range, a 300 yard Falling Plate range, a number of indoor air rifle ranges, a .22 Olympic Smallbore Complex (about 10 under cover ranges to 50m) a couple of 25m Zeroing Ranges and three pistol Clubs with about 15 under cover 50m ranges between them. Separate to these ranges, but still part of the complex is a Shotgun Club with 3 Down the Line Trap ranges, 2 ISSF Skeet ranges, and 2 ISSF Trap Ranges. Next Door to that is a SSAA Range with a 600 metre Rifle Range (under cover firing point), and a 50m Pistol Range and 200m IHMSA Pistol Range (all under cover firing points). It also has a number of shotgun ranges for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays.

The other range (the one I belong to) is about 55 km away and is a more basic range. It has a 600m Rifle Range, a 400m Rifle Range (under cover firing points) and a 50m Pistol Range (under cover firing points) and several shotgun ranges mainly for Sporting Clays.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Daveyboy

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

Vince

They bloody ruin you in Australia. Those of us in Pomgolia have to make do with ranges that are restricted and people complaining abou the noise all the time.

You'll be telling me that they have a club house and a bar next!

D

moose2

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

13 miles to the range I go to. Has concrete benches and target postions to 300 yards. Actualy a fairly nice range for being in the middle of nowheres. Most of the use at the range is just prior to big game season.
Usually have the range to myself. Always bring my lab along so he can keep me company and he stays sharp by sniffing out the flocks of sharptails and huns which inhabit the range. Range is generally closed for two weeks in summer while the cows are let in to perform grass control.--tr

rrogacki

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

4 miles to a private facility with a 25 yard pistol range and 50, 100 and 200 yard rifle ranges. Trap and skeet are also offered. There is a public range about 15 miles away that I prefer for a number of reasons. The first being that the private range won't let my son shoot there until he is 13. Sad The second reason being that the once a year shooters with the $2000 rifles who pose a danger to everyone else on the firing line don't go there. It has a 15 yard pistol range and 50, 100 and 150 yard rifle ranges and a group of regulars that are like family. Very Happy

popgun

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

It is about a 140 mile round trip to the range that I have a membership in.
www.mggoa.com/

View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

I belong to a gun club that is 7 miles away. It has 25, 50, 100 and 200 yard shooting ranges, 8 electric traps, an international trap range. archery course in the woods and pistol ranges. The club has 4,000 members and owns 200 acres of land. We pay $15.00 a year in dues. All the best...
Gil

1895ss

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

One shooting range I go to is about 4 miles away and the other club I belong to is 30 miles away. The one that is 30 miles away has the best targets. It is set up in the river hills and there are steel targets all the way out to 900 yards. It's a great place and the scenery is very nice as well.

roklok

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

I have it rough,I have to drive 3 miles to my dads farm.When I still lived there I could set targets out to 300 yards and shoot right out my second floor bedroom window,of course I usually warned my parents so the crack of a high powered rifle above them wouldnt startle them.Quite thoughtfull,wasnt I?:)My pistol range was right off the front porch.Now I have a 50 yard pistol-muzzleloader range with backstop set up by the barn and can shoot out to 500 yards in the hayfield shooting into a steep bank.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

Daveyboy wrote:
Vince

They bloody ruin you in Australia. Those of us in Pomgolia have to make do with ranges that are restricted and people complaining abou the noise all the time.

You'll be telling me that they have a club house and a bar next!

D

Ok Daveyboy.....I won't tell you that there are probably a dozen or more club houses, each with a alcoholic service facility of some sort.....for use after shooting of course. HEE HEE HA HA HEE HEE Laughing Laughing Laughing

Noise is a problem though. Any new ranges put into the complex MUST comply with noise pollution laws. The range I belong to is way to buggery out in the sticks....noise isn't a problem...yet. There was one guy who did complain about noise when he bought a house close to the range (the realtor told him lies) and he was told if he wanted the range that was closest to him (a 25m Zeroing Range) moved he would have to pay! He spent about $50,000 to have it moved.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
PaulS

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

I have it pretty easy I guess. 1 private range for members only two miles away and three more within twelve miles. I have another range that is abot twenty miles. All of them are nice ranges, covered shooting positions and ranges from 25 yards to 300 yards. Three of the ranges I like shooting at because I can set my chronographs without any drama. One I have to set it all up a month inadvance and go through a hearing in front of the board to get authorization to set the chronograph fifteen feet infront of the bench. Sometimes the only time I can do it is before or after the range opens. Not the best times to use a chronograph. That is the reason I made my own light sources for the screens but they burn up the batteries. I only use them when I have to.

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
longwalker

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Driving distance to your range. Reply with quote

12 miles. There we have 100 yard rifle range. Soon to be equipped with concret benches. On the south side we have a well equipped pistol shooting area with falling plates, steel and paper targets. IPSC style shooting at least once a month in the summer months.

Then there are the trap ranges. I think 10 houses they shoot Tuesdays and Thursday.

$25.00 dollar membership and either 3.00 a trip, $50.00 for a one year pass. A very nice facility open to the public.

longwalker
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2