Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

410 reloading
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
219Zipper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Its good to see that I am not the only one that wants to reload 410! I wanted to mention to all of you that I am looking for a GOOD progressive to reload 410 and 20 and any and all of the components that go with it.

I am just getting set up here for pistol and rifle reloading and am eager to get full on into shotgun too. I want some deadly crow loads so I can do my part to rid the world of some of em. Smile

I looked at a nice Ponsness Warren this weekend but he wanted $650 and while it was mint and like new, I also knew he had probably owned it 35+ yrs and loaded 25k shells with it...so I felt he was being a wee bit greedy and passed on it. Nice guy, nice progressive but too rich for my blood!
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

keep looking something will turn up. you can buy new lee shot shell loaders for less than that!!!

lesterg3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Used to load 12 ga, long long time ago.

And will most likely start loading .410 and 12 ga again. First set-up I had was some kind of Lee, bought used for about 25 bucks. Worked great. Will go with Lee again when I start.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
219Zipper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Elvis, I spent quite a bit of time on the S Island both enroute to and from the Ice.

Loved camping back in the Southern Alps and taking a brisk swim in the ol Waimak first thing in the morning while the coffee was perking, not sure which woke me up more. Smile
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Yip its a nice place to live alright especially on a day like today weve had 2"of rain now the sun is out, sheer bliss.

Ominivision1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

219Zipper:

Check E-bay, I've seen a few Mec 410 shotshell re-loaders go for $60.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Ominivision1 wrote:
219Zipper:

Yep...I agree OV1. I am watching Fleabay for the same reason, although I'm looking for a reasonably priced 12g progressive.

Here are a couple on Ebay at what I would consider to be a brilliant price, and it is not expensive to convert them to .410...all of the MEC bits are available, and you will have a 12g press as well.

www.ebay.com.au/itm/12...43aae0cccb

www.ebay.com.au/itm/ME...519bb79654

In my mind, the MEC is the press of choice, although Hornady also make a quality product. If you want a progressive, then I would opt for the MEC. You can also add the optional hydraulic mecahnism to the MEC.

Lester mentioned the LEE press...I have a LEE LoadAll that I use for 12g and it is a great little entry level press, but it is single stage and take a bit of time to load 100 rounds.

The Ponsness Warren was one of the best, top of the line, presses in its day, but the are a little outdated now, and I believe it can be difficult to get parts when they wear out. They are also fairly sizeable and are really designed for loading large quantities of cartridges at a time.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
219Zipper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Omni / Vince:

Thanks for the suggestions, cant beat a price of $65 for a reloader in this day and age!

With the fresh snow falling last night, it renewed my interest in reloading so that I have things to keep me busy during the long winter nights here in Minnesota. I will pay close attn to the auctions to see if there are any really great deals to be had.
RePete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Here's the Caddy of reloaders, the Spolar.

www.spolargold.com/prices.htm

PW are great too.

The MEC has a problem loading the .410.

I used to reload .410 but gave up as it was a PITA.

Stercus Accidit = Sh*t Happens in Latin.

Nice try = You Suck spelled different.

My parents spanked me as a child. As a result, I now suffer from a psychological condition known as RESPECT FOR OTHERS.
219Zipper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Amazing looking unit! I haven't even heard of em.

I can tell right off the bat that they will be out of my price range. lol
RePete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

May I suggest that you forget the .410 and consider a 20ga.

Ammo is cheaper, and if you decide to reload that, then get a MEC 600JR. Components (wads) are easier to find and you can't say that for .410.

Stercus Accidit = Sh*t Happens in Latin.

Nice try = You Suck spelled different.

My parents spanked me as a child. As a result, I now suffer from a psychological condition known as RESPECT FOR OTHERS.
TRBLSHTR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Very Happy This might help somebody;fourten stuff

inthedark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Ominivision1 wrote:
219Zipper:

Yep...I agree OV1. I am watching Fleabay for the same reason, although I'm looking for a reasonably priced 12g progressive.

Here are a couple on Ebay at what I would consider to be a brilliant price, and it is not expensive to convert them to .410...all of the MEC bits are available, and you will have a 12g press as well.

www.ebay.com.au/itm/12...43aae0cccb

www.ebay.com.au/itm/ME...519bb79654

In my mind, the MEC is the press of choice, although Hornady also make a quality product. If you want a progressive, then I would opt for the MEC. You can also add the optional hydraulic mecahnism to the MEC.

Lester mentioned the LEE press...I have a LEE LoadAll that I use for 12g and it is a great little entry level press, but it is single stage and take a bit of time to load 100 rounds.

The Ponsness Warren was one of the best, top of the line, presses in its day, but the are a little outdated now, and I believe it can be difficult to get parts when they wear out. They are also fairly sizeable and are really designed for loading large quantities of cartridges at a time.

Cheers, Vince

My buddy has a P-W press 6 station metallic I believe and without a doubt, it is the sweetest progressive that I have ever used. The problem with the press isn't with the press itself but with the owners who attach a motor to it and automate the process and it almost always puts stresses on the press that it was not designed for. And as very few if any of these guys are/were actually engineers who had two brain cells to rub together you really have to be careful with buying a used one. If I could talk my buddie into selling me his I would buy it in a minute. He said that he got it brand new in 70 71 and paid 425$ for it. It is truly a beautiful piece of equipment. I just went on their website www.reloaders.com/inde...ucts_id=56 and the Metallic II goes for 479$ Now that is not a great change in 40years is it.
Chimo
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

RePete wrote:
May I suggest that you forget the .410 and consider a 20ga.

Ammo is cheaper, and if you decide to reload that, then get a MEC 600JR. Components (wads) are easier to find and you can't say that for .410.
claybuster wads are readily available on the net we get them through trade me. I wont have a .20ga in the house with a .12ga aswell, the ramifications of an ammo mix up send chills down my spine. the rest of the components are easy as to get.

Aloysius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: 410 reloading Reply with quote

Elvis, you're strange. I myself often take several guns to the dove-hunting, several calibers, even doubles with 1 or 2 triggers. When all goes too well, you take a more difficult gun. When doves are only passing high, you end up using a cal 12 trapgun.
And alltough I have cal 12, 16 and 20 (and sometimes even 24 and/or .410/36), in my pockets...
it's more dangerous in my opinion to mix 3" and 2 3/4" shells in cal 12 as here most cal 12 guns are no 3" (or more. This "magnum-disease" still didn't hit our part of the world)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 2