Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824074
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Video your hunt?
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonita
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

I belong to a group of individuals who go to the extreme in the pursuit of coyotes. This group is called Coyote Inc. and we all love this sport. On our hunts we take along digital camera's. Although it is very hard to get footage of the hunt as it unfolds, and the video is not really great quality, we do have some great video of the aftermath. We even tell how things unfolded, distance of the shot and call used, whatever. At the end of the season, we edit it all down and make a DVD for all the members of the club. I was just wondering if any of the rest of you guys ever video'ed your hunts?

tracker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

Personally, that would require an extra person (happens occassionally, but rarely) and extra gear, so it probably won't happen.

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

My Nephews tried to get our Goose Hunts on video for a while.
My Niece was kind enough to get up before light one day, and we had mixed results.
I'm not much into it.
My past hunts are relived through telling stories, and wild game feeds at the dinner table.
I have about 75# of memories thawing out upstairs right now, to grind up for Venison burger this week.
I give you people lots of credit for taking videos, but I have enough to think about just getting my hunting stuff ready, and shooting my game to worry about one more thing.

Maybe you are computer literate enough to let us guys see some of your videos.
I LOVE watching them. Very Happy

Good luck and have a safe and successful hunting season this year bonita.

Eric

NRA Life Member
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

First off lemme say , if ya wanna that's fine .. For You ..

Me , I have a problem with it .. I suppose it's because of one or two people whose names you may recognize and you may not .. They do some pretty unethical stuff to get good footage ..

And it dont set right with me ..

I , even before these people came along , was always of the mindset of "Am I here to hunt or make a movie " ??

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

I kind of disagree with you on that one Jack.
A lot of the young folks, my 17yr old Son for one, have been raised with the Outdoor Channel.
They, just like bonita, want to video their hunts. I say good for them. It sure isn't yours or my cup of tea, but if they have fun doing it, I see nothing wrong.
Hopefully the schmucks who video canned hunts like jimmy huston, will go away some day.

If I had videoed all of my hunts, I wouldn't have room in my house for anything but the tapes.
I do have boxes of 35mm pictures of most of my hunts to refresh my memory from time to time.

Let the young guys have their fun, and us older guys can sit back and laugh at them as they fiddle around with the camera, while the game goes by them. Very Happy

Eric

NRA Life Member
bonita
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

I can relate to some of the things Jack is speaking of here. Rest assured that I do not and would not approve of any canned hunting. None of the films sent to me have been of that sort of hunt. Coyote Inc. is a group of people who love to hunt predators, using mouth and electronic calls. As I have said in the opening comments, it is very hard to film a hunt in progress, and its impossible while out alone, therefore, most of the video's are of the animal and hunter, after the shot. Most are just narrations of what took place. This is just a way for club members (and freinds) to share the stories of the hunt, then preserve that for old age. A lot of people including yourselves take a picture of that trophy animal. We are simply adding motion and sound to that, and we consider any animal taken, a trophy. Today, you can buy a camera that will fit in your pocket that can take over 10 minutes of video. Granted that you will need some programming to download and render video to your computer. I am surprised more people aren't doing this.

Dawgdad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

My nephew and a good friend of his video their bow and muzzy loader hunts and have offered to come along and video my coyote hunts and some waterfowl hunting too. They take turns hunting and videoing. They have a real nice production quality camera and get some good footage. They actually have sold some of their hunts to a production company in Iowa. I think I will take them up on the offer this year. Randy Anderson look out!

SavageDeath
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

Bonita,
I think it is a great way to try to remember your hunts, like you said we all take pictures of our hunts and hunting partners, why not with digital video? When I get old and after years of sniffing gun power, I know my mind and memories will fade. At least the video will tell me who I was hunting with, and what I used to call that trip. Now days there is no reason (except money) to go and buy a full production camera, the modern market is full of high quality digital video camera's that are less expensive than what some people spend for ammo for one hunting trip. I think it is a great idea, I need a mount for my camera right on the gun. I hunt alone so I can only get after video, I can never get footage of the yote coming in.
Bonita, I have known you for many years and hunted beside you in the Northern Sonoran Desert. Though we have not hunted together for several years, I know you hunt better than you did when we hunted together. You always follow the hunting regulations, and are a true predator hunter to the core. I almost find it as disrecpectful towards you, that some one would consider your footage as a "Canned Hunt".
Just shows you that not everyone knows everything
If they don't want to see your video footage, it is their loss.
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

Well you can be assured I'm not saying that you are doing a canned hunt ..
As I say if ya want to thats fine .. All the more if you're being legal with the setups ..
I enjoy watching the videos as much as the next guy .. But like Eric , well we jus grew up in a different time ..

There are quite a few well known people doing canned shoots to sell videos and making quite a bit of money at it .. Thats MY big craw in the gullet ..

But like Eric , I have enuff trouble without anything extra ..

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

I should have videoed myself grinding 75# of venison for burgers just now. With the added pork, I packaged around 100# of burger meat. We will have venison burgers tonight, and a big venison meat loaf tomorrow.
The meat should last my family till around Christmas.
THAT would have been a boring video. Very Happy

Eric

NRA Life Member
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

HHMM Minneysoda aint too far for a venison burger Very Happy

ElyBoy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

Anytime Jack.
The coffee is always on, and venison is always read to be cooked.
I mix in Cajun Seasoning with the burger, then cook it in my cast iron fry pan.
This way, it is a little more juicy than putting venison on the grill.

Eric

NRA Life Member
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

Coffee on and cookin with cast iron , not bad fer a yankee .. We''ll learn ya yet

A17Shooter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

You all are makin' me hungry. Venison burgers, coffee, etc.

Just a comment on the video. recently got a new cell phone. It incorporates a still camera and video capabilities. It provides a basic capability and does clear pictures. The still pics in my most recent post were taken with it. Small, lightweight and I'm gonna take it along anyway. Works better if you get one of the 2 GB micro SD memory modules for it.

Just a fuzzy thought.

skb2706

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Video your hunt? Reply with quote

I have friends that come out to shoot prairie dogs with me and they do the video thing. Its not for me but they like it.
I am sure its far easier than doing an actual hunt because for the most part they are basically stationary. They add in sound effects and lots of chatter...like I said its not for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 1 of 2