Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824013
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Deer Checking
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Deer Checking Reply with quote

Howdy The state of Md has changed there big game checking requirements. Last year you physically took your deer to a checking station where it was weighed and you recieved a tag for the butcher and or taxidermist. This year you either call or go online and receive a confirmation number, it's kind of a pain but a lot easier than before and i'm wondering if it's" to easy!! hear's my thought. In MD you can shoot a buck then two does and get a second buck tag then eight more does this can be done in archery then in muzzleloader and again in firearms for a total of six bucks and thirty does my thing is a guy can shoot a buck check it and just say he got two does and then go get the second tag and shoot another buck without taking the two does and by doing this ignoring the game managements attempt at balanceing the deer population. I was curious of opinions on this, i think it makes it to easy to go around the rules. What do you guys think.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Checking Reply with quote

We have no requirements to check any big game animals other than I thnk, cougar and bear in my state. They do set up some game checking stations in places to record harvest information and check for CWD and request successful hunters stop but there is no legal requirement to do so. I can see the need for it back east where you have to harvest x number of does to get your 2nd buck tag.

-DallanC
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Checking Reply with quote

I think Mi. has a check in the Bovine TB areas? But other than that, it's mostly been volunteer.

BLASERMAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Checking Reply with quote

TO ME THIS IS A BIG JOKE IN MD BECAUSE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT GOING TO CHECK IN THE DEER. TOO LAZY , NO ONE TO TRACK THEM, NO COMPUTER, THIS OPENED DAY LIGHT JACK LIGHTING.
HOW ARE THEY TO TRACK FOR THE NEXT YEARS REGULATIONS. I KNOW ONE PERSON HOW DID'NT CHECK HIS DEER FOR SHURE.
popgun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Checking Reply with quote

Here in Georgia there is no check in at all except at some managed hunts. I guess the GA DNR realized that the DNR employees that were checking in deer could be out in the field looking for violators.
We don't even have to submit harvest reports or turn in tags any more. We simply fill in the harvest info on our license. The only source of harvest information for DNR is at the processors who must place a tag on the deer before placing it in the cooler. The tag has minimal info, sex, date, county of kill.
Many will argue that the insurance industry does not have any influence on game regulations and hunting. In this case it seems the DNR gets a good deal of game population statistics from the deer/vehicle accident stats. Rant
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
mikekuzara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Deer Checking Reply with quote

In Wyoming there are check stations in some areas. There are game and fish biologists at all of the processors to take lymph node samples for CWD testing.

We fill out hunter survey cards each year. However, since you have to buy a seperate license for each animal, it is pretty easy to make sure the right license is being used. If you get caught with the wrong license for the type of deer that you have or the area you are in, you can lose not only your hunting privledges, but your gun, the vehicle you are in, and any other equipment you used in the hunt.

Just not worth the risk for most people.

Set a man on fire and he is warm the rest of his life.
longwalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Deer Checking Reply with quote

In South Dakota there is no "deer Check" station. That is not to say you can't be stopped by GF&P's but you don't have to take it in. One had best have all the tags in place. Improper transportation practices are not tolerated well. We do have a post kill procedure wherein we must remover the front lower incisers and send them into the State. I believe we get a good response to this, in addition, there is a post hunt survey that is randomly sent out to hunters, these too get a good return response.

I'm sure there is are a defined group of hunters that will take advantage of this. Unfortunately they are the same guys that broke the law before and will continue untill stopped.

longwalker
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1