A good early muzzleloader season
-> Primitive Weapons Hunting

#1: A good early muzzleloader season Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:41 am
    ----
Howdy. MD gives us a 3 day early muzzleloader season. The early season started Thurs. Thurs eve i got a nice doe and on sat morn i got a eight point Very Happy . I didn't get any pics of the doe but took some of the buck. Sorry the pics didn't come out to good it was rainin and overcast i shoulda set my camera for nite pics maybe they woulda came out better any how here's a pic of my buck.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

#2: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:59 am
    ----
Congratulations Joe,
Not so lucky myself. A coyote messed up my chances for a great doe, TWICE!!!! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Both times the coyote came in and spooked the doe out of the creek bottom. Shooting So, I fixed the problem and 10X,ed the coyote on the run with the 50 cal. Party

I have seen some small bucks but the big boys don't seem to be running here yet. But I will keep my fingers crossed and get in my stand time waiting for mister mossey horns.

Gun season opened yesterday with a missed shot on one about the size of your buck. I did get 78 point sapling with the shot though. Embarassed I wonderif the sapling qualifies as a non typical in the SSI book? Laughing

Get back in the woods and find a-nuther-un!
Chris

Last edited by popgun on Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:16 pm
    ----
Thanks Chris. The bigins are starting to move around here. The one i got isn't that big but i'm limited to my hunting time this year so i'm not being to picky. The bucks are starting to run scrape lines here it's a little early for it but thats what this fellow was doing. He's not that big, my daughter is tellin me to mount it, i don't realy have the money, but it's my first eight point with the front stuffer, so i think i will. Any how now that ya got that coyote out of the way, you should be good to go Very Happy

#4: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:39 pm
    ----
My first mount was my first deer taken with a rifle, a spike with 4" on one side and 2" on the other. A trophy is determined by the taker and no one else. Mount that rascal.

Sounds like you are hunting the right place because you are putting meat in the freazer. Keep hunting that spot!!!

All I have for the wall so far this year is a piece of paper thum tacked up there saying Coyote/Chris 0/1, Sapling/Chris 0/1, Deer/Chris 2/0. Send me some luck down this way.

#5: Nice picture Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:43 pm
    ----
Well done. I was rained out in our early season. All the best...
Gil

#6: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: RPM1031Location: College Park, Georgia PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:52 pm
    ----
Congrat's! Was supposed to be on the Eastern Shore at my brother's place for the 3 day. They were running through his field about a month ago while we were in his goose pit. Sad Things happen. Sad Good luck with the rest of the season. My brother drew a tag/permit for the bear hunt. Left yesterday to a cabin in Garret County.

#7: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:02 pm
    ----
Nice, I love to see picts of stuff taken with smokepoles. Been 2 years now since I was able to hunt with one Sad

-DallanC

#8: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: SakoL61RLocation: Savannah, GA PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:03 pm
    ----
Congrats Joe!
I got a last hunt in with my smokepole Friday afternoon. 80+ degrees and sweatin' with lots of mosquitos.
Had one come out of the swamp @ 5:00, about 15 yds from the base of the tree I was in. Took him about 5 minutes to slowly work his way through the slickleaf and briars. Saw nothing but the brush moving until he stepped out. It was a small 8 with a busted up rack and I let him walk. He never knew I was there. Sure is fun when they're that close!

Centerfire season opened Saturday. Was still hot and humid with temps in the 80's. Saw nothing all day except mosquitos and a really, really fast moving coyote in the evening--didn't even get the gun up....

This morning's hunt was much better and a whole bunch cooler, thank goodness!. Let another smallish 8 walk and saw 3 does and heard others in the brush. Lots of activity, but had to be outta the stand by 10:00 to get home.

One in the freezer, holding out on a big one for #2. Won't get out again until 12 November.....dang!
Good luck,
Sako

#9: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:23 pm
    ----
Speaking of skeeters....I almost opened fire on a big one that flew by my face! Where you at in Georgia Sako? We are hunting the same weather so you must be close.

#10: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: SakoL61RLocation: Savannah, GA PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:36 pm
    ----
Popgun,
I'm in Savannah, hunting in Screven cty.

Know about them big skeeters..... Saw a biggun the other day--- standing flat-footed behind a full grown gobbler and doin' him wrong! Very Happy

No huntin' this weekend for me, maybe next, definitely 11-15 Nov.
Sako

#11: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: 7mmREMMAGLocation: Georgia PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:31 pm
    ----
Great buck Joe. Got a nice doe opening weekend here in GA myself with my CVA hunterbolt even now durring regular gun season im still hunting with black powder........Happy hunting you all

#12: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: Flint54Location: North Carolina PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:43 am
    ----
Smile Smile Smile Looks like lots of good eating coming up!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile

#13: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: 7mmREMMAGLocation: Georgia PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:05 pm
    ----
Tha jerkey sure is good!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing

#14: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:12 pm
    ----
7mmREMMAG wrote:
Tha jerkey sure is good!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing
It sure is, i'm gonna make a couple of pounds this weekend my daughter will eat a pound in one sittin (lol) and congrats on the doe 7mm keep it up.
Joe

#15: Re: A good early muzzleloader season Author: 7mmREMMAGLocation: Georgia PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:23 pm
    ----
Thanks joe good luck this weekend!!!.......need more jerky meat between the wife and kids i dont get to much

-> Primitive Weapons Hunting