Simmons scopes??
-> General

#1: Simmons scopes?? Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:56 am
    ----
Hi
I saw an add at Midway for a 6.5-20 X 50 MM scope for $100. Has anyone out there had any experience with the Simmons Whitetail line of scopes?? Yes, I know there are better scopes out there and if I had the money I would be looking at them.

Thanks for any input.

#2: Re: Simmons scopes?? Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:16 am
    ----
I don't have that particular model but I do have three Simmons 6.5-20x44's and a couple of 3x9x44's. All have performed well and are a good value for the money. I also have some Leupolds, Burris, Bushnells, Weaver, and Tasco. To date, not one has failed me in the field. Well one, a Bushnell Banner, failed after it suffered a drop on the bell but that was my fault.
Midway and others have had this scope on sale for some time advertised some places as a closeout or discontinued model. Compare prices at SWFA
www.riflescopes.com/
and Midsouth
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
I have purchased scopes at all three places and have had good service from them all.

#3: Re: Simmons scopes?? Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:50 am
    ----
Thanks for the reply, interesting prices. Midsouth seems a little higher than the others. For $100 and a life time warrany it seems hard to beat, unless it spends all its time in the mail going back and forth Very Happy .

#4: Re: Simmons scopes?? Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:44 pm
    ----
When I start shopping for a scope I start looking for the sales at these three sights and a few more like Lock Stock and Barrel, Wideners, and others. All of them have great customer service and quick delivery if what you want is in stock.
I have looked at the same Whitetail scope and at the time the 44 Mags were on sale for less so I went with the 44 Mag's. Otherwise I would have had the Whitetail's on two of my rifles.
Happy surf shopping Very Happy
Chris

#5: Re: Simmons scopes?? Author: LittleMagnumLocation: Vermont PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:02 pm
    ----
I have that 6.5-20x 50mm scope. My scope has the black granite finish.
The finish flattens out when scope rings are mounted, so if you plan on moving the scope around, it will show ring marks. The scope is big, I use mine for a spare target scope, for 100 yard load work. Is it worth $100 ?
yes. How ever If I had to do it over again, I would save up and buy a better scope. Few years back I bought that scope and a 4.5-14x 40mm whitetail, both from Midway. I am not a fan of 50mm scopes, there just too big for me. I will sell you mine for $75.00
or a better deal You pay the shipping and you can try mine out, you like it
you buy, if not send it back in 60 days. Scope as new, except for ring marks.

#6: Re: Simmons scopes?? Author: delboyLocation: London England PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:28 pm
    ----
I've been abusing a Simmons for a couple of years now and it's never shown any faults yet. OK, it's not a Whitetail - but it's family. Little Magnum's offering a good deal there Ken, I'd snatch his hand off if I were in your shoes - what do you lose apart from postage? That's one of the great things about this site - we all help out where we can. Nice one Little Magnum.

#7: Re: Simmons scopes?? Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:13 pm
    ----
Simmons, Weaver and Redfield are part of Meade Optics which has been an outstanding provider for many amateur astronomers. They are revamping many of their rifle scopes with state of the art manufacturing and tolerances. We carry Simmons at our store and the rate of return for warranty continues to drop.

That said, matching the correct model for the recoil level of the rifle is an important part of selecting a scope. ALL scopes fail eventually, given enough recoil cycles. The ability to withstand recoil is part of the price of the scope.

I believe Meade will bring many innovations and improvements to their scope brands and we will be reading about "new and better" models from time to time in the gun rags. For Weaver, Redfield and Simmons, its about time someone cared.

#8: Re: Simmons scopes?? Author: beezer PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:24 am
    ----
I've been useing a Whitetail classic 1.5 - 5 on my rabbit gun for about 6 years. I did have a paralax problem but sent it back on lifetime warranty and got a new scope. I find it very good in low light.

#9: Re: Simmons scopes?? Author: BlaineLocation: Maine PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:17 am
    ----
The Pro Hunter line in a handgun scope is next to worthless. I have T/C 15" barrels in 243 and 308 and had Simmons on both. They each lasted about 2 weeks. They cannot take the recoil from a center fire handgun. In Simmons' defense, they did replace them both in a very quick turnaround. I promptly traded both the new replacements in on a Burris. On the other hand, I have a Simmons Aetec on my Weatherby Vanguard (300 win mag) and I haven't had any problems with it yet. Of course I haven't shot it that much yet, either. I think you get what you pay for (guess my dad was right after all Wink ) I too, am on a limited budget when it comes to "toys" and tried to get away as cheap as I could.......live and learn. I will never skimp on scopes again.

Blaine

#10: Re: Simmons scopes?? Author: grimel PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:44 am
    ----
Ebay - used leupold gold ring scopes cheap. I have 2 fixed power leupold scopes shipping included for combined price of just under $200.

#11: Re: Simmons scopes?? Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:27 pm
    ----
Little Magnum- thanks for the offer, I will PM you.

-> General