Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:04 am
    ----
Well, we had a good run for 9 years... too much overtime at times but its all come to an abrupt end as yesterday they announced Disney is going to cancel our franchise and close the studio. 300 people left out of work. We will still get paid for 60 days as we wind things down and transition out, so that's a plus.

I hate the thought of starting over at a new company but I don't have much choice in the matter. Shouldn't affect the website at all. Kindof depressed about it today, primarily all the friends and co-workers that are about to scatter to the winds.

This industry is fairly turbulent, much like a mythical phoenix. One company dies in a fiery blaze and new studios form from the ashes. Maybe something new will form up. Really loathe the thought of having to move out of state Sad

-DallanC

#2: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:21 am
    ----
Ouch...

According to obami the economy is picking up in leaps and bounds. You should have a new job by monday.

Sorry...I just couldn't help myself.

Know the feeling. Been there. Done that.

#3: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:51 pm
    ----
Like the Pharma business, eat or be eaten... Good luck.

#4: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:18 pm
    ----
Thats sucks!
Is there anyway to pickup similar business elsewhere?

#5: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:53 pm
    ----
I hate it when that happens. Three times I was outplaced during my working career and corporate America does not hesitate to pull the trigger. Hang in there. All the best...
Gil

#6: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:44 pm
    ----
I feel for you Mate...I too have been there and done that. get stuck in now and find something before the other guys get organized and start looking,there will be a few quick off the mark who get whats going.

#7: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:07 pm
    ----
Dallan, sorry to hear that. Yep, the O Administration says the economy is doing great with ample job creation but all I see are layoffs. The major aerospace companies, Boeing, Lockheed, Northrup, are downsizing and laying off with a focus to reduce senior engineers. Keep us posted.

#8: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:04 pm
    ----
Any chance of some of the guys getting together to start a new company?
If you are working for yourself only your customers can lay you off.

#9: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:57 pm
    ----
Gee Dallan, I'm really sorry to hear that mate. The talk in many countries is of 'recovering economies', so hopefully things will go well with you mate. Nothing worse than trying to support a family whilst wondering where the next wages cheque is coming from.

Paul has raised an interesting idea. Only downside I see to that is the setup costs and the massive workload required to establish.

Another option might be to have a look at who is taking over the job you guys did, and consider contracting to them or looking at becoming a consultant for them.

Keep your chin up mate...your skills are much sought after, especially with the experience you have. Something will pop up, often when you least expect it.

#10: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:57 am
    ----
Looks like Disney is spending over 200 million to shut us down, taking it as a loss. Thats not a typo... two hundred million. They are writing off unsold inventory, currently spent development costs, building leases (our new building is 1 year old) and all the severance packages. Good lord what a waste of money.

-DallanC

#11: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 pm
    ----
some one gets paid that money bud.....someone will be smiling all the way to the bank.

#12: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:52 pm
    ----
Disney probably would have been able to sell the company for a net gain but then would have to face the competition.

#13: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:01 am
    ----
Sorry Dallan!!
What the heck do you do for Dizzzyknees anyway? Be glad to help you look for a new job (if I knew what it was).

Suz

#14: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:52 pm
    ----
I was on the Disney Infinity video game franchise as of late.

infinity.disney.com/

-DallanC

#15: Re: Disney shutting down our studio, loosing my Job Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:24 pm
    ----
Oregon is home to a growing number of mobile game studios and has small hubs in Portland, Eugene, and Vancouver. The state has two publishers and 17 development studios, including Night & Day Studios, Soma Games, and Silver Creek Entertainment. Employees make $91,130 per year on average; game developers make $132,529. Oregon saw a real annual growth rate of 1.56% from 2009 through 2012.

ok tht's hype

Zynga
Creative Director
Eugene, OR
Challenge the existing game teams to emphasize excellent user experience, ensuring efficient and effective user flows through our game interfaces....

Sony has 2 openings in Bend, Or.
Senior Staff FX Artist
At least 2 years of experience as an FX Artist in the video game industry. At least 8 years of game art production with credit on several shipped AAA titles....
Senior Character Technical Artist
Some previous or next-gen video game platform experience is desirable (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360). Minimum 5 years’ game art production or film-related experience...

RespondWell in Portland, Or has several openings
Test Engineer, Unity Software Engineer, Device Support Engineer

There are several companies around Or. but I don't know the business and frankly they are so specialized I don't know what the heck I'm doin....but if I can help, I'd love to

Suz

-> General