New (to me) 12g S x S
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#16: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:27 am
    ----
Very nice job there Vince...Can't wait to see it with the barrels finished and fully assembled. I truely do love doubles.

#17: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:13 am
    ----
very tidy my good man..look forward to seeing her all finished with good recoil pad on and blued barrels.

#18: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:23 am
    ----
Vince, a question: why do you do all this work before you even tried to shoot it? When I get a second hand gun, I try to make it a habit to clean it first (and check the function) and then go out shooting.
When the shooting goes allright, it might be so that I love it that much I don't make the time anymore to rework it, but on the other hand I also didn't have to rework it completely just to put it in stock (or sell it or give it away).

#19: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:02 am
    ----
Aloys wrote:
Vince, a question: why do you do all this work before you even tried to shoot it?...

Well mate...way I look at it, I got the shottie for a good price. I enjoy refurbishing things so regardless I have that as a bonus. Once I shoot it, I can make a judgement call on whether to keep it or get rid of it at a fair price. If I choose to keep it because its a good shooter, then I have a nice gun for a very reasonable price. Should I choose to sell it, I would ask a 'fair price' which would take into account my time and work at refurbishing it plus any extras I added such as a recoil pad (it didn't have one when I bought it). The going price for one of these guns averages around double or more that I paid for it so I will easily get enough money back to look at something a little more expensive, and better quality.

Whichever way it goes I will always have the enjoyment of doing the refurbishment.

#20: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:42 pm
    ----
Well, I finally got my side by side finished...although I may revisit the bluing on the barrels down the track.

The system I used is the Blue Wonder Gun Bluing Kit shop.bluewonder.us/gun...luing-kit/ . I'm fairly impressed with the outcome, but only time will tell how robust and long wearing the bluing will be.

#21: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:46 pm
    ----
Absolutely SWEET!!

#22: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:49 pm
    ----
Thanks Bushy, it really has been a labour of love mate. A side by side to me is a 'real' shotgun. and as much as I like my O/U, the s x s will be my 'go to' gun, especially for bunnies.

#23: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:57 pm
    ----
I'm on your side. I wouldn't trade my double for any pump or auto.

#24: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:59 pm
    ----
great stuff Mate,and I hear you Bushy
had great night shooting with the pump on Friday but took old single banger out today and managed pigeon and a parrie,it just felt right to take a break open gun.

#25: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:07 am
    ----
Go do a round of clays with it to remind yourself of the totally different sight picture needed between UO and SxS.
You'll discover some new words until it all clicks Smile

#26: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: TremblayLocation: Malta, Montana PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:27 am
    ----
I'm wishing I hadn't sold my side by side now

#27: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:39 am
    ----
Great work Vince, That's a beauty.

Miss mine, took many grouse with it, can't remember why I sold it kids probably needed something.

#28: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:00 am
    ----
dhc4ever wrote:
Go do a round of clays with it to remind yourself of the totally different sight picture needed between UO and SxS.
You'll discover some new words until it all clicks Smile

Yeah, I know Pete. I've shot a few rounds of Sporting with a mate's Miroku side by side, and you are right mate...it is different to the O/U. But that is the best part of shooting...learning to become one with you gun.

It will be about a month before I shoot this one again...I've been told that the bluing sort of matures if you leave it for a month after bluing...allows it to 'settle' down and toughen up a bit.

#29: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:03 am
    ----
Yeah...Like you've improved with age...

#30: Re: New (to me) 12g S x S Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:18 am
    ----
LOL

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions