· Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUB.
Hunting and discussion with Muzzle Loaders, Archery and other Primitive weapons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUB. Reply with quote

HOWDY. I use triple 7 have used it for quite a while. 100 -110 grains with the 45 cal hornady xtp in a sabot seems to do pretty good one hole groups at 75 yards (when i do my part). Im shooting a traditions pro camo/stainless with a 28 inch fluted barel. Was curious what everybody else is useing.

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Gil Martin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Blackpowder Reply with quote

In my flintlocks I use FFG for the main charge and FFFFG for priming them. All the best...
Gil

Coyote_Hunter_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUB. Reply with quote

Started out with Pyrodex, gave that up when 777 became available. Won't ever go back.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUB. Reply with quote

Started out with Goex Black Powder, went to Pyrodex.

Reciently tried 777 once all the buzz got out about it, and I was extremely disappointed in it. It fouled worse than pyro and accuracy was laughable. After burning up half a can trying various things I put it away, cleaned my rifle yet again and tried my old standard 100grns RS and shot a nice clean cloverleaf. If it works for others I say great! But for me, I'm back to pyrodex.

-DallanC
roundball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUB. Reply with quote

Had pretty good results with Pyrodex RS in a Knight MK-85, then a few sidelock percussions.
When I switched to Flintlocks I went with Goex...found it to be so fast, clean and accurate that I traded/sold off several remaining pounds of Pyrodex and rezeroed my percussions with Goex also...bought it by the case ever since...shoot it year round
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUB. Reply with quote

Do you shoot more with roundballs or conicals? I've found that straight up BP works better with a lubed ball / patch than conicals. I always thought it was Something abuot that lube loosening up the fouling as you load up. Conicals will "scrape" off some of it but not enough.

Fun discussions!

-DallanC
slamfire
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUB. Reply with quote

Seems like I'm stuck with 777 for my .36 it's the only thing I can find in FFFg. My .50 prefers Pyrodox RS.

roundball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUB. Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
Do you shoot more with roundballs or conicals? I've found that straight up BP works better with a lubed ball / patch than conicals. I always thought it was Something abuot that lube loosening up the fouling as you load up. Conicals will "scrape" off some of it but not enough.

Fun discussions!

-DallanC

99.99% patched round balls in several calibers using Goex 3F and oxyoke wonderwads over the powder.

One additional projectile I also like is a 255grn .45cal TC Maxi-Hunter in a TC Hawken 1:48" barrel...they're tack drivers in mine with 90grns Goex 2F and a wonderwad.

I lube them using a TC luber screwed onto the top of a tube of Natural Lube 1000, then slide them into some TC speed loaders, (4-N-1 Quik Shots) so the lube stays put, and the Quik Shots ensure the conicals are aligned straight when loaded into the muzzle.
Flint54

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUB. Reply with quote

I use both, pure BP in my flintlocks and traditional pecussion rifles and Pyrodex & Pyrodex Pellets in my .54 in-line rifles. For my hunting loads I use two 60gr pellets.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: BLACK POWDER OR BLACK POWDER SUB. Reply with quote

Black powder! Black powder only, If you keep your gun clean and well maintained BP wont let you down. Pyrodex has failed to fire for me on a number of occasions and is, as stated by the manufacturer, "Harder to ignite than black powder" We got letters from Hodgdon soon after it came out stateing this(thats why it requires a black powder kick start in a flint lock) and when you throw in the cold damp conditions of December BP season in Michigan? Well.......... misfires.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Primitive Weapons Hunting
Page 1 of 1