Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Some interesting news for you all.
Small Game hunting related discussion
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

A mate of mine is currently conducting a personal study on .22 calibre ballistics.
His study is involving a number of well known firearms such as Ruger 10/22, Stirling 15s, BSA, winchester, remington and a whole lot of others. Plus 15 well known brands of ammo.

He's bench firing each gun from a vice and getting chronographs of each of the rounds at muzzle and again at 25 meters plus group sizing.

He then cuts (Professionally) 1 inch of each barrel and repeats the process. He has 5 of each of the rifles to improve the statistical capture etc. He's taking the barrels down to 3 inches. Yes he's also an international pistol competitor and has shot Bianchi a number of times.

I spoke with him earlier this week and he's already made some huge discoveries and when trying to communicate with Ammo manufacturers and firearms manufacturers is running into a brick wall.

Im not going to spoil his thunder but when he posts all his study online I will make sure you all are able to access it as I believe that there will be some very interesting discussions to be had afterwards.

He's conducting the study as he's right into long range shooting up to 1500M with his own weapons but is also trying to make it economical for everyone by replicating, on a smaller scale with .22LR out to 300M - trust me it's being done here - 4 inch steel targets at 300M and he's got a couple of guys who are hitting 5/5 at 500M - yes they have very good .22 rifles and top of the line optics but it can be done. The big thing being the price of the ammo. $15/round for .338 Lapua Mag or $15 /150 rounds .22 I know where I'd rather spend my money.

I'll keep you posted

George Orwell
radar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

Try this link to see what its all about.

Youtube: Author is Borden Li
If this link doesn't work I'll find it somehow and post it.

www.youtube.com/watch?...r_embedded

George Orwell
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

I would have thought this had been done before, still a new set of eyes is always a good thing.
Theres also plenty of youtube footage of long distance 400m + shooting with .22 rimfires.
From memory 16 inchs is believed to be the most efficient length for a .22 rimfire, it will be interesting to see what data your friend comes up with.

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

Interesting Radar, I await your friends results.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
gelandangan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

I am looking forward to the results too.
This going to be good.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

www.huntingnut.com/ind...t=velocity

dhc4ever wrote:
I would have thought this had been done before, still a new set of eyes is always a good thing.
Theres also plenty of youtube footage of long distance 400m + shooting with .22 rimfires.
From memory 16 inchs is believed to be the most efficient length for a .22 rimfire, it will be interesting to see what data your friend comes up with.

yep, been done before and by more folks than just me. 16 inches may be efficient but it is not the most velocity. I was still getting increased velocity at 27 inches. I also took a hack saw to my Marlin barrel to shorten it.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
slimjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

Fogot to say that I agree with it being good to have another look. Our club does 200 yard 22 matches. They can't do longer because that is the longest range that they have.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

I remembered you had done it Slim.
will be interesting to see final results from Radar
my Norinco .22 is waay to long with the 4" sound modifier on it just need to find spare $65 for rethread and decide what length and make decision to do it.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
...my Norinco .22

ADT? Got two of those, one for the wife and one for my 13 year old. I have a Browning. Great guns, fantastic design especially for lefties.

-DallanC
Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

nope just a good ol bolt action...take off of a bruno I believe, plurry accurate but too long.

PaulS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

All this talk of 400 meters and beyond has me befuddled! I am having a hard enough time at 60 and 80 yards - but then I am not using a bench either. Still, the trajectory of a 22LR is a bit like throwing a rock when you are shooting at those ranges. I'm impressed!

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
slimjim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

Elvis wrote:
my Norinco .22 is waay to long with the 4" sound modifier on it just need to find spare $65 for rethread and decide what length and make decision to do it.

I was going to cut my 22 down to a 16-18" barrel but when I sawed it off at 20" all of a sudden it felt "in balance". Thus I say, take a hacksaw to the barrel and cut it off an inch or two at a time and stop when it feels right. Leave a 1/4" or so for the gunsmith to finish off the job.

radar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

Paul,
Its the same principle as long range big bore shooting, or artillery for that matter. Its always going to be in a parabolic flight, the nature of the game is to see how to be accurate at those ranges.
Just like big calibres you still have to account for all the variables to make the shot count.
Im just learning.
Ive got a Stirling .22 semi. Its got a heavier than normal barrel and is quite accurate, Im putting a 4 - 16 x 50 scope on it with a mildot cross hair.
Ill shoot it in at 4 power at 50 meters and work out the differences at say 25 meters then with a bit of math should be able to work out holds out to 200M without too many problems. Then replicate that against 10 power and 16 power, in other words a whole lot of shooting and recording but once thats done I'll be able to dial in the correct hold over a variety of distances at a variety of magnifications….easy….yeah right!

George Orwell
Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

yip thats about what I figured Slim.....

slimjim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Some interesting news for you all. Reply with quote

radar wrote:
Im putting a 4 - 16 x 50 scope on it with a mildot cross hair.
Ill shoot it in at 4 power at 50 meters and work out the differences at say 25 meters then with a bit of math should be able to work out holds out to 200M without too many problems. Then replicate that against 10 power and 16 power, in other words a whole lot of shooting and recording but once thats done I'll be able to dial in the correct hold over a variety of distances at a variety of magnifications….easy….yeah right!

radar, there is probably an "app" for that but I've created a couple of .xls spreadsheets to do just this. One is for duplex reticles and the other is for mil-dot reticles. You should still be able to use them to do what you need even though its a .22 LR and not a high-power rifle.

The mil-dot thread is

www.huntingnut.com/ind...mpensation

The duplex thread is

www.huntingnut.com/ind...mpensation

Each mil-dot is 3.6" at 100 yards at 10x so you can treat a dot like the post of the duplex reticle. Hmmm, you work in metric world don't you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Small Game Hunting
Page 1 of 2