Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

This happened to me!!
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akroxy
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

Here's a real life story about myself. I went out deer hunting last Sunday here in SE Alaska and about got mauled by a bear. I was sitting watching over this old growth area, been there about 5-10 minutes waiting for a deer to come out. I didn't think this area would have much if any bear activity because there are no major salmon streams around, so consequently I was by myself carrying my .243. Well as I was sitting there, I hear something coming through the trees about 15 feet behind and to the right of me. I looked back there to see a small black ball of fur running through the bushes straight at me. Now all this happen it a matter of 3-5 seconds. I stood up making my self big and yelled. The bear (it looked like a black bear but we don't have any blacks on this island only costal browns) veered off behind the tree I was sitting against and a second bear came out of the bushes in the same spot and also veered off behind the tree. I stepped around the tree on my side and there was one of them snorting and growling, showing teeth and gums at barrel length. I pulled the trigger and hit it, I believe on the inside of the right shoulder. It spun around, slapped my pack and ran down this small knoll. Now he's about 15 feet away, I shoot again, and he runs off. I grabbed my pack and got out of there.

Originally I thought it was 2 cubs and a sow but can't honestly remember 3 bears. So now I think it was two 3-4 year olds chasing one another trying to claim their territory and I just happened to get in the way.

The wifey won't let me hunt alone any more and as soon as I'm done with this post I'm going to go work up a new load for my .300 Win Mag.

Later, D
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked Atleast you can be here to tell about it though!

That happenes in Michigan as well (although size is 1/4 and less what they are there) and that's why all of my camp carry sidearms. You will never catch me in the woods without a pistol (i normally hunt with them as well).

And BTW....Welcome to the site! Very Happy
Flint54

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

Shocked I'm happy to see you are still with us, I sure hope that you have notified local Fish & Game! Having a wounded bear running around is not a happy thought. I lived in Kodiak for a while and assisted Fish & Game in tracking and eradicating 2 wounded Brownies over the time I was there. For those of you who have never had the opportunity let me just say that this is quite exciting to say the least!! Shooting
akroxy
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

I tell you what 515034s10ring in this particular circumstance you would not of had time to draw a pistol. The AK F & G have been notified. I called to follow up today but the trooper I had talked to a Sunday was not avail.

later, D

Flint54

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

akroxy,

Welcome to the site also. I'm glad that F&G are in on it. As you know there is nothing worse than a wounded bear in an area. Others that have not been there have no idea how fast those critters are. I completely agree with you that unless your firearm was in your hand you would not have had time to draw a pistol. Been there, and don't ever want to be again. To this day I can still see and smell the only one that we had to shoot, still gives me the willies when I think about it. Those brownies can go through alder thickits as if there is nothing there but air. Jaw Drop Help Cheers
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

Yeah been there .. Is not fun thing to get into ..
Jack

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

akroxy wrote:
I tell you what 515034s10ring in this particular circumstance you would not of had time to draw a pistol. The AK F & G have been notified. I called to follow up today but the trooper I had talked to a Sunday was not avail.

later, D

I have been suprised by a bear ONCE (thank God that's it... 'So Far'), nearly wet myself before i shot him and found out that day how potent a 10MM was. But as far as having time to draw, i don't know because i wasn't there? I can say though by shooting IDPA and IPSC pistol matches, you'd be very suprised what your abilities are and will become once you are put in that situation. Although, i only do leisure competing now with friends, i'm not as fast as i used to be, but i'm still able to draw from concealed @ .9 sec. and hold +97% accuracy.

And do let us know what the F & G say when you get a hold of them.

Peace
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

Great story, glad you are ok! You never know what can happen in a situation like that. Now we know why some people hunt deer with 375's LOL

-Dallanc
GroovyJack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

375 is my caliber of choice for deer .. HE hE
Jack

kbis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

Glad you are able to tell us about it and that we are not reading about it in the obits.
Needless to say you now have a new pair of shorts Very Happy
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

Wow akroxy, sounds like you had a lucky escape. My butt is playing
"50 cent/5 cent" just thinking about it. Glad to hear that you survived the ordeal.

The closest we come to a real nasty critter here in Australia is a buffalo in the Northern part of the country, although a big kangaroo when cornered can be very nasty. No bears or anything else that will eat you for a snack......thank goodness.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Crackshot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: This happened to me!! Reply with quote

I had to kill a big Blackbear, It tried to get into my blind with me! My 10mm Glock saved my butt that day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 1