Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Gun Buggy
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Now that I am shooting Clays on a more regular basis, I have decided to try and make the experience a little more "comfortable.

When shooting Sporting, I find that we spend a lot of time going through the course of fire, and all that standing around holding my shottie causes my back to start aching. Sooo, I decided to put something together that would allow me to carry a few hundred rounds of 12g, have provision to secure my shottie (I hate putting it on the ground when I have to score or operate the remote releases), and also have somewhere I can park my butt to take the weight off my back. Hence the birth of my Gun Buggy.

I did a search of Ebay and picked up a near new Brosnan Gold buggy for the princely sum of $28...gotta be happy with that. I then sat down and put my mind to modifying it to do what I wanted. One of the main criteria was that I not alter the physical structure (not even so much as a screw hole) of the golf buggy so that, if need be, I could resell it to try something else. I removed the golf bag support and manufactured a support for the shottie...3 in fact.

Then I tried to work out the best way to support the muzzle. Not overall difficult, a simple tray, mounted at the right angle and a EVA rubber insert with three rubber plugs to position the barrel/s.

Was smooth sailing from that point on. I had a spent hull bag made, then made and attached a couple of hooks to hold it onto the buggy. I then attached a platform to the front to put my ammo box on, fitted some shock cord to the top gun support and the ammo box platform.

The end result isn't too bad, even if I do say so myself. Very Happy Laughing

You know...I reckon I could utilise this out in the bush to carry a couple of extra firearms and other odds and sods to assist. Hmmm...food for thought there.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
gelandangan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

NICE!!!

Maybe you got to change them puny wheels to some off road stuff for the bush Vince. Confused

And, I have just noticed!
WHERE IS THE ESKY ???? Confused wtf Evil or Very Mad

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Wheels are surprisingly robust mate...designed to carry a full bag of golf clubs around a golf course. However, if I decide to give it a run out bush I'll see how it goes and if necessary swap the wheels out for some pneumatics.

Esky...it's back in the camp mate, keeping the beer cold for sitting around the fire later at night. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing

Cheers, Vince

Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Vince mate that is waay cool. your inge-ingene- cleverness never fails to impress this Kiwi lad. that is a plurry great idea just rush out and pantent it.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Thanks mate...wish I could claim ownership of the idea, but I actually got the idea from a mate who is doing something similar with a baby's pram and also from seeing the buggies on the net the Cowboy Action Shooters have put together.

Now here's a thought mate...you could incorporate something like this into your duck hunting...make it a damn sight easier to carry home them ducks, geese and trout you manage to get. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing

Cheers, Vince

cbsweeney

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Nice job Vince!
Where I shoot spotring clays they will rent you a golf cart with a gun rack for $20.00, when split with your partner, isn't too bad, but i enjoy walking the course. It's carrying everything that is a problem. I've seen a few carriers cobbled together, but yours has everything, and doesn't look homemade!

stovepipe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Vince- you are the master of innovation and design. You should market that thing, wow!
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Nice gun buggy there Vince, that is awesome. We have quite a few older shooters at our club who would gladly appreciate something like this. I'm heading out this Saturday and will show them your pictures. Good deal Vince.

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Well done Vince! I could use something like that for CAS. Many of the guys have carts but none that nice.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Trust an ex grunt to find a better way, all those years as a pack mule are finally paying off.
Nice job Vince, neccesity is the mother of invention, just surprised its not self propelled..........

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
stovepipe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Now here's a thought mate...you could incorporate something like this into your duck hunting...make it a damn sight easier to carry home them ducks, geese and trout you manage to get. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing

Cheers, Vince

I thought that was what the women were for?...oh wait, that was golf bags and beer coolers, never mind, wrong thread. Is that Suz over there?

Oooo looky- a shiny new ladder...wonder how tall it is.
Joe Boleo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Vince,
Very nice. The folks that shoot our rifle matches have similar carts for their rifle, ammo and assorted gear. Take care...
Joe
Suzanne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Nice job Vinnie!! Was just thinkin about the hot barrels and those rubber parts in contact with them. The shock cord and the rubber pegs. I think you could mount a clays thrower on the back side of it, for those practice sessions in the boonies. Need a caddy?

volunteer
Suz

RePete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

This is what I did Vince.

A jogger stroller and gun racks that are detchable.

Copied from this one.

Now if I can find that beer holder!

Stercus Accidit = Sh*t Happens in Latin.

Nice try = You Suck spelled different.

My parents spanked me as a child. As a result, I now suffer from a psychological condition known as RESPECT FOR OTHERS.
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gun Buggy Reply with quote

Ominivision1 wrote:
Nice gun buggy there Vince, that is awesome. We have quite a few older shooters at our club who would gladly appreciate something like this. I'm heading out this Saturday and will show them your pictures. Good deal Vince.

Thanks guys...but I can't take all the credit for it...my best mate and shooting buddy put the idea into my head...he put together something similar to yours RePete...only he left the baby cradle part in to separate the two "storage" areas. He even used the same sort of gun holders you have on yours.

The one I built is so simple...a top and bottom gun mount which was pretty easy and a 5 ply wooden piece attached to the front. The rest is all standard golf buggy. Next mod might be a mount for a beach umbrella...keep me outa the sun and/or rain.

My problem isn't carrying everything CB...my problem is the standing around on the Sporting Clays range...I have a bad back and after about 30 mins or so I start to seize up which is why I looked for an option with a seat. Also, when scoring or working the remote release I don't like laying my shottie on the ground...too easy to get stood on by big feet.

Only five rounds per barrel max at a time Suz...heat shouldn't be a problem, although I'm glad you mentioned it...I will certainly keep an eye on that. A caddy eh...Suz my sweet...you are always welcome.

Cheers, Vince

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2