No staff members are online!

Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats.
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arron

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

Hey folks.. just got out of a "chat" with some widow/er friends on the internet. And one widow friend out in Central Valley, CA is loosing her brooding stock to feral cats! And at this time it is her only scource of income. If anyone is close by and could be of assistance would you PM me on here. Sorry if this out of line; but this gal is trying really hard to make ends meet and keeps getting chewed up and spit out. I am only asking on here because I am too far away to be of much help to her directly. otherwise I would take of said problem pretty quickly. Thanks all. Much obliged.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

I'd be there in a heartbeat if it wasn't so far mate. I LOOOOVE shooting feral cats.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
dhc4ever

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

Pick me, Pick me!!!
Cats go off like a frog in a sock when you hitem in the head.
Same problem as Vince too far away.

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
gelandangan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

+1 from Aussie..
besides loving to shoot/hunt, I also H A T E cats!!!!
I'll KILL em all..

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

I'd love to help too but a bit too far away, even if I'm not as far as Vince, DHC and Gelan.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Aloysius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

I'll help a little from a distance:

make this:

www.frankonia.de/36895...oryId=7356

and use a left-over-chickenwing or some smoked fish as bait. Works for me.

And since we are no longer allowed to shoot these cats - the red/green-people wants them to be sterilized and put back where you caught them - we also sterilize them now: 15 minutes on about 100 °C works fine...

let there be no misunderstanding: this last part was a joke Smile

And the nice thing about this catching method: when it's the expensive cat of your neighbour you can avoid war in your street. If by accident something happened that shouldn't have happened: put it on the street and drive over it with your car. A car still seems to make people more forgivable than a bullet...

by the way: I-ve been told that cats taste about the same as rabbits, it only smells nasty when slaughter them. And for people getting a little afraid now: you can see the difference on the boneleggs: cats have round leggbones, rabbits oval shaped. I have a friend in a bikerclub who used to have this kind of New Year's dinner. And after the "meal" they always showed the fresh furs... Smile
Arron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

Thanks guys. "preciate the ideas the live trap had all ready come to mind. As well as running a "hot wire" with an electric fence. She is in a total world of hurt and getting alot of disconeect notices. As happens alot when some looses(SP?) a spouse the "family and friends" go away shortly. Sucks but it is reality for far too many. Again thanks folks.

Elvis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

I would be there in a heart beat too. my .223 loves cats almost as much as the 12ga.
a cage trap is probably the best method for an ol gal to use. if the cat caught is feral drop trap and all in a deep bit of water then go have a cuppa tea. fish it out, empty it and reset it. if its the nieghbours prise persian get stuck in with the garden hose till its howling then spin it round n round till you are dizzy then let it go it wont be back in a hurry.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

Aloys wrote:
....let there be no misunderstanding: this last part was a joke...

Damn...I thought you were serious mate...I wuz gonna give it a try. Laughing

A trap is a good idea, and in fact out here in Australia most Councils (Local Govt) will supply traps for you to use.

I like the idea of the electric fence though. They are easy to erect, easy to move when you need to and you can run them on solar power and a 12V battery...my daughter uses these to pen up her horses when necessary. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to put a chicken wire fence connected to power, and earthed correctly, around the relevant areas. Just a matter of setting it up in such a way that a cat will be in contact with it for a few seconds to allow the pulse to hit it and do it's job.

www.nextag.com/solar-p...ducts-html

www.hallman.ca/solar6.htm

Elvis wrote:
...if the cat caught is feral drop trap and all in a deep bit of water then go have a cuppa tea.

If ya gonna go to that trouble mate ya need to make it worthwhile...put the cat in a crab pot...purrrfect crab bait. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

Too bad its in gun unfriendly CA. I'd suggest a couple of live catch traps and just take them to the local animal shelter.

I still chuckle at a crazy wild cat I took down to our local shelter... they were removing it from my trap when it got loose in the back room and went absolutely ballistic in there knocking over equiptment and attacking anything that moved.

Poor girl came back out with my trap and scratches all over her and said "here's your trap back, I'm going to lock up, call my manager and go to lunch and let him take care of it" hahahah.

-DallanC
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

Dallan wrote:
...Poor girl came back out with my trap and scratches all over her and said "here's your trap back, I'm going to lock up, call my manager and go to lunch and let him take care of it" hahahah.

Haha Haha Haha Haha

Cheers, Vince

eeyouelder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

In 2007-08 we had an outbreak of racoon rabies. I was hired by the government to trap and inoculate the racoons. On my first day on the job I caught ten racoons and ten cats. All twenty animals had to be inoculated with an IM vaccine and then tagged. The racoons had a numbered ear tag put on but the cats had a red colored dye sprayed on them as a marker. During that summer I caught more cats than racoons and some of the cats would come back for the free sardine lunch the next day.
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

Get a predation permit and call me I'll be right over with a few varmint rifles. Otherwise, yer looking at jail time.
Arron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

I WILL PASS THIS ON TO HER!!

Thanks folks! And thanks for the use of the forum to try find some help for her.

radar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Friend near Modesto, CA needs some help with feral cats. Reply with quote

I said it once before, if a "good" cat ends up in the cage trap, piss on it then throw flour on it then let it go home to mumsy, vets hate it, cats hate it and will never return. Otherwise for mangy strays half a 44 gallon drum filled with water and see if they swim while in the cage. I'm like elvis .22 .223 and 12g all love fresh kitty

George Orwell
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2