· Comments: 86

Pistol Sights
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSgtCaleb
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

Looks great -makes you want to upgrade to nothing but those sights....

slimjim

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

Elvis, thanks! I found it.

www.trademe.co.nz/Brow...=378474435

I need to find a smaller quantity. That amount could serve the entire forum.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Ominivision1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

Been following this thread closely, heres a link from the states that sell different colors of powder from 1oz on up. I just may have to order an oz and try it and see what the results are. It should be noted that different colors provide different glow times.

Glow Powder

Limitations are but boundaries created inside our minds.
Elvis

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

the lot I bought was about 100grms probably half fill a 12ga cartridge so it is out there in smaller quantitys. you could try printing off the add above and take it to a custom paint shop they probably have some in stock.

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

Not sure if this stuff would be of any great value for night sights as it relies on total dark to be very effect...the more light there is, the less effective it is, or the less bright the luminescence shows.

I think that the best low light sights are the Tritium equipped sights. They will glow regardless of the light level.

In the situation where you are forced to use a pistol to protect your family or yourself, you will not be looking for that perfect sight picture...you will be aiming/shooting instinctively. A 1/2" group or a 5" group ain't gonna matter if it is in the centre of the seen mass that is trying to do you or yours a mischief, be it mugger or bear.

For this reason alone I strongly advocate practice at instinctive shooting so that if ever you are in a situation that requires fast instinctive action, you are well practiced in the drills (a drill is an action you carry out without conscious thought...like a correcting stoppage etc). Chances are you may not even see your sights...just the antagonist in front of you. Once you have carried out your instinctive action the drill is finished and then you start thinking about what you need to do to end the situation. That is when you will consciously start using your sights, but hopefully you won't need them.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

good call Vince its the same with a shotgun the sight is there but instinct takes over and Im only vagaly aware of it unless its a wounded bird on the water or a sitting bunny. Too true on the drill comment, when the smelly stuff hits the wirly thing its what youve practised that you will do, good bad or otherwise.

slimjim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

Took the Advantage Tactical Sights out on my long-slide Glock this morning. Very, very nice. A natural to aim, even in the shade when there the colors don't standout against the bright target. Just had to make a triangle and squeeze! I need to get another set.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

Been doing some sight research myself Slimmers...

Novak's on my Colt are pretty nautral for me. WIDE light bars, medium front blade. Etc...(w/ triji inserts of course)

But- time marches on and some other's have been showing me the news and what not's, yours included, and I dont get out much so....

Held a Wilson Pyramid wide U-notch with Gold Bead font post (not the green thing)...very nice and 100% natural.

Another one that got my attn:
express style shallow V and gold bead fron post....talk about instant sight pic and no occlusion! Yeesh! Like yours cept upside down...And, they makem with triji-serts too- something like this but....I'm thinkin gold bead next time, they register with my eye w/o being a distraction and they pop even with the smallest light. I'd send them both out for serrations if it wasnt already.

Ultimately- sights are like gloves and boots- everyone's comfy with something different. And, it's nice to see what's avail for tryin' on!

on-gun.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.94 KB
 Viewed:  8078 Time(s)

on-gun.jpg

xw7520_si_1008-300x200.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.34 KB
 Viewed:  8082 Time(s)

xw7520_si_1008-300x200.jpg

xw7520_si_0985-300x180.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.03 KB
 Viewed:  8085 Time(s)

xw7520_si_0985-300x180.jpg

shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

I just put a set on my 1911 made by fusion the the standard 3 dot style . It was a inexpensive up grade to the GI Sights that were on it. I just need to go shoot it now Smile

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
stovepipe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

Yeh it was and yeh yo do!
slimjim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

I handled some sights with front dots only at the gun shop. I found I really missed the two dots on the rear sight as a reference.

One aspect if really liked about the Advantage Tactical Sights was the ease of sighting in. POI was about 6 inches high and 3/4 inches to the right. I added the appropirate spacer to the base of the front sight and POI centered. Adjusting windage is done with an allen wrench and sliding the rear sight before retightening. I should have been satisfied with 3/4" as it was four more adjustments before I got it back to within 1/2" of target center. No more having to remember to aim high or low like with my other fixed sights!

stovepipe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pistol Sights Reply with quote

I really like 3 dots too. Very instinctive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 3 of 3